• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma GN 31 & 32

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If you really sincerely cared that much about minor plot points in a long-running (and apparently quite disappointing in the end) shonen manga - this book came out months ago and you would've read it by now.
I mean, I feel like this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot, but to throw my 2 cents in, there are plenty of anime that I watch where I don't read the mange/LN whatever the original medium was. I feel like that's a fine and valid choice, and I find the idea that the onus is on us as readers here to be fully up-to-date on all forms of a story we care about, or it's our fault for not being a devoted enough fan, is kind of a weird bit of elitism or gate-keeping.

Zac wrote:
As a media analyst, this runs counter to what I'm personally interested in - discussion with people who actually watch and read things when they're released.
That's a completely valid personal prioritization, but I feel strongly that it can coexist with a respect for those of us who DO care about spoilers to currently running series. Say, by attempting to avoid spoilers in pictures and summaries that will appear on the main page, while being completely free to discuss said spoilers in the articles after the jump. Like almost every other media site on the internet (including, strangely, usually this one) already does.

Zac wrote:
I don't care if I "spoil" it for you.
I appreciate your honesty, though it comes across as needlessly dismissive and hostile. I was on your side before the response, but now I'm sort of unsure if you meant to be that curt or if it's one of those internet misunderstandings.

If that is how you and this site feels on the matter, then it shouldn't surprise you if more people who do care about spoilers start to avoid the site more. Which would make me sad, because I do like it here.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
Trying to suit everybody's demands will be impossible, especially when it comes to spoilers. Only choice is that you draw a clear line throughout all your articles so that the users knows how to judge the content in the future.

I read and saw countless reviews about fiction here and there and you will always find someone in the community who will be disappointed either because of the lack of elaborating plot points (because they know the content already and are interested in other opinions) or even just the sole mention of one single plot point (because they haven't seen or read it yet and wants to get hooked). As for ongoing series it should be obvious that the subject of discussion and reviews of those articles are literally late plot points so reading them is kinda like giving consent to take the risk becoming spoiled rather because you have certain expectations about new or specific information.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 am Reply with quote
The review text has a spoiler warning at the top for those who are only following the anime (which I think is best practice), but when the manga cover itself is a spoiler, there's not much that can be done... Censoring the cover could be counterproductive because it could make it harder for prospective buyers to identify what they're looking for.

I think that Zac's comments regarding "spoiler culture" seem to be addressing a separate issue from what's going on here with regards to the cover image. As far as the reviewers themselves are concerned, yeah there's a general uncertainty about how far they should go in explaining the context within the story to support their critiques. But I don't think PonSquared was planning to read the review at all and instead just came into the forum to talk about why the image which they saw on the front page spoiled them.

I feel bad for PonSquared, but on the other hand, I really think that spoiler-ific covers and promo images can't be helped since they're so ubiquitous in this space. As another example, the Sword Art Online Alicization: War of Underworld key visual can be considered a spoiler for the first season of Alicization. Never mind the manga spoiling things for the anime viewers, the anime's marketing does a fine job of that already. Shikata nai...
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Zac wrote:
If you really sincerely cared that much about minor plot points in a long-running (and apparently quite disappointing in the end) shonen manga - this book came out months ago and you would've read it by now.
I mean, I feel like this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot, but to throw my 2 cents in, there are plenty of anime that I watch where I don't read the mange/LN whatever the original medium was. I feel like that's a fine and valid choice, and I find the idea that the onus is on us as readers here to be fully up-to-date on all forms of a story we care about, or it's our fault for not being a devoted enough fan, is kind of a weird bit of elitism or gate-keeping.

Zac wrote:
As a media analyst, this runs counter to what I'm personally interested in - discussion with people who actually watch and read things when they're released.
That's a completely valid personal prioritization, but I feel strongly that it can coexist with a respect for those of us who DO care about spoilers to currently running series. Say, by attempting to avoid spoilers in pictures and summaries that will appear on the main page, while being completely free to discuss said spoilers in the articles after the jump. Like almost every other media site on the internet (including, strangely, usually this one) already does.

Zac wrote:
I don't care if I "spoil" it for you.
I appreciate your honesty, though it comes across as needlessly dismissive and hostile. I was on your side before the response, but now I'm sort of unsure if you meant to be that curt or if it's one of those internet misunderstandings.

If that is how you and this site feels on the matter, then it shouldn't surprise you if more people who do care about spoilers start to avoid the site more. Which would make me sad, because I do like it here.

