• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Unrealized Western Anime Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
"Hollywood anime adaptation" is something that makes me cringe every time i hear about it because of the long dark story of what happens every time Hollywood tries to do anime adaptations.
The only one so far that was somewhat good was "Alita: Battle Angel" and even that one had some problems.

So no, it is very difficult to think of buy a ticket for any Hollywood anime adaptation.

Well we used to think the same with comic book film adaptions.

Then again it took Marvel self funding it's films and selling distribution to start the MCU.

So maybe we need Sony or AT&T to put someone from Crunchroll or Funimation as overseer of a live action adaption of an anime property.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Weta Workshop concept art revealed plans for Westernization of the story with characters named "Ray" "Kate Rose," and "Susan Whitnall.

Are Americans so weakminded that they have a mental breakdown if a character has its own Japanese name??

Poor little snowflakes...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Quote:
Weta Workshop concept art revealed plans for Westernization of the story with characters named "Ray" "Kate Rose," and "Susan Whitnall.

Are Americans so weakminded that they have a mental breakdown if a character has its own Japanese name??

I dunno, why the hell does every isekai have some bland Japanese college student?

It’s called writing who you know. And it’s not like some great works haven’t arrived from this, like The Magnificent 7.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Quote:

I dunno, why the hell does every isekai have some bland Japanese college student?

It’s called writing who you know. And it’s not like some great works haven’t arrived from this, like The Magnificent 7.

Joe Haldeman says "write what you know" is responsible for novels about middle-aged professors of English contemplating adultery, so....
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Quote:

Bland is subjective, but I'm trying to think of a single isekai that has a college student... the only one that comes to mind is Tate no Yuusha (although bland is not the word I'd describe for Naofumi).

Kazuma from Konosuba was a high schooler.

Subaru from Re:Zero was a NEET.

Momonga from Overlord was a salaryman from the future.

Tanya from Youjo Senki was a manager at an evil company.

Main from Honzuki no Gekokujou was a librarian.

Itami from gate was a JSDF soldier.

Mikami from Suraimu was an office worker.

Miaka from Fushigi Yūgi is a middle schooler.

Kagome from Inuyasha is an apprentice priestess

Where are you getting your information from?
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
Quote:

Bland is subjective, but I'm trying to think of a single isekai that has a college student...

Where are you getting your information from?

Not even just isekai, how many anime in general have college or even college-age characters? Its usually teens or working adults.

Anyway, the OP reminds me of the situation with Edge of tomorrow which changed everyone's name except Rita, but then they changed Rita's nationality. The thought process for how characters get changed in adaptations is baffling.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

How are those even remotely comparable? One is an original work made in a foreign country for their own people and the other is an American adaption meant to erase foreign cultures and voices and passing it off as your own. Are you really getting that upset that other countries make stories that don't focus on Americans?

The answer to his question is yes. That's why we still see Japanese culture being removed from games, adaptions, and anime dubs coming into the year 2020. And unlike other minority groups in America, it's seen as perfectly acceptable to erase Japanese culture and not a taboo thing at all by the general public.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

How are those even remotely comparable? One is an original work made in a foreign country for their own people and the other is an American adaption meant to erase foreign cultures and voices and passing it off as your own. Are you really getting that upset that other countries make stories that don't focus on Americans?

I’m saying people localize things all the time, to introduce stories through a familiar cultural lens, whether it be that miniseries with the Indian Spider-Man or other localizations. These things happen and it’s not just Americans that do them.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

I’m saying people localize things all the time, to introduce stories through a familiar cultural lens, whether it be that miniseries with the Indian Spider-Man or other localizations. These things happen and it’s not just Americans that do them.

God forbid you're exposed to something outside your "familiar cultural lens".
Why can people not comprehend that they're not the center of the universe??
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of "write what you know" I think there's a bit of a difference between a light novel author with limited research funds versus a rich and famous director who can afford to hire research consultants to help develop their stories and the settings they work with. And if directors think a story they're adapting is beyond their capabilities, maybe don't do it and adapt something else instead? I think that's partly why so many live action anime remakes turn out so badly because Hollywood directors refuse to accept the limits of what they're capable of directing and admit when they're in over their head. Like putting aside the casting controversies, who thought Rupert Sanders had enough directorial experience to take on a complex sci-fi like GITS?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
God forbid you're exposed to something outside your "familiar cultural lens".
Why can people not comprehend that they're not the center of the universe??

Not for nothing but this boomerangs back while it can be nice to experience an aspect of another culture at the same time it's also not a big deal breaker (sometimes) if stuff is changed to make something more palatable to another culture.

And plus there's the fact that certain things that may be acceptable in one culture isn't necessarily going to be accepted in another culture.

Crispy45 wrote:

The answer to his question is yes. That's why we still see Japanese culture being removed from games, adaptions, and anime dubs coming into the year 2020.

Those two things tend to only apply to works that are aimed at kids like a Pokemon or Yokai Watch the latter of which still kept it's Japanese folklore gimmick despite it being americanized.

Crispy45 wrote:

And unlike other minority groups in America, it's seen as perfectly acceptable to erase Japanese culture and not a taboo thing at all by the general public.

You mean aside from that time when they tried to cast a white guy to play a japanese character in the recent Hellboy movie which came behind the whole bruhaha over Scarlett Johannsan in GiTS?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4