• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Unrealized Western Anime Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to that live action One Piece series that was supposed to happen? I can't imagine that actually looking good with all the CGI necessary for so many characters.

Also, it's surprising this conversation has made it this far without anyone bringing up the infamous live action Dragon Ball movie.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
There's a few anime that might work in a Hollywood without the need for them to white-wash or name changes, but none on this list are it, though.

The ones I think could work are:

Trinity Blood
Attack on Titan
Fullmetal Alchemist
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I always keep saying Hollywood should make live action Hellsing. It already takes place in England and the plot isn’t overly complicated and casual audiences love vampires.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To be pretty fair Japan itself isn't too much better with their live action adaptations that have japanese actors playing characters that aren't asian in the source material.

Japan's approach to live-action is completely different though. Japan doesn't change the race because they don't think movies starring non-Japanese won't do well or they're culturally appropriating another country's work; they do it because their population is almost 100% homogeneous and there's not many foreign actors in the industry.

Japanese live-action films are also just mean to to be side projects, not overtake the anime adaption or original manga. In America live-action adaptions are considered the de-facto versions of comics and books, completely overshadowing the source material. The same is true for Hollywood remaking anime. They know your name will never catch on with the average American viewer, so they need an American director to make a live action version so Americans can take the movie seriously since animation has such a stigma in the west.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Whatever happened to that live action One Piece series that was supposed to happen? I can't imagine that actually looking good with all the CGI necessary for so many characters.

Also, it's surprising this conversation has made it this far without anyone bringing up the infamous live action Dragon Ball movie.

I think we all blocked out Evolution from our brains. No one in that train wreck puts it on their resume.

As for One Piece, they hired a writer (Matt Owens from Luke Cage) in July and want to give the series a budget equivalent to Game of Thrones. Other than that, the only notable thing was a false rumor they were going to cast a black woman as Nami (which of course resulted in death threats against the actress) but the rumor was quickly debunked.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Takato: Hugh Jackman already did a live-action Hellsing, except it was called Van Helsing. Laughing
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
Surprised no one mentioned that Robotech movie...
Borderite92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:13 am Reply with quote
What ever became of the American version of Star Blazers that director Christopher McQuarrie had purchased the right in 2011? Of course the Disney version in the 90's would have removed all Japanese reference.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:

Well the article is about live action adaptations that are either in development hell or were considered before being put down.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Japan's approach to live-action is completely different though. Japan doesn't change the race because they don't think movies starring non-Japanese won't do well or they're culturally appropriating another country's work; they do it because their population is almost 100% homogeneous and there's not many foreign actors in the industry.

Even then one creates a double standard when they criticize the American film industry for having white actors play ethic characters but Japan does the inverse and it's largely handwaved.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Japanese live-action films are also just mean to to be side projects, not overtake the anime adaption or original manga. In America live-action adaptions are considered the de-facto versions of comics and books

Adaptations of any work on meant to be that an adaptation. I've not heard of a single live action adaptation in Hollywood displacing it's source material for relevancy like with Akira or The Ghost In The Shell movies/TV series.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
completely overshadowing the source material. The same is true for Hollywood remaking anime. They know your name will never catch on with the average American viewer, so they need an American director to make a live action version so Americans can take the movie seriously since animation has such a stigma in the west.

.....Animation has no stigma in the west unless we're talking CGI. The issue in this case is that anime just isn't really treated with the same level of reverence as it is in Europe, South America, Asia, or even countries on the same continent as us such as Mexico & Canada.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Borderite92 wrote:
What ever became of the American version of Star Blazers that director Christopher McQuarrie had purchased the right in 2011? Of course the Disney version in the 90's would have removed all Japanese reference.

IIRC no one really knew what to do with the script so they let it lapse. They had no idea what tone to use.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While everyone talks about the infamous Toon Makers Sailor Moon, one planned remake that isn't talked about as much was when Disney tried to make a live action film remake of Sailor Moon in the 90s. No plot details ever surfaced and I don't know that it's known how far they ever got into writing a script. The only thing we knew about it was Geena Davis was cast as Queen Beryl and she was a big driving force of the film. I also remember rumors of everyone from Melissa Joan Heart to Lindsay Lohan being cast as Serena. More recently, whatever happened to that live action Sword Art Online TV show Netflix had planned?

Wasn't that around the same time that the Mouse was also developing its own Star Blazers remake (I think with the involvement of designer Sid Mead)? From what I've read about the treatment, we dodged a bullet on that one.

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
[quote="Beatdigga"]
GATSU wrote:
It’s only a manga, but if it had an anime, Lone Wolf and Cub would be in there, too.

I don’t suppose you can count Road to Perdition.

I wouldn't count it. Max Collins may have been influenced by the Lone Wolf & Cub manga, but his story wasn't really based on it, and I don't think you could say that for the movie adaptation either.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Adaptations of any work on meant to be that an adaptation. I've not heard of a single live action adaptation in Hollywood displacing it's source material for relevancy like with Akira or The Ghost In The Shell movies/TV series.

As a Tolkien fan, I have to say what they're saying is definitely true. I run into this problem all the time. I remember trying to find Lord of the Rings figures not based on the movies, and the only ones I could find were old stuff that came out prior to the movies. Although even those had their fair share of Ralph Bakshi version toys. The chances of any company focusing on the original book versions of the characters for merchandising are very low, especially high-end merchandise.

I imagine the same is true for similar popular adaptions of books. Game of Thrones and Harry Potter also seem to only focus on the live-action adaptions. The official Harry Potter theme park is all movie-based, as is the official website for the franchise which is a bit telling. And of course there's superhero movies where most people are only going to know or care about the MCU versions of characters. At least comic book characters still get some merchandise based on the source material, but with Feige now helming the comics who knows what'll happen in the future.

Meanwhile, even with the popular and successful live-action adaptions of manga in Japan, like Gintama and Ruroruni Kenshin, all the merchandise that still comes out is based on the original manga and anime versions of the characters. If merch based on the live-action versions does exist, it certainly hasn't eclipsed the original versions like is so common in America.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I heard rumours of a live-action Akira since the 90’s.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

As a Tolkien fan, I have to say what they're saying is definitely true. I run into this problem all the time. I remember trying to find Lord of the Rings figures not based on the movies, and the only ones I could find were old stuff that came out prior to the movies. Although even those had their fair share of Ralph Bakshi version toys. The chances of any company focusing on the original book versions of the characters for merchandising are very low, especially high-end merchandise.

Well things are about to get even heavier with another adaptation coming up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4