The more general problem with "spoiler culture" is that it in effect forbids referencing anything because someone somewhere might've not read it yet. Everybody dies in "Hamlet"? It's a spoiler. "Luke, I'm your father"? Also spoiler. Spoiling Dumbledore's fate on the release date of new Harry Potter book is bad of course, but I think the point Zac's also getting at is that people who want not to have stuff being spoiled are holding back other people who want to have comprehensive discussions, and that's where this "keep up or after some time the onus is on you to avoid getting spoiled " comes in. In this case, the situation is a bit different, because the anime is still in the middle of the arc, but like some already mentioned this is both really minor spoiler as they're sure to win anyway, and since it's official cover, already ubiquitous - you may end up seeing it if you go to manga/anime shop or if Amazon or Google ads suggest this volume for you. It even doesn't say they won, just that they weren't expelled - they may have something similar like the Shokugeki with Megumi and Soma vs Shinomiya - lost but won in the end due to enemy understanding their errors and crossing to your side. The point is that they obviously wouldn't let Erina and others become lifetime slaves to Azami, that's way too dark.
I kinda get PonSquared's point about not getting spoiled on the very main page, and I think in some cases it would be worth to not use manga cover if it spoils too much from running series, but it is hard to me to care much for this case.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

The more general problem with "spoiler culture" is that it in effect forbids referencing anything because someone somewhere might've not read it yet. Everybody dies in "Hamlet"? It's a spoiler. "Luke, I'm your father"? Also spoiler. Spoiling Dumbledore's fate on the release date of new Harry Potter book is bad of course, but I think the point Zac's also getting at is that people who want not to have stuff being spoiled are holding back other people who want to have comprehensive discussions, and that's where this "keep up or after some time the onus is on you to avoid getting spoiled " comes in.

Exactly. Those of us working in editorial here are media analysts and it's literally the cover of the book. Internalizing spoiler culture nonsense to that extent severely limits our ability to even discuss the story, the plot, the characters, the author, the writing - it amounts to "say absolutely nothing about anything" which is totally counter to what media analysis is supposed to be about.

Again, it is literally the cover of the book and there's a spoiler warning at the top of the piece.

If I care about a show or a movie, I watch it when it comes out. If I care about a book, I read it when it comes out. The internet is constant conversation - if I cared that much about not being "spoiled" and didn't actually watch or read the thing but instead scrolled Twitter and plot points were revealed to me, that's my fault. Constantly trying to police everyone to never say anything substantial about the shows you personally might one day be interested in watching or reading is really backwards to me and totally counter to what my job is, like I said.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The more general problem with "spoiler culture" is that it in effect forbids referencing anything because someone somewhere might've not read it yet. Everybody dies in "Hamlet"? It's a spoiler. "Luke, I'm your father"? Also spoiler. Spoiling Dumbledore's fate on the release date of new Harry Potter book is bad of course, but I think the point Zac's also getting at is that people who want not to have stuff being spoiled are holding back other people who want to have comprehensive discussions, and that's where this "keep up or after some time the onus is on you to avoid getting spoiled " comes in.

Exactly. Those of us working in editorial here are media analysts and it's literally the cover of the book. Internalizing spoiler culture nonsense to that extent severely limits our ability to even discuss the story, the plot, the characters, the author, the writing - it amounts to "say absolutely nothing about anything" which is totally counter to what media analysis is supposed to be about.

Again, it is literally the cover of the book and there's a spoiler warning at the top of the piece.

If I care about a show or a movie, I watch it when it comes out. If I care about a book, I read it when it comes out. The internet is constant conversation - if I cared that much about not being "spoiled" and didn't actually watch or read the thing but instead scrolled Twitter and plot points were revealed to me, that's my fault. Constantly trying to police everyone to never say anything substantial about the shows you personally might one day be interested in watching or reading is really backwards to me and totally counter to what my job is, like I said.

Wow.. just.... Zac you are a terrible representative of your company. You are insensitive, uncaring, hostile, aggressive, and rude. As I said earlier I will not be resubscribing. I understand that you have millions of subscribers and my money does not matter so I know you don't care. You also have the power to delete this post and ban me if you so choose. So do what you will.

I came here to get news and opinions about the anime that I watch and some Japanese culture as well. I certainly didn't come here to be insulted by the editor of the website. There are ways to speak to people and disagree with kindness deference and respect. Unfortunately, it seems you do not understand those very important social skills. I hope your boss whoever it is sees how you spoke to me and takes you to task for it.

-PonSquared

PS: Fun things to do on your birthday...
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
Zac wrote:

Wow.. just.... Zac you are a terrible representative of your company. You are insensitive, uncaring, hostile, aggressive, and rude. As I said earlier I will not be resubscribing. I understand that you have millions of subscribers and my money does not matter so I know you don't care. You also have the power to delete this post and ban me if you so choose. So do what you will.

I came here to get news and opinions about the anime that I watch and some Japanese culture as well. I certainly didn't come here to be insulted by the editor of the website. There are ways to speak to people and disagree with kindness deference and respect. Unfortunately, it seems you do not understand those very important social skills. I hope your boss whoever it is sees how you spoke to me and takes you to task for it.

-PonSquared

PS: Fun things to do on your birthday...

