• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report: Japan Arcades Dropped From 26,000 to 4,000 in 32 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Japan's population has also been decreasing for a long while, with fewer and fewer youths every year

Well, considered how crowded Japan is, that could be a reason why! However, Japan's population is minute compared to those of India and China!

Eh, I think that's a bit misleading.
Japan's population has grown constantly until about 2010. At that point its population growth started to go below zero, but only ever so slightly. So, Japan's population was growing throughout most of the time period the article reports on, and it's been essentially for the last decade (roughly speaking).

It's not a drop in population which caused this, it's simply that people are choosing other activities over arcades. With the growth of home video a few decades ago, home video games being invented shortly thereafter, and of course today's internet and streaming it's hard for arcades to compete for people's attention.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This isn't really any different that the history of arcades in the US, is it? There used to be more places you could go and waste your quarters back when I was a kid and now it's just not as common.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Eh, I think that's a bit misleading.
Japan's population has grown constantly until about 2010. At that point its population growth started to go below zero, but only ever so slightly. So, Japan's population was growing throughout most of the time period the article reports on, and it's been essentially for the last decade (roughly speaking).

While true, that's a bit misleading statement in itself as it doesn't count for the fact that Japan's demographics have been skewing older and the slice of the preteen population declining at an almost constant rate ever since the 1950s.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

While true, that's a bit misleading statement in itself as it doesn't count for the fact that Japan's demographics have been skewing older and the slice of the preteen population declining at an almost constant rate ever since the 1950s.

You're right that Japan's demographics did shift slightly older during that time period, but a it's a very small change compared to the massive drop in arcade attendence. Meanwhile, that raising of the median age had no effect (quite the opposite, really) on other activities perferred by younh people, such as video games. If the population demographics were a significant factor then things like video games and toys would have taken a hit too, and they didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2