• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supamastadan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
As far as the manga is concerned, I personally only collect about 7 manga series currently. I'm a fan of manga and anime and the likes, but I'm fairly scrutinizing about what I buy. And what it comes down to me is the artwork and the story. There are a few character designs I can't stand out there, regardless of it's nationality, may it be japanese, american or korean. Not that my way's right, but it's just how it works for me. Good art, good story; that's what get's me hooked. That being said, I have seen Korean and American stuff that falls short of it's Japanese bretheren. But I don't think it should condem all of the culture's work, you just need to be scrutinizing. The truth is, there are plenty of manga out there that is banking on the "manga" style to sell. That is basicly just a company or a person packaging it like a fad. And I can gaurntee that most of those aren't worth any more than the cost to print it. However, if the author/artist/creator treats the work as a serious work and not just a way to make money, then it's worth being open to. I know that's almost impossible to tell. I suppose my point is this. I don't mind if other people do stuff in a "manga style" I have no opposition to an american drawing a comic that resembles something right out of tokyo. Art is meant to be borrowed from cultures. The stereotype of anime character having big eyes drew from the fact that when japan's animation industry was beginning, they refrenced the cartoon eyes of disney characters. The Disney movie "The Rescuers Down Under" in turn was inspired by Hayao Miyazaki work. "For the beautiful flying sequence of an eagle in Rescuers Down Under, director Hendel Butoy, who regards Miyazaki as "the greatest animator," was inspired by the breathtaking flying scenes that are the signature of Miyazaki's films" (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/miyazaki/impact.html) The point is, it's great to like a style. It's fine to be influenced by a culture or persons within a culture. The important thing is not to just mimic or replicate. The author needs to make it his own. It needs to stand on it's own storyline and hold up against scrutiny and not just rely on pretty pictures.
That's just my opinion.
coconutpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Feb wrote:
i don't understand why people buy anime when you can watch them for free on the internet. i mean, they're free! they're right there, you don't have to pay. i never buy dvds, i watch all my anime on youtube, and i wouldnt be suprised if i saved thousands. putting a dvd in your dvd player, or watching on youtube, whats the difference? crazy people buy anime when they can watch it for free.

Actually BUYING anime shows support for the series and gives the directors and such their paychecks. It encourages them to create more great series for us to watch.

I sometimes watch a few things on youtube, like Black Cat (I wanted to see if it was any good) or a few later Naruto episodes (I wanted to see the episode where Shikamaru allegedly cried... Anime cry ) but I don't watch whole series of anything.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
coconutpenguin wrote:
Actually BUYING anime shows support for the series and gives the directors and such their paychecks. It encourages them to create more great series for us to watch.

Well, what are the consequences if people stop buying? Companies go out of business and fansubbers return as the dominant distributors of anime. Seems to me that anime will be accessible either way.

Don't get me wrong. I buy a sh**load of DVDs and translated manga. But I won't be weeping if companies shut down. As long as Japan is still producing anime, it will find its way to us somehow.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
coconutpenguin wrote:

Well, what are the consequences if people stop buying? Companies go out of business and fansubbers return as the dominant distributors of anime. Seems to me that anime will be accessible either way.

Don't get me wrong. I buy a sh**load of DVDs and translated manga. But I won't be weeping if companies shut down. As long as Japan is still producing anime, it will find its way to us somehow.

Well see, there in lies the problem. It's a global market. When it becomes a global market the studios earn more money and then incorporate that extra income in to their business model. This allows them to hire more, spend more and increase production as well as any other benefit that comes with an increase in income.

Now, first off you're talking about peoples jobs domestically, the last thing we need to do is send the message that we don't care about the health of our own economy because we're too cheap. That doesn't send a very good message.

Aside from that those licensors hand the stuidos a lot of money for licensing. Those companies go out of business and that will severely impact the money that the studios make. It wouldn't drive them out of business but it would have a noticeable impact in either lower quality productions or fewer productions, not to mention it would likely cost people their jobs in Japan as well as the companies would not be able to afford their staff due to the loss of revenue. It would also demonstrate to those companies just how much of a problem piracy has become which would likely increase anti-piracy action.

Nobody buying anime isn't just a local issue that won't effect anything or anyone beyond the licensors and their employees. It would effect those Japanese companies that have incorporated the earnings from licensors in to their bottom line and it would impact fans who watch or prefer dubs which would alienate that portion of the fanbase and would all but ensure that anime falls back in to obscurity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dude, you have to be so miserable to watch full episodes on youtube, I watch a lot of youtube, but funny videos, opening of weird and old series in different languages, parodies, anything quick and fun, youtube own my childhood, but to go and watch full episodes of anime, with 5 minute breaks?

that's why there's bittorrent and avi for!!!

Also, I said it before and I'll say it again, every country has it's own television and what they do in other countries with your national shows is none of your concern, nor you should care about it.

Yeah, so what, people love Seinfeld in osaka, they freak out with "Friends" in Narita and the american companies are actually hurting when people watch these shows in youtube, download them for free on bittorrent, the only people losing money with these acts? the actual japanese that pay the american company to license the show there, All the cast of Seinfeld and Friends got paid already and the show it's done, but unlike Japan, we are not having an anime bubble here, you don't have 128 sitcoms here, so no matter what you do, no matter what you download or "if you support the american companies" nobody cares what you do, so "oh I feel so gulty watching youtube" is an utter bullcrap, is like feeling gulty to be standing in front of a Walmart Tv rack and watch a full movie in an super gigantic HD TV with incredible intergalactic sound and the movie is HD quality, people at WALMART will lose money because:

A) you won't buy the gigantic hd-tv

B)You won;t buy the full movie you are watching (because you watched it already, unless is something you enjoy watching over and over again)

C) the makers of the tv, the electric company, Walmart associates, the creators of the dvd, the creators of the sound system will feel cheated that you got to enjoy all their wasted effort, just going there, kicking back and enjoy the full movie without wasting a penny.

