• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Gremlins and Beasties of Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle I'm not saying they are underground, just that the underworld is considered part of the same reality as the human world. That did not change when people no longer viewed the underworld as being underground. The demon world and the human world coexist, though the exact nature of the relationship between them in the show is unclear at this point, such that I don't think we can rule out the possibility that it is indeed the underworld in all senses, even though I do agree it is more unlikely than not.

The names aren't just similar, they are exactly the same, and considering that the author chose some fairly esoteric ones (others from the show include Naberius, Stolas, Shax), it's clear that they are trying to communicate that this is meant to be the underworld (specifically the Judeo-Christian one) at least in the sense of the place where demons reside.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the best shows of the season with good characters, an entertaining story, and a creative visual style. It somewhat reminds me of GeGeGe no Kitarō in that Iruma-kun is a kids show but it has a lot of depth to it. It also has the best OP of the season.

Kirki wrote:
Well it is, technically an isekai, as the character got transported into another world, but lately the term is used to describe a quite specific sub-genre. For example, Inuyasha is technically an isekai, and so is In Another World With My Smartphone. Unfortunately, the term isekai is usually used to describe series that are more similar to the latter than the former.

If I had to say, I think that the latest trend in isekais are to be defined by self-insert OP protagonists, harem elements, and mostly, game mechanics.

There were 3 or 4 powerful guys fighting for the attention of Kagome in Inuyasha so the harem element has been around for a while. The biggest change in the isekai genre was that many of the fantasy stories aimed at the shoujo market changed from an isekai setting to a real world with magic setting such as Kamisama Kiss. With the exception of the occasional otome anime that is why the majority of isekai anime have been made for the shonen/seinen market in recent years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2