• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Motion to Recover Attorney's Fees for Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Doing the math, all together (including the additional $25,000 Funi wants for Mignogna to not file any more suits), that totals to more than $300,000. The other three defendants haven't filed any motions for their attorney fees yet, but I could see them also being pretty high.

...just, yikes.

I'm not sure if this will make Mignogna go bankrupt, but this will surely hurt his wallet for a long time. Do you think he'll try to raise the money via crowdfunding?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
FINISH HIM!
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Doing the math, all together (including the additional $25,000 Funi wants for Mignogna to not file any more suits), that totals to more than $300,000. The other three defendants haven't filed any motions for their attorney fees yet, but I could see them also being pretty high.

...just, yikes.

I'm not sure if this will make Mignogna go bankrupt, but this will surely hurt his wallet for a long time. Do you think he'll try to raise the money via crowdfunding?

Oh the remaining defendants already have posted their attorney fees, costs, and recommended sanctions,

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1191727828481523712
Quote:

<blockquote><p>So it looks like here's the $$$ breakdown

Funi
$268,941 attorney fees
$7,504 court costs
$25,000+ minimum sanctions

Rial / Toye
$375,963 fees
$11,980 costs
$100,000+ sanctions

Marchi
$130,637 fees
$354 costs
$50,000+ sanctions

(Part of the fee reqs are contingent for appeals)</p>&mdash; T. Greg &quot;Discount Popehat&quot; Doucette (@greg_doucette) November 5, 2019</blockquote>
<script></script>

Regardless of which side someone was on this debate, the vast majority of lawyers and professionals who know about defamation law in the United States knew this was a monumentally bad idea to sue. Vic has himself to blame for this. So do his awful fans who encouraged him to go into this lawsuit in spite of experts telling them it was a bad idea.

N V wrote:
So this is how justice dies

Justice prevailed, Vic lost, he used his fame in an ill advised attempt to stifle free speech and criticism that was a legitimate interest to the public. If he hates free speech so much, he should move to Russia.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Besides the torrential amount of money, seems Mr. Doucette got a good jab in...the R. Kelly of Anime. Anime hyperD I had to chuckle on that.

Regardless, I think the money should be donated to the victims of Vic's assaults too. Not just to the lawyers, but all the victims he screwed over, especially those poor twins too. My god.
catbot158

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Oh the remaining defendants already have posted their attorney fees, costs, and recommended sanctions,

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1191727828481523712
Quote:

<blockquote><p>So it looks like here's the $$$ breakdown

Funi
$268,941 attorney fees
$7,504 court costs
$25,000+ minimum sanctions

Rial / Toye
$375,963 fees
$11,980 costs
$100,000+ sanctions

Marchi
$130,637 fees
$354 costs
$50,000+ sanctions

(Part of the fee reqs are contingent for appeals)</p>&mdash; T. Greg &quot;Discount Popehat&quot; Doucette (@greg_doucette) November 5, 2019</blockquote>
<script></script>

Regardless of which side someone was on this debate, the vast majority of lawyers and professionals who know about defamation law in the United States knew this was a monumentally bad idea to sue. Vic has himself to blame for this. So do his awful fans who encouraged him to go into this lawsuit in spite of experts telling them it was a bad idea.

Ah, I didn't see that tweet! I'm not even gonna try to do the math on that, it's just too much. (Also forgot Rial and Toye would do their motions together, I thought they would do them separately.) But goodness gracious, no wonder Mignogna appealed. When would he have to pay all of this?
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
when you play clown games, you really do win clown prizes, huh :^)

get 'im, funimation
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
So where are all the people who kept insisting Vic's case was a slam dunk and that his lawyer was a genius who was gonna demolish the "slander" against his client?

Where y'all at? Laughing
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Have fun in bankruptcy court you monster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The good news is this will probably bankrupt him. The bad news is they're not going to get all the money they're owed.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
We've added a significant update to the article related to the filings of the other defendants this week. The article now lists the totals for Rial, Toye, and Marchi's requests.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The outcry against Vic wasn’t about him being a Christian. It was about him being a pervert. Secondarily, he faced criticism for hypocrisy, doing all these things, cheating on his fiancée, while projecting this facade of godliness. But the primary thing he did was hurt all these people and take advantage of the power he held in this niche community.

When this is all over, though, I think we need to focus on healing. That means being kinder to one another. That means supporting victims. That means making conventions places not just where everyone feels safe, but where people feel empowered to speak up and be believed. We can’t make what happened to all these people un-happen but we can do right by them.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Good. Screw him. He’s a predator. And not even that good a voice actor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The update is a bit confusing. What´s the roundabout total now?

No one persecuted Vic for being Christian, in a Christian country, in TEXAS. I wouldn´t be surprised if everyone in the court who had to testify swore on a bible. No one cares that Harvey Weinstein is Jewish either. The nonsensical whataboutisms on display are skull-splitting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

There are people that are angry at Russia for rejecting communism and especially hate Vladimir Putin for being an outspoken Christian. I am not surprised that someone took a swing at Russia even though the defamation laws in several European countries are even stricter.

Did either of you actually what was quoted and responded to? It said nothing about defamation. I mean seriously, reading is fundamental. And it's also fundamental to grasping what this case is about... Which, again, isn't defamation. It's about a coordinated harassment campaign by Vic, Riekta, and low eyebrow incel demographic to punish people for speaking out against sexual and physical harassment. (AKA "Freedom of Speech".)

Quote:
It was a mistake for Vic to try a defamation case in the United States since the odds were stacked against him

The odds weren't stacked against Vic... He never had a case to start with. I mean that's like saying the odds are stacked against me to fly to the moon by flapping my arms and wishing. It's an utterly nonsensical statement completely disconnected from reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5