Now who would be so miserable and stupid to stand in front of a walmart Tv Rack watching a movie for two hours?

The same one that goes on youtube to watch full updated episodes of their tv shows (anime, japanese, russian american, what have you)

well, My mistake, they are not miserable and stupid, is just that they don't have the fault that they have free media availiable for them!!!

Everytime I go to the cinema, I do movie jumping, I watch movies I didn't pay for and makes me feel...great!!!

I dont care for support of the companies at all, anime is like the Tv sitcoms for me, is entertainment only, and if the companies put anime in unrealistic and unreachable prices (25.00 for 4 episodes of a show, unnaceptable!!) I will find another way to get my fix, but youtube? that's for homeless people...

Now, don't get me wrong, I did buy the R2 version of Vampire hunter D bloodlust back in the day for 50 bucks, as well I paid 50.00 for the r2 version of Spirited Away, and recently I spent 120.00 in a series that I just adore "Armor Hunter Merrowlink" because I wanna watch it over and over and all those movies were a hot item for me and when I overpaid that price was because there was a 8-10 months wait until they were going to be released in the USA and all my friends enjoyed with me such great stuff.

Bottomline, DO WHAT YOU MUST because at the end, Anime fan, sitcom fan or hollywood fan, if you don't spend money in the company's product, is their own fault, I own all the original ALIENS movies (except Alien vs predator, not even worth downloading) and Aliens comics because they are a great quality reading and worth owning for a 3-4 time rewatch.

And what did you say? American manga? korean manga? in USA the stupid companies are wasting their little chump change in these crap instead of licensing series really worth the reading:

Unforgivable ovelooked manga series:

-GANTZ
-HAJIME NO IPPO
-KOROSHIYA ICHI
-HOMUNCULUS
-GRAPPLER BAKI
-POUND BY POUND
-20TH CENTURY BOYS (still wanting to be released first)
-GA-ROU-DEN
-WORST (cancelled after book 3, unforgivable!!)

So no, I AM AGAINST ANY AMERICAN / KOREAN "manga" Until these titles are licensed and released in this country!!!
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I 100% absolutely agree on the rant. I used to fansub all the time, now I never do it, not because I can't or because I have an overly guilty conscience, but because I just prefer buying series honestly and then hoping they're good. I mean I freaking bought all of Ghost in the Shell season 1 and 2 without ever having seen an episode of either of them, not even on Adult Swim, and so it was a total risk that ended up being more worth it than anything else in my collection (It's my #1). It just feels better to me to watch legitimate DVD's on my TV than fansubs on my computer.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I also like having the actual DVDs to lend to friends. I only have one friend with whom I exchange anime, but at least we are exchanging real discs, with extras, Eng/Japanese audio w/ optional subtitles, etc., not some AVIs burned onto CD-Rs.

I can't understand why some people are so cheap. As long as you're saving some of your income each year, not spending every penny, why fret over $25 DVDs? Come on!
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
0utf0xZer0 wrote:
I don't praticularly like Youtube for anime... mainly because the video quality is pretty bad and lot of uploads mess up the aspect ratio of 16:9 stuff. I remember showing a friend a clip from the new version of Kanon on Youtube and the quality was horrible compared to the downloaded fansub I had.

I don't get all this YouTube hate here.

I, for one, have found lots of good quality videos there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

I don't understand the hate myself. It's not like fansubs of TV rips with that annoying timer in the top left hand corner and random ads popping up at the bottom of the screen and after the opening credits makes downloading fansubs off of Bittorrent that much of an improved alternative to youtube, either. Seriously, complaining about the video quality of something that's free is like complaining when somebody gives you a free box of thin mint girl scout cookies and you get pissed off because you wanted free tagalongs instead. And if you have a problem with reading the subtitles on their screen, that's why they have a little button called "maximize" which enlarges the screen for you. If you still have trouble reading the subtitles after that, maybe you need glasses. Though, I don't use youtube for anime much myself, I like to use it for AMVs and genuis parodies that you can't get anywhere else like Yugioh Abridged. The only anime I watch on youtube is edited dubs of anime that's not available on DVD to kill some time when I'm bored.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Good Quality? On YouTube? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh mercy, I just had to laugh at that statement. I guess for you, you enjoy the compressed format, muliple-uploaded, cut-up "quality" on YouTube. You also can't download it, and if you have to "leave" the website for soemthing, you have to reupload the thing again and start from the begining.

Even the WORST Fansub stuff out there is a far cry from YouTube's stuff.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Even the WORST Fansub stuff out there is a far cry from YouTube's stuff.
Until you've seen those ancient Magic Knight Rayearth RealMedia fansubs, you cannot say that the worst fansub is worse than youtube's quality. Thank goodness for the MKR DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
yeah... right

real media and good quality in the same sentence is an oxymoron
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
What ichido reichan basically wrote:
I'm a selfish, inconsiderate git and couldn't care less what I have to do to get what I want as long as it doesn't cost me money. Youtube own my childhood.
Which you still haven't grown out of, obviously. Rolling Eyes
shahzadmasih

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
"Which you still haven't grown out of, obviously. "

said the mature one that post in a japanese cartoon forum.....

ok, tell me "oh mature one"

did you ever watch "out of this world" "the classic superman cartoons" "samurai pizza cats"?

you are not only insulting me, you are insulting this whole generation of kids that grew up watching stuff that only yoube has now.

and yes, actually you are right, I get what I want without caring for anything else, but...it'snt everyone?

But Mohawk52, I didn't know you are allowed to falsify replies and quote lines that doesn't exist...you are an hedonistic little rodent!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8