• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Fairy Tail Hands-On

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm far more interested in the Fairy Tail game now that I know it won't be an arena brawler or a Dynasty Warriors clone. For some reason, a turn-based RPG just feels like a better fit.

With all the wanton destruction in the series, I think it being turn-based is a WORSE fit.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm far more interested in the Fairy Tail game now that I know it won't be an arena brawler or a Dynasty Warriors clone. For some reason, a turn-based RPG just feels like a better fit.

With all the wanton destruction in the series, I think it being turn-based is a WORSE fit.

Couldn't they have at least made it an action RPG, a la SECRET OF MANA?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Even as a fan a turn based JRPGs I can't help being a bit suprised and a little disappointed that Fairy Tail is going to be turn based. At least it wouldn't have been my first choice for combat.

After what happened with World Seeker and given the overabundance of fighting based anime games they really were in awkward spot here.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I am so. Freaking. DONE with the Sword and Shield discourse, especially those who insist on nitpicking "technical" aspects despite their "expertise" coming exclusively from hack channels like Digital Foundry.

I don't think Digital Foundry has made any videos about Sword and Shield. I get that YouTube is generally seen as the enemy here on ANN, or perhaps more accurately, the competition, but the random jab this time around seems fairly hypocritical given that for the past few week this column has dogpiled on various uproars and controversy within the industry like Bethesda and Blizzard stuff. I suppose the takeaway is being "shoutymen" is all fine and good until it's about a product or company the writer likes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
There's a bit of daylight between "this company supports lazy and dishonest gamemaking" an "this company supports the oppression of minorities, concentration camps, and cultural genocide." It's not that hypocritical to support outrage for the latter but not the former.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
There's a bit of daylight between "this company supports lazy and dishonest gamemaking" an "this company supports the oppression of minorities, concentration camps, and cultural genocide." It's not that hypocritical to support outrage for the latter but not the former.

Pretty much; one is a slight inconvenience that is just a matter of opinion regarding entertainment. The other is a HUGE political and social issue that goes so far beyond just gaming. These are not equal in gravity
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I am not at all saying some people have not gone way to fair or that some did not have less then pure motives for their criticism.

But can we please stop making it sound like people who actively dislike/ are disappointed by sword and shield are the problem. game freak has seriously messed up on many aspects of sword and shield and I think it's fine to say that this looks like an early access pokemon game rather then the normally polished releases we see in the series.

I mean hopefully we can see free dlc polish the game...but we all know that pokemon gun is going to be the normal quality level of game we see for this gen.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
But can we please stop making it sound like people who actively dislike/ are disappointed by sword and shield are the problem.

Given the well known toxicity that exists in this fanbase it's incredibly hard to separate the just criticism from people just complaining for the sake of complaining. Which is why many people are just ignoring it altogether.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

game freak has seriously messed up on many aspects of sword and shield and I think it's fine to say that this looks like an early access pokemon game rather then the normally polished releases we see in the series.

Gen 1 was polished?

First I've heard of this.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I mean hopefully we can see free dlc polish the game...but we all know that pokemon gun is going to be the normal quality level of game we see for this gen.

No we don't know, we don't even know if they'll be a third game much less it's title or whether they'll just jump into the DSP remakes or just do like Black & White 2/Ultra Sun & Moon.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

-Sonic: Feel for the poor animators who have to crunch to make a deadline with this. Producers are morons

The movie was delayed to February 2020 so they wouldn't have to crunch on it.

Also while it is disappointing the Fairy Tail game lacks a dub, the upcoming One-Punch Man fighter WILL have one...which hopefully bodes well for the second MHA One's Justice game.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain this column was talking around fake Fallout 76 reports a couple weeks ago and passing them off as definitely true stories for the sake of filling the article that week. Just something I remembered when I read the phrase "complaints from sources of dubious quality" about deflecting the SwSh complaints.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
But can we please stop making it sound like people who actively dislike/ are disappointed by sword and shield are the problem

It would be nice, but I doubt it. "Toxic fandom" has become to new defense to deflect any and all criticism against companies or brands over the past couple of years.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Given the well known toxicity that exists in this fanbase it's incredibly hard to separate the just criticism from people just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Let's be honest here: You can, you just don't want to. It's quite easy to focus on the numerous legitimate criticism and ignore the obvious trolls, but it's even easier to avoid the discussion altogether by lumping them together and washing your hands of it entirely.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Except that's a gross misconstruction of what actually happened. Stop acting like the whole Blizzard thing wasn't about a guy being banned for talking politics on a stream and breaking the rules, and somehow enforcing that means a company supports genocide or concentration camps. You protesting Blizzard does not make you a hero, nor will somehow take down the evil Chinese government if one random video game company goes Bankrupt. It was never about anything more than one eSports player. That's why 99% of people stopped caring about it after he got his prize money back and the issue was considered resolved.

Regardless, you completely ignored the other part of my post which I mentioned Bethesda which has no wiggle room for you to try to play the false equivalencies card.

Commander Cluck wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain this column was talking around fake Fallout 76 reports a couple weeks ago and passing them off as definitely true stories for the sake of filling the article that week. Just something I remembered when I read the phrase "complaints from sources of dubious quality" about deflecting the SwSh complaints.

