• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Motion to Recover Attorney's Fees for Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
The second paragraph tracks, but speaking as a relatively senior staffer at LCAC in Programming (aka in charge of panels), we didn’t officially advertise his appearance to my own knowledge, and according to my own boss (who is the head of Live Events), Vic was at no time scheduled to appear at the con, since he was the guy who had put the schedule together in the first place, and had no contract to that effect either.

He was definitely on the 2019 schedule. I saw him listed with a panel. I forget the name of his panel, but it seemed REALLY tone-deaf considering the allegations against him. I wish I took a screenshot.

Using Archive.org's Internet Wayback Machine, you can see he wasn't on the schedule in mid-2019, so it's not like some old 2018 data was left in...but then after his name was wiped from the guest list and his panel was removed from the schedule in early July, his name was STILL listed as a panelist on the schedule for a while (even without any panels scheduled).

Using some Google-fu, I did find these screenshots people had posted on Twitter on July 11th (which is apparently when his bio and panels disappeared):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_O5uPVVAAAALDD?format=png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_O2CJ7UcAA9zZm?format=jpg (Google's cache still had him listed even though he was off the site at this point)
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
The second paragraph tracks, but speaking as a relatively senior staffer at LCAC in Programming (aka in charge of panels), we didn’t officially advertise his appearance to my own knowledge, and according to my own boss (who is the head of Live Events), Vic was at no time scheduled to appear at the con, since he was the guy who had put the schedule together in the first place, and had no contract to that effect either.

He was definitely on the 2019 schedule. I saw him listed with a panel. I forget the name of his panel, but it seemed REALLY tone-deaf considering the allegations against him. I wish I took a screenshot.

Using Archive.org's Internet Wayback Machine, you can see he wasn't on the schedule in mid-2019, so it's not like some old 2018 data was left in...but then after his name was wiped from the guest list and his panel was removed from the schedule in early July, his name was STILL listed as a panelist on the schedule for a while (even without any panels scheduled).

Using some Google-fu, I did find these screenshots people had posted on Twitter on July 11th (which is apparently when his bio and panels disappeared):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_O5uPVVAAAALDD?format=png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_O2CJ7UcAA9zZm?format=jpg (Google's cache still had him listed even though he was off the site at this point)

Hmm, then I apologize for giving incorrect information. Looking back through the chat logs I mentioned, I can see where concern about Vic being on the schedule was brought up (I was added to the chat July 14th, so right after his name disappeared from the website), and deliberations over whether or not to announce outright that it was a mistake (again, con owner didn’t want the backlash, especially with his own problems) soon after I joined and made my concerns known.

Again, my boss, the head of Live Events had no idea that Vic was slated to appear at all, and had not been told to block time for him. Might just be ass covering, but knowing him and the other parties involved, that seems to be be entirely on the con owner and his (not native to NY) crew, and he had to hash it out with them.
Talos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Aresef wrote:
He put his house in a trust? What a coward.

Yup, here is the link

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1192210877208023046

It's up in the air if this attempt is going to work. It might not.

You don't have to agree with any of the defendants or plaintiff to acknowledge this was a rational choice for someone who stands to lose their house after a lawsuit - I'm not sure how that makes him a coward. Funimation is incorporated as an LLC (limited liability corporation) for similar reasons; LLC's prevents owners from being liable for the debts of the company they own. Funimation could lose a $Trillion lawsuit, and none of the owners (Sony in this case) will lose any of their personal property beyond the value of their Funimation stock, including their homes. If there's criticism to be had, its for the laws which enable individuals and businesses to isolate personal assets.

It would be a nightmare to get sued and have to spend 10's or 100's of thousands of your own $$. Folks are ticked off about Vic putting his house in a trust, when what we really should all be collectively upset about is why does it cost so much raise or defend yourselves in a lawsuit?
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Talos wrote:
You don't have to agree with any of the defendants or plaintiff to acknowledge this was a rational choice for someone who stands to lose their house after a lawsuit - I'm not sure how that makes him a coward. Funimation is incorporated as an LLC (limited liability corporation) for similar reasons; LLC's prevents owners from being liable for the debts of the company they own. Funimation could lose a $Trillion lawsuit, and none of the owners (Sony in this case) will lose any of their personal property beyond the value of their Funimation stock, including their homes. If there's criticism to be had, its for the laws which enable individuals and businesses to isolate personal assets.

It would be a nightmare to get sued and have to spend 10's or 100's of thousands of your own $$. Folks are ticked off about Vic putting his house in a trust, when what we really should all be collectively upset about is why does it cost so much raise or defend yourselves in a lawsuit?

