• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
This manga really is best suited for volume releases, because not only is the pacing slow, but the bi-weekly release schedule is such a chore to deal with. Now, the slower pacing does seem to work in Mashima's favor, because in case you didn't know, he works on this at the same time as Edens Zero. Plus there are special occasions when he does switch to a weekly schedule (like right now, with him juggling the sequel with Edens Zero and his crossover manga, HERO'S). But with the story jumping back and forth in focus so often, it could take months before any sort of forward motion feels achieved.

To this day, though, my feelings about the sequel remain kind of mixed. It's definitely a step up from the final arc, but there are times when it feels rather awkward. That slight character regression you mentioned has something to do with it, especially with Natsu, who I swear has become dimmer and more oblivious to his own perverted behavior than even the anime did to the manga version. Not to mention, all of its new ideas just raise whole new questions, like what Acnologia was doing if he missed all these dragons or Dragon Slayers, or when/how Lucy found out about Gemini's "turn people into small animals" trick that certainly could've been used in the final battle.

The art also has this weird uncanny valley effect to me. Sometimes Ueda's art looks like it's tracing Mashima's art almost perfectly, while other times it leans more into Ueda's own style. The new characters definitely look more like Ueda creations than Mashima creations, with skinnier or wider faces and more squiggly hair, which doesn't mesh quite as well with the original manga cast as when the artists of other FT manga get free reign with their illustrations. And there's something about the interior of the guild that just make it feel so wide and empty, while Mashima's art felt a little more close and intimate. Compare it to Mashima's art in Edens Zero and HERO'S, which has grown crisper, more detailed, and more dynamic than it ever was at the end of FT's run.

But really, the manga is at its best when it actually feels like it's continuing ongoing character threads or wrapping up unresolved ones. Most of them are rather small, like Sorano joining Sabertooth and becoming a family with Yukino again, but it's especially nice to get acknowledgement of things like Lucy's search for Aquarius's key, or the confirmation that Gajeel and Levy are expecting a baby (some bonus material suggests it's not just one). I especially liked the scene in the tunnel where the team talks about what the right thing to do is, and Erza puts into words pretty much Mashima's whole approach to what makes the heroes of Fairy Tail stand out from the crowd: they fight to survive and protect their way of life.

If I had to put my finger on how I feel, it's like reading a somewhat higher-quality Fairy Tail filler arc: it's full of interesting ideas that flesh out the characters in ways the original manga didn't, but at times it feels like an imitation that doesn't quite grasp the feel of the original. And that's saying something given that the author himself is a storyboarder, which makes me wonder if Mashima is actually writing the story at all, and not just following someone else's notes. After all, it's not simply that Mashima didn't want to write the sequel and had his hands tied; the project was already underway before they got him on board.

On a side note, I'm fairly certain the deal with Mavis and Zeref was always meant to be up to the reader's interpretation. I dare not go too deeply into spoilers, but there is a point in the sequel that raises the question of just how "alive" they really are.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ueda also has problems drawing Erza's armors, he always places the "View" kinda far away or only shows part of it, can't blame him, some of them are quite high level designs.

Anyways, I like it, not "Love it", but it's fun enough and characters and their interactions keep their charm, nobody has done anything out character and most stuff it's possible inside the FT world, I am glad there is no "NatsuxLucy" thing, I have said it before but there is 0 romantic chemistry between the 2.

Regarding Zeref and Mavis, well, I prefer to ignore that final scene with the 2 at the end, it made 0 sense for the 2 to be adults, I wouldn't mind if they were babies but, full adults?

Sorry, that's the only thing I really didn't like on FT.

As a side note, the whole Manga it's worth just for spoiler[Jellal fighting Erza on his underwear to weaken her]
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Regarding Zeref and Mavis, well, I prefer to ignore that final scene with the 2 at the end, it made 0 sense for the 2 to be adults, I wouldn't mind if they were babies but, full adults?

As I said before, it's clear we're meant to come up with an idea for who those two really are and why they're so similar to Mavis and Zeref, since Mashima's plan was just to keep them dead and gone (according to Volume 62's afterword, which was removed from the English release, probably because that part of the story wouldn't happen yet in that volume). For instance, one theory is that Lucy was remembering her party in a dream and those two appeared as part of it, which would explain why no one mentioned anything about them afterwards.

But since we're so used to Mashima bringing characters back or making it seem like they died when they conveniently survived for contrived reasons, of course people would expect them to just be alive again. So much so that Mashima has actually killed off characters in Edens Zero and spent a great deal of time making sure we know just how dead one particular character is, but that's besides the point.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Ueda also has problems drawing Erza's armors, he always places the "View" kinda far away or only shows part of it, can't blame him, some of them are quite high level designs.

Anyways, I like it, not "Love it", but it's fun enough and characters and their interactions keep their charm, nobody has done anything out character and most stuff it's possible inside the FT world, I am glad there is no "NatsuxLucy" thing, I have said it before but there is 0 romantic chemistry between the 2.

Sorry, that's the only thing I really didn't like on FT.

As a side note, the whole Manga it's worth just for spoiler[Jellal fighting Erza on his underwear to weaken her]

fairytailcouples.fandom.com/wiki/NaLu#Relationship would like to say "Hi!". You might say something like "Someone could easily write something false on a wiki page". This is true and I have seen false things written on a wiki page. However, when the references are listed and there are places that you can officially access them to check for yourself, that claim might not carry as much concern.

Also, while I am a NaLu fan who is waiting for Natsu and Lucy to kiss and confess, the way that the NaLu ending for the final chapter of the original main series was handled a lot better than pairings like NaruHina were handled. Furthermore, Mashima-san occasionally puts NaLu fan-art that he drew on his Twitter page.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1