Yes, that was pretty much what I was referring to when I mentioned Bethesda. It came off even weirder because that stuff had nothing to do with Japan or Japanese games, and just felt like Heidi was trying to jump in on the outrage bandwagon.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Except that's a gross misconstruction of what actually happened. Stop acting like the whole Blizzard thing wasn't about a guy being banned for talking politics on a stream and breaking the rules, and somehow enforcing that means a company supports genocide or concentration camps. You protesting Blizzard does not make you a hero, nor will somehow take down the evil Chinese government if one random video game company goes Bankrupt. It was never about anything more than one eSports player. That's why 99% of people stopped caring about it after he got his prize money back and the issue was considered resolved.

Regardless, you completely ignored the other part of my post which I mentioned Bethesda which has no wiggle room for you to try to play the false equivalencies card.
"Nazis and the Yankees aren't worse than the Red Sox."

"No, the Nazis are worse than the Red Sox."

"Why did you ignore what I said about the Yankees?"

You're right, one person or company isn't going to take down the Chinese government. Which makes it that much worse when you let those who challenge them twist in the wind, because it requires collective action and solidarity, not isolating every individual incident from its context so you can face your powerlessness with smugness and shrug at the latest atrocity that threatens to distract you from your favorite pastime.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
But can we please stop making it sound like people who actively dislike/ are disappointed by sword and shield are the problem.

Given the well known toxicity that exists in this fanbase it's incredibly hard to separate the just criticism from people just complaining for the sake of complaining. Which is why many people are just ignoring it altogether.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

game freak has seriously messed up on many aspects of sword and shield and I think it's fine to say that this looks like an early access pokemon game rather then the normally polished releases we see in the series.

Gen 1 was polished?

First I've heard of this.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

No we don't know, we don't even know if they'll be a third game much less it's title or whether they'll just jump into the DSP remakes or just do like Black & White 2/Ultra Sun & Moon.

There is a world of difference between B/W 2 and Ultra S/M lets make that clear. Second they will either have to patch S/S to a really large degree or do another pokemon game in this gen. I don't think anyone can claim that this game doesn't come acrossed as rushed.

Since it was brought up gen 1, while it had some notable bugs, one of which if interacted with could kill the game entirely. It was absolutely ground breaking for it's time. there was so much content that many industry people assumed would be impossible for the system to handle. it also brought forth one of the longest end games/completion material for any game to that date. Now how hard is to find most of these bugs, Actually really hard. We all heard about them because it was in the middle of pokemon hype when everyone only had red and blue at the time, and just talked about those games and played them non stop.

PS want a good way to tell the difference between good and bad faith criticism. Generally the good faith stuff has actual structure/points/evidence and doesn't abuse sarcasm or humor.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
There is a world of difference between B/W 2 and Ultra S/M lets make that clear. Second they will either have to patch S/S to a really large degree or do another pokemon game in this gen. I don't think anyone can claim that this game doesn't come acrossed as rushed.

I don't think they will ever add free content or DLC to Pokemon, so that option is out. The only time they ever add stuff is if the game has a huge game-breaking bug in it they need to fix like XY's save glitch.

There will absolutely be another set of games. However, so long as the current leadership is in charge, I don't think the games will change all that much unless they take the criticism and backlash to heart. People like Ohmori and Matsuda have pretty much stated that people these days have lots of games to play, especially on their phones, so they don't think people will focus on Pokemon too much before they get bored and move on to other games, which is why they stopped putting much content into the games. The reason HGSS and B2W2 are considered the best games in the series is because people like Morimoto and Unno have the opposite mindset, where the games should be pushed to their limit in content. Two different mindsets going on at Game Freak.

I also I don't think it's a coincidence this shift in mindset suddenly started popping up when the series started focusing on global appeal and world-wide releases. I've seen lots of Japanese fans express the same kind of comments.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:20 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
It would be nice, but I doubt it. "Toxic fandom" has become to new defense to deflect any and all criticism against companies or brands over the past couple of years.

What would you rather call it when a bunch of people engage in hyperbole, making death or rape threats, citing dubious people or groups to try to reinforce their argument or being just plain not-so-nice-people?

Commander Cluck wrote:
Let's be honest here: You can, you just don't want to. It's quite easy to focus on the numerous legitimate criticism and ignore the obvious trolls,

No it really isn't not unless you absolutely have an immense amount of free time and patience. Or want to grasp for something in attempt to make a point.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I don't think anyone can claim that this game doesn't come acrossed as rushed.

I mean I don't think I've seen anyone claiming otherwise. Especially when the release cycle for these games have fallen into for the last few games.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Actually really hard. We all heard about them because it was in the middle of pokemon hype when everyone only had red and blue at the time, and just talked about those games and played them non stop.

If people found out about the bugs and word got spread around then it wasn't really hard to find out about it. News about bugs and glitches are more likely to spread around far and wide depending on the benefit or harm of said bugs and glitches.

Crispy45 wrote:

Yes, that was pretty much what I was referring to when I mentioned Bethesda. It came off even weirder because that stuff had nothing to do with Japan or Japanese games, and just felt like Heidi was trying to jump in on the outrage bandwagon.

Or maybe just perhaps Heidi could've just mentioned it because get this the TWIG column doesn't always exclusively focus on Japanese games like did anyone here remember when Todd was writing about games and he would occasionally mention games not published by or developed by some company in Japan?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2