• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sol Press Licenses Chivalry of a Failed Knight Light Novel Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
they don’t sell books anywhere other than Amazon and their own store (and some stuff is exclusive to their store.

which will be odd for me, since i preorder/buy everything LN related from rightstuf (yen press, seven seas, one peace and j novel)...but I've been wanting this one for a while, So ill take it where i can get it!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
It's always good to see something I'm interested in reading get licensed.

Now if only someone would license the Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, or Tokyo Ravens Novels and license rescue Moribito and Scrapped Princess.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy that this is licensed but i'm very unhappy because it's been licensed by a company that seems incapable of releasing anything in even a remotely timely fashion and have only released a single volume of only one novel since may.

Lets hope the fan TL picks up the pace again, just to make a mockery of Sol Press's release speed
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Now if only someone would license the Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, or Tokyo Ravens Novels and license rescue Moribito and Scrapped Princess.

Lord Marksman I would like to see. Especially since the manga only did what the anime did as well as extra stuff the anime skipped on from those early arcs.
hexashadow13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Sol Press is an incredibly small VN localizer, that due to the fact that localizing VNs is never profitable, also does random manga and LNs in order to remain in the black. Hence, their releases for everything are pretty random and inconsistent with little communication as is essentially the standard with VN localizations. It is very strange that they're the ones that got Rakudai.

Sabruness wrote:
I'm very happy that this is licensed but i'm very unhappy because it's been licensed by a company that seems incapable of releasing anything in even a remotely timely fashion and have only released a single volume of only one novel since may.

Lets hope the fan TL picks up the pace again, just to make a mockery of Sol Press's release speed

Fantranslators for this have already dropped it and removed it from their site so that's not happening.

Kruszer wrote:

Thrown me in as well for people that really want a Vanadis localization. It's the LN I'm most interested in that doesn't really have a fantranslation. Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero is probably impossible because the author never finished the LN and probably never will. Shinmai Maou would be a better pick.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Also, we sure this is coming out in print on November 16? Super surprising that this would be the case...seeing as that's only 12 days away and no place online seems to have it up for order...

I believe November 16 is the ebook, and paper books will eventually come out later. Not to mention, they don’t sell books anywhere other than Amazon and their own store (and some stuff is exclusive to their store.

Yeah, I buy most of my stuff from BookDepository. The lack of shipping cost makes them cheapest for me. If I've gotta go through Amazon, I'd do it for this series.

As for what I said, I was wondering because of this in the article:
Quote:

The company will release the first three volumes simultaneously digitally and in print on November 16, and will release subsequent volumes "in set intervals."

Looking at Amazon, they have the ebook listings for vols 1-3 up, but nothing about print editions.

I'd also be super surprised if a publisher were able to throw up a listing for a print edition >3 weeks from release.

Kruszer wrote:
Lord Marksman and Vanadis, or Tokyo Ravens Novels and ... Scrapped Princess.

I'd definitely give my hard earned, if a publisher licenses and prints, these 3 series.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:

I like it when series get licensed but I hate it when it's done late into the game where many volumes are out and have been translated by other groups. Messes everything up when you're a good bit in with a series. This is why I hope High School DxD doesn't get licensed despite wanting to support the creator more. So many volumes are out so waiting for the licensed versions to be released will take a long ass time.

Well, I'm going to get the PDFs for the remaining volumes for Rakudai before it gets taken down.

I hope the Highschool DxD light novels get released regardless. I mean the main HS DxD series ended, now a sequel series is currently ongoing. I hope the first part gets released since they are done now and easier to release as scheduled.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Lord Marksman I would like to see. Especially since the manga only did what the anime did as well as extra stuff the anime skipped on from those early arcs.

Yeah especially since the main Lord Marksman novels have already concluded with 18 volumes. Now there is currently two spinoff Light novel series focusing on Mila & one on Lim respectively.

Tokyo Ravens yes please. But also a forgotten favorite which is the light novel Unbreakable Machine Doll, I liked the anime and I am curious about the light novels as I don't think it ever gotten a fan translation. Not to mention the light novels of UMD ended since 2017 I believe.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
hexashadow13 wrote:
Sol Press is an incredibly small VN localizer, that due to the fact that localizing VNs is never profitable, also does random manga and LNs in order to remain in the black. Hence, their releases for everything are pretty random and inconsistent with little communication as is essentially the standard with VN localizations. It is very strange that they're the ones that got Rakudai.

Sabruness wrote:

Fantranslators for this have already dropped it and removed it from their site so that's not happening.

Kruszer wrote:

Thrown me in as well for people that really want a Vanadis localization. It's the LN I'm most interested in that doesn't really have a fantranslation. Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero is probably impossible because the author never finished the LN and probably never will. Shinmai Maou would be a better pick.

There is a fan TL of Vanadis with 13 volumes done but the translator's kinda died off with only the first two chapters of Vol 14 in the past year and a half.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
@Ali07

As of this morning (eastern US) Amazon had paperback versions listed for the first three volumes with a release date of November 16. Be careful ordering since there are German editions available also.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up Alan45. Super surprised that they've thrown up a print release online so quickly. And I'll make sure I don't order a German edition. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2