The absolute banana didn't have to start this lawsuit to begin with. He's being sanctioned because it's frivolous and Texas has strong laws against bringing pointless lawsuits. No one is upset that costs "so much raise or defend yourselves in a lawsuit" because neither of those things are happening here. He didn't have to raise anything, his fans gladly paid for his vendetta. And he's not defending himself either, he's the plaintiff.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 am Reply with quote
Talos wrote:

Just so we're perfectly clear here... Vic isn't being sued. Vic isn't defending himself. Vic is the one suing. Vic is the root cause of Vic's problems.

He stands to lose his house because he filed a frivolous lawsuit. He's a coward because he spent a quarter of a million dollars of someone else's money and is now trying to hide from the consequences of his own choice.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Folks still coming in here and not understanding the most basic aspects of the case, eh? The University of Phoenix Wright failed them terribly.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Talos wrote:

It doesn't matter whether or not your question has an answer. The fact remains that the four defendants collectively would be owing $770k to their lawyers. That is the reality, that is what the defendants would be owing if there was no Anti-SLAPP lawsuit in place. They would be owing $770k + the $5 million if they lost the defamation suit.

Compare this to Vic's situation, he owes nothing to his lawyer. Even if he had a lawyer as good as any of the defendants' own, he has not put up one penny of his own money to fund his lawsuit.
batwing321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Talos wrote:

The absolute banana didn't have to start this lawsuit to begin with. He's being sanctioned because it's frivolous and Texas has strong laws against bringing pointless lawsuits. No one is upset that costs "so much raise or defend yourselves in a lawsuit" because neither of those things are happening here. He didn't have to raise anything, his fans gladly paid for his vendetta. And he's not defending himself either, he's the plaintiff.
Talos made it clear that the issue is for both defendants and plaintiffs in general. Not all lawsuits are frivolous, but it takes more that a lot of folks make in a year to pursue or defend one. So suing for malpractice or sexual harassment is a lot harder, costs a lot more for the average employees making a lot less than the doctors and bosses that may go after them. Let Vic lie in the bed he made on his GFM earnings, but I certainly don't think I should be at risk for ending up homeless if I have a just cause for representation.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Talos wrote:
You don't have to agree with any of the defendants or plaintiff to acknowledge this was a rational choice for someone who stands to lose their house after a lawsuit - I'm not sure how that makes him a coward.

While I wouldn't call someone a coward for taking this kind of action, I can see why someone would. I mean, he is the one that started this lawsuit. So, in some people's eyes, he'd be seen as the aggressor. Doing something to cover his ass could be seen as cowardly, from that viewpoint.

Apparently, before going to Beard, Vic had gone to other lawyers. And, all of them said it wasn't a case to take to the courts. Then Beard came along, and it's been...interesting to see how things have unfolded. Interesting, but unsurprising. Well, maybe some things Beard did were surprises, as many were talking him up before he was in front of the judge and transcripts surfaced. Laughing
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Talos wrote:
You don't have to agree with any of the defendants or plaintiff to acknowledge this was a rational choice for someone who stands to lose their house after a lawsuit - I'm not sure how that makes him a coward.

While I wouldn't call someone a coward for taking this kind of action, I can see why someone would. I mean, he is the one that started this lawsuit. So, in some people's eyes, he'd be seen as the aggressor. Doing something to cover his ass could be seen as cowardly, from that viewpoint.

Apparently, before going to Beard, Vic had gone to other lawyers. And, all of them said it wasn't a case to take to the courts. Then Beard came along, and it's been...interesting to see how things have unfolded. Interesting, but unsurprising. Well, maybe some things Beard did were surprises, as many were talking him up before he was in front of the judge and transcripts surfaced. Laughing

I would say "starting a lawsuit to silence people and then trying to shove all your valuables into a trust so you don't have to pay for the consequences of losing the lawsuit you started" is the very definition of cowardly.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Talos wrote:

I would say "starting a lawsuit to silence people and then trying to shove all your valuables into a trust so you don't have to pay for the consequences of losing the lawsuit you started" is the very definition of cowardly.

Didn't OJ Simpson try this stunt before when the Goldmans sued him for every penny he had and he went on a "I gotta hide my valuables" rampage that eventually got him in trouble and in prison?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
JustinTaco wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Talos wrote:

Didn't OJ Simpson try this stunt before when the Goldmans sued him for every penny he had and he went on a "I gotta hide my valuables" rampage that eventually got him in trouble and in prison?

I don't think that was the way it happened. What it sounded like to me, is that over the 20 plus years OJ had been selling off his personal property to pay off the debts he owed to his attorneys as well as the goldman family, he then used a trip to vegas as a cover to try and steal back some of the property he had sold off.

Financially, the guy still had a pension with which he did not have to worry about the Goldmans being able to siphon, but literally anything he did to make extra money, such as selling off property, book deals, etc, the Goldmans were going to collect some or most of that money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5