Has anyone ever told you that you might be too overtly sensitive about this?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Even though you could have had this entire conversation via email or PM, I assumed you chose to air your grievances publicly because you wanted the community to discuss issues like (a) whether US publishers should change spoiler-y covers when they bring comics into countries where more people are anime viewers than manga readers, or (b) whether websites should censor the covers of titles they are reviewing if they contain spoiler-y material, or even (c) whether a site whose masthead refers to anime has some kind of responsibility to put the needs of anime viewers before the needs of manga readers. (A "no" from me to all three of these, by the way.) I am starting to suspect that a productive community discussion was not your original end goal.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
So Zac's lesson is not to visit ANN if you're anime only for any series, fudge you!.... Wow! xD

I don't really care about the "spoiler" of the cover but the executive editor's response has left me almost speechless. It's like he was so pressured by his work and personal life that he reached the limit and exploded here. lol
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
So Zac's lesson is not to visit ANN if you're anime only for any series, fudge you!.... Wow! xD

I don't really care about the "spoiler" of the cover but the executive editor's response has left me almost speechless. It's like he was so pressured by his work and personal life that he reached the limit and exploded here. lol

Yeah I feel the same way about the cover as you, but that could be because I don't really care for the series anymore. Funnily enough this whole thing could have been avoided if they just used the other cover instead. And yeah Zac's response was horrible imo. I mean he pretty much said if you're anime only and don't wanna be spoiled then just leave. Keep in mind this site is called ANIME news network lol.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Internalizing spoiler culture nonsense to that extent severely limits our ability to even discuss the story, the plot, the characters, the author, the writing - it amounts to "say absolutely nothing about anything" which is totally counter to what media analysis is supposed to be about.
That's just straight up disingenuous. I and the one or two others arguing for some sensitivity to spoilers (and we do seem to be quite outnumbered) have been very, very careful to say "please try not to have spoilers ON THE MAIN PAGE". To claim that we are demanding that you "say absolutely nothing about anything" is hyperbolic to the point of dishonesty.

Zac wrote:
If I care about a show or a movie, I watch it when it comes out. If I care about a book, I read it when it comes out.
So those of us who only have the time, money, or inclination to watch an anime rather than track down the other forms of story just aren't devoted or serious enough fans to merit any sort of consideration at all from ANN writers or editors? That's unfortunate.

Zac wrote:
if I cared that much about not being "spoiled" and didn't actually watch or read the thing but instead scrolled Twitter and plot points were revealed to me, that's my fault.
Okay, sure. Which is why I never go on Twitter (a half lie, I have other reasons for avoiding Twitter). If ANN's main page becomes a spoiler free fire zone, I guess that means I have to consider avoiding it, as well.

Again, I was actually on your side when the original comment was made. If you had said "In this case it was unavoidable, sorry it bugged you", I would have agreed. Sometimes inadvertent spoilers happen, it's life on the internet. But seeing your dismissive and vaguely haughty replies, and hearing that putting spoilers on the main page for yet-to-be-aired anime episodes in currently airing shows is apparently official site policy, has me a little bit gobsmacked.

But hey, this is a discussion about a show where elite teens cook so good at each other that they make people's clothes fly off. So I hope everyone on all sides has a great day!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Ok, sounds like I rubbed some folks the wrong way. I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to spoilers and the way the internet tends to treat them - but in this case it is literally the cover of a book that came out months ago. Did y’all just not see the cover before now, and yet deeply - personally - care about upcoming Food Wars plot points you hadn’t read yet?

However - if it means that much to folks, I’ll be more sensitive to your needs rolling forward. Apologies for the offense.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ok, sounds like I rubbed some folks the wrong way. I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to spoilers and the way the internet tends to treat them - but in this case it is literally the cover of a book that came out months ago. Did y’all just not see the cover before now, and yet deeply - personally - care about upcoming Food Wars plot points you hadn’t read yet?

However - if it means that much to folks, I’ll be more sensitive to your needs rolling forward. Apologies for the offense.
For my part, I apologize if I was ever rude or piled on. You are right, I don't care that much about the upcoming Food Wars plot points (I said as much in my first post), it was more about spoilers in general, so I'm totally happy to keep it at that.

On the plus side, people who have reason to know seem pretty united in thinking that this last arc of Food Wars isn't that great, which is something I didn't know until this thread. That at least is useful info for me, since I was on the fence about whether I thought Food Wars could recover from some of its loss of momentum enough to sustain whole new arcs. I guess the answer is probably "no", which makes it easier for me to avoid the manga/LN whatever and just finish out this season of the show, and leave it at that. A good series that I enjoyed for a while, but seems like it petered out in the end.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'll just point out that the sidebar has an option setting where images can be deselected and never show up. That's what I use personally as I prefer just to get the text headlines and click the ones that I'm interested in which will then show the picture in the article itself. Not the best solution I understand but just providing info that some may not know.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Another thing is why go to a manga vol. review page and cry foul on spoilers? It is hard to explain the details of a vol. without spoilers being used! One would think that it is common sense that these reviews are going to have spoilers. Also, depending on the situation, me being spoiled about a story can help determine if I will invest my time in the story. You know, it having content I might not agree with means that I decided not to invest my time in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2