• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Motion to Recover Attorney's Fees for Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Oof right in the wallet.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I'm a bit conflicted here. Not about the case itself; I stand with the victims 100% and believe them here. But SLAPP laws are often a way of maintaining power imbalances by proactively discouraging suits by smaller parties against larger corporations and such, and even in a case like this where the cause is a good one I'm a little leery of using this tool.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

I mean, except where these statements cross into the criminal or invasive (like posting a picture of Marchi's front door), I think it's just best to ignore them. Trolls do what they do to elicit a response. I say this full well knowing the privilege that comes with not being a victim of Mignogna and not having experienced abuse to the extent received by his victims and others in the community.

The difference is that Ty Beard has ties to KiwiFarms and to Nick Reikieta who on a daily basis during this lawsuit belittled the defendants, mocked their legal basis, and ginned up hate from his audience. Who else gave Nick those deposition videos? Sure wasn't any of the defendants. This isn't some crowd of anonymous trolls.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he should have listened to actual lawyers and not two bumbling grifters.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Besides the torrential amount of money, seems Mr. Doucette got a good jab in...the R. Kelly of Anime. Anime hyperD I had to chuckle on that.

Regardless, I think the money should be donated to the victims of Vic's assaults too. Not just to the lawyers, but all the victims he screwed over, especially those poor twins too. My god.

As great as that would be, I'm not sure how totally legal that is, since the money would be going to the defendants directly (unless Rial, Toye, and Marchi decide to donate it to them themselves, though I don't see why Funimation would). Also, considering just how many people Vic has been shown to harass, that's going to take a looooooong time.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
What’s annoying now is people are saying the judge is incompetent just because he apparently gets a lot of bad reviews & complaints from other lawyers.

Are judges restaurants now? Can you automatically post a 1 Star if they pissed you off or served a wrong dish?

First it’s a conspiracy, now the judge is willfully incompetent, when does it stop?

I wonder how many of them were losing lawyers? I mean, its just like people bringing up the complaints about Funi on Glassdoor. Rarely do happy people leaving or winning write a glowing review, its always disgruntled employees or those on the losing side bitching.

Quote:
Beard's law firm Beard Harris Bullock Hughes was listed under that name as recently as Friday, but the name now appears as "Beard Harris Bullock Christie" on the firm's official website. The firm's Facebook page was updated with the new name within the past 24 hours. Bryan Hughes is a Texas state senator who was the co-sponsor of this year's bill that limited TCPA's scope. The bill went into effect on September 1, after Mignogna filed his case, and the case is therefore still under the former TCPA law.

This little tid bit piqued my interest. The first part would explain the co-council, but the latter part... There is a stench of conflict of interest (litigation lawyer wanting to limit something that limits his litigations) and also as a proof case. The cynic in me sees this as being used by him as an example of why said laws needed to be limited, which makes me suspect of him as a senator and even more suspect of the firm itself after its other actions.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I know he's done a lot of faults but I have a soft spot since he did my favourite character in persona 3. In the end, I really hope he learned his lesson to never do this to women again. It would have been better if he never did it in the first place. Maybe he will find himself and do more good in the world after this.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
I know he's done a lot of faults but I have a soft spot since he did my favourite character in persona 3. In the end, I really hope he learned his lesson to never do this to women again. It would have been better if he never did it in the first place. Maybe he will find himself and do more good in the world after this.

Given the video he posted on Unlocked last week, I do not think he will ever learn.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
capt_bunny wrote:

Given the video he posted on Unlocked last week, I do not think he will ever learn.

Vic actually said something about anything? He's been really silent about the whole lawsuit. Anyone mind giving a summary?
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
Posts deleted. Report trolls; don't feed them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:

Vic actually said something about anything? He's been really silent about the whole lawsuit. Anyone mind giving a summary?

Pretty curious about this too. Is there a link or summary of what he said and did he address anything about the lawsuit or just spoke generally about how he totally isn't a sex predator and pretend that the twins' affidavits don't exist?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:18 am Reply with quote
I saw a brief clip, and he said something about hugs being under attack and no longer being allowed. Said that like he has no idea what consent is
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I saw a brief clip, and he said something about hugs being under attack and no longer being allowed. Said that like he has no idea what consent is

Was that the one he had in New York? the one at a basement two or three blocks away from Anime New York or a Comic Con NY

In that video he claims he's only in trouble for giving people a hug, when they did't want it "sob sob" his tears are as fake there as they were back in Jan.

[update]

Here is what I have found recently...
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1192171018250543105

Vic is still not sorry. He is still lying.
Biggest lie in this video
"I've not asked for a boat load of money" (he was suing the defendants for over a million dollars)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole put up more of the video - with captions! Very Happy

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1192181012744331264

Apparenlty he thinks suing for millions isn't "a ton of money." I expect he'll soon be recalibrating on that point once he grasps how much he's on the hook for.

I didn't see anything about not knowing what consent is or hugs under attack. Just complaining about "healing the community" meaning without him in it. Well, yeah, Vic, you cut out a tumor, then you heal. You don't heal while it's still active and growing. Confused
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Mike Toole put up more of the video - with captions! Very Happy

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1192181012744331264

Apparenlty he thinks suing for millions isn't "a ton of money." I expect he'll soon be recalibrating on that point once he grasps how much he's on the hook for.

I didn't see anything about not knowing what consent is or hugs under attack. Just complaining about "healing the community" meaning without him in it. Well, yeah, Vic, you cut out a tumor, then you heal. You don't heal while it's still active and growing. Confused

The case is taking on a whole new layer, on Sept. 18th, less than one week after Judge Chupp dismissed 12 of the 17 charges, Vic placed his house into a trust signed and approved by Ty. It's pretty dang obvious Vic wants to declare bankruptcy so he doesn't have to pay the defendants and be able to keep his house.

He's coward. We'll see how the judge looks at this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5