• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecritter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the reviewer about the handling of Kircheis' death. It was much better handled in the original anime. Reinhard's reaction was just too childish and whiny. This didn't fit the character or the narrative well. This pivotal and essential chapter was sloppy and ham-handed. I hope the next episode redeems it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Intranetusa wrote:

No. The reviewer has seen the 1990s OVA version of this series and/or read the source novels. This wasn't a fake conversation.

well i haven't seen the ova nor read the light novels so i cant argue with someone who has, but if thats the case then HOLY DAMN!!!

SHE IS EVEN MORE TWO FACED THAN THOSE NOBLES OR EVEN RUDOLPH!!!

what she did more or less contradicts the promise she had seig made to her in ep 3 about NOT letting her brother meeting the same fate as the wild & arrogant goat only to fall off a cliff aka to not let him go down the wrong path!!!

instead by doing this she have all but guarantted that this will lead him to that path that she tried to steer him away from which dont sound like her at all!!!!!

and it more than a certain that its going to be up to hilda to steer him back on the right track!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:

No. The reviewer has seen the 1990s OVA version of this series and/or read the source novels. This wasn't a fake conversation.

well i haven't seen the ova nor read the light novels so i cant argue with someone who has, but if thats the case then HOLY DAMN!!!

SHE IS EVEN MORE TWO FACED THAN THOSE NOBLES OR EVEN RUDOLPH!!!

what she did more or less contradicts the promise she had seig made to her in ep 3 about NOT letting her brother meeting the same fate as the wild & arrogant goat only to fall off a cliff aka to not let him go down the wrong path!!!

instead by doing this she have all but guarantted that this will lead him to that path that she tried to steer him away from which dont sound like her at all!!!!!

and it more than a certain that its going to be up to hilda to steer him back on the right track!!!

I won't say much due to spoilers about the other parts of your comment, but iirc, I read that Sieg's death hits Annerose very very hard. I've read some people say Annerose even blames Reinhard for Sieg's death, but I haven't read the books to say for sure. It's also believed that she wants to insulate herself from further deaths, as it's possible that Reinhard may also die in war.

Another reasoning is that she represents the past and he is the future, and her presence will hold him back and prevent what he needs to do to conquer his opponents...which could mean potentially fatal mistakes.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more that Annerose represents the past that Reinhard needs to grow out of. He's not the "admiral of the skirts," or whatever, and he needs to be laser-focused on building something new instead of tearing down the old. This is also why, I think, Tanaka made sure all of the people surrounding Reinhard are new up-and-comers. Realistically someone like Merkatz would have fit in well, but thematically there's no place for the old guard in the new empire.

And this week's review brought up something I'd forgotten I loved about the story: the lesser evil. LoGH does something really cool that I've seldom seen done in fiction, where the side that is the "lesser evil" changes over time--and the characters themselves recognize the change. What elevates LoGH from good to great, imho, is simply the fact that spoiler[Yang eventually realizes that Reinhard represents the "lesser evil," and that his hegemony would be a net positive for the galaxy, but is determined to fight against him for purely ideological grounds--and, ultimately, Yang ends up persuading Reinhard... resulting in a very, very hopeful ending.]
Kirki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
About yaoi shipping: It happens. Accept it. It literally should not affect you or your enjoyment for the series at all, since it is something that exists outside of it, unless of course it is later made canon. What usually happens is when there is love or any kind of a very strong bond, even hate, it's easy to interpret it as romantic love, even if it is obvious that it is not. I mentioned those relationships because they are the strongest and because I wanted to point out that merely because some fans ship it romantically, it doesn't mean the platonic/friendly/filial bond does not exist, or that the series should be reserved and careful with it instead of giving it their all like they did in the OVAs.

About Annerose: Yes Kirchieis' death hit her hard and yes she acted cruelly towards Reinhard, but she did so both to help him and the Empire from collapsing. She left him because that would leave him with no choice but to go forward and fulfill the promise to Sieg instead of letting everything burn and crush to the ground. He had gathered so much power at the time that everything in the Empire were up to him; one wrong or weak move from his part and the cost would be tremendous. She just couldn't allow him to hide behind her prescense or wallow in his own misery. Cruel? Yes. Effective? Absolutely.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
About yaoi shipping: It happens. Accept it. It literally should not affect you or your enjoyment for the series at all, since it is something that exists outside of it, unless of course it is later made canon. What usually happens is when there is love or any kind of a very strong bond, even hate, it's easy to interpret it as romantic love, even if it is obvious that it is not. I mentioned those relationships because they are the strongest and because I wanted to point out that merely because some fans ship it romantically, it doesn't mean the platonic/friendly/filial bond does not exist, or that the series should be reserved and careful with it instead of giving it their all like they did in the OVAs.

About Annerose: Yes Kirchieis' death hit her hard and yes she acted cruelly towards Reinhard, but she did so both to help him and the Empire from collapsing. She left him because that would leave him with no choice but to go forward and fulfill the promise to Sieg instead of letting everything burn and crush to the ground. He had gathered so much power at the time that everything in the Empire were up to him; one wrong or weak move from his part and the cost would be tremendous. She just couldn't allow him to hide behind her prescense or wallow in his own misery. Cruel? Yes. Effective? Absolutely.

which is way out of character from what i have seen so far, which was why i thought she had to have been a double created by paul! far too cruel. even for her.

and its kinda working against the the promise she had sieg take back in ep 3 of the first season cause that kind of emotional isolation would easily make him the next rudolph!

also that type of absolute power without a personality like sieg or hilda to keep his ego in check can easily go into reinhard's head and make annerose's worst fears a reality which is him becoming a wild goat whose tragic destiny is falling off a cliff cause its too proud for its own good!

also from the looks of the end credits, its more than clear that the church of terra's elder leader is talking about our old bastard job trunich considering that the emperor is a kid and there is no way those two are in league with terra.

definitely will make things quite interesting now that their about to make their moves starting with fezzan stop pretending on its netural standings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
I want a season 3 announcement already danggit.
Realismfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Earth spoiler[In the final scene of episode 24(following the credits) we are shown the pitiful state of the earth in the LOGH. Perhaps it reflects Tanaka's view that earth does not have much hope to survive what humanity will do to it in the real world. Probably inspired by the state of the modern middle east, originally the birthplace of human civilization, now a desert. However, the middle east is far from an uninhabited wasteland, then again humans always find new and worse ways of destroying the ecology out of greed. Still, Earth has been subject to numerous cataclysmic mass extinctions throughout its history and life always found a way to recover and repopulate. Whatever humans do to earth it will probably be able to recover eventually after a few million years. Even the Earth in LOGH might find a way to recover on its own, but in both the LOGH universe and the real world humans will have long since left earth by that time.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2