• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revolutionary Girl Erica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
The Yagate Kimi ni Naru play recently came out on Blu-ray and I got my copy earlier in the week. I liked it a lot; I thought it was very sweet, the characters came to life quite well and the writer(s) did a good job condensing quite a long story into a comprehensible package. Compared to the anime, I think the performers' individualities came though strongly and it didn't feel as much a straight translation of the manga – in particular, I think Yuu came across as more earnest and emotional (though her quirky moments were still very amusing), Touko felt a bit more down to earth and Sayaka came across as gentler and a little more vulnerable.

I found it a little off-putting how quickly everyone spoke in a lot of scenes to get through things in a reasonable timeframe – it wasn't hard to follow at all, but it made it feel rather perfunctory – and the ending spoiler[is a little picture-perfect and neat for my liking, though no less impactful for it and quite satisfying, especially given what they had to work with.]

So that's the yuri that's featured in my life recently. I'm also looking forward to finishing the manga when I get the last volume, which comes out later this month.
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Hello.
This question and comment is directed @yuricon.
I'm a guy who enjoys reading yuri for the story.Some of the stuff you talked about on the podcast i've read/seen. I've really enjoyed those titles.While i am not ashamed of what i have in my collection,i don't usually tell most people about me reading it either.Mainly because of the stigma that is easily attached to it(a guy reading that type of material). Just was wondering is it common for guy's to read it(yuri)?While i am not a straight person,i don't fall into the gay community either.

Yes, guys watch and read Yuri and romance, just as women watch and read action and adventure.

I think we can all safely put aside any and all sex or gender related strictures on entertainment these days and just accept that both men and women like entertainment of many kinds.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
I think we can all safely put aside any and all sex or gender related strictures on entertainment these days and just accept that both men and women like entertainment of many kinds.

Surely there's clear distinctions, though. That's why there's so much discourse over yuri series at men and those aimed at actual lesbian women just like with yaoi. Otherwise one would just recommend Kannazuki no Miko and Queens Blade to all people looking for yuri recommendations without making a distinction between the two types.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
yuricon wrote:

Surely there's clear distinctions, though. That's why there's so much discourse over yuri series at men and those aimed at actual lesbian women just like with yaoi. Otherwise one would just recommend Kannazuki no Miko and Queens Blade to all people looking for yuri recommendations without making a distinction between the two types.

Queen Blade definitely has some yuri content, but I don’t think it’s enough to recommend as yuri next to works like Kannazuki no Miko. If you need an example of male-oriented yuri, which might be dubious for a female audience, then I think the recent shonen Fragtime is a better case.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="yuricon"]
hikura wrote:
Hello.

Yes, guys watch and read Yuri and romance, just as women watch and read action and adventure.

Thank you for the reply.I asked that question and expected that answer.I know it is fine for guys to read/watch yuri and for woman to read/watch action adventure material.That question came from my experience out of that i'm the only one i know of that reads it out of all my male friends.
I will check some of the recommendations you made on the show.
Thanks for the reply.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't mind recommending Kannazuki no Miko to anyone looking for a bit more "action" and definitely some "feels" and don't mind a male MC in their yuri.

One of my all time favorite anime.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Well, I wouldn't mind recommending Kannazuki no Miko to anyone looking for a bit more "action" and definitely some "feels" and don't mind a male MC in their yuri.

One of my all time favorite anime.

Male MC? He is very important for the plot and even involved in a romantic line, but he was never as important as a heroines, especially in the context under discussion. I never thought he could be considered an one of MC.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:05 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Queen Blade definitely has some yuri content, but I don’t think it’s enough to recommend as yuri next to works like Kannazuki no Miko. If you need an example of male-oriented yuri, which might be dubious for a female audience, then I think the recent shonen Fragtime is a better case.

If people are going to recommend Sailor Moon because two side characters that don't even show up until S, then disappear from the show afterward aside from a small role in Stars, Queen's Blade should be more than acceptable to use since that stuff is in the series more IMO
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

If people are going to recommend Sailor Moon because two side characters that don't even show up until S, then disappear from the show afterward aside from a small role in Stars, Queen's Blade should be more than acceptable to use since that stuff is in the series more IMO

If you look from this side, then yes, I will not argue. If everything about Azur Lane is clear and without words, then I wonder if someone advises as yuri the fresh Kanegawa Jet Girls.
yuricon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:

Proving Zac's point, commenters go from queer representation of an established loving lesbian couple in Sailor Moon to Queen's Blade in two pages. My dudes...that was exactly Zac's point how you don't get it. I was trying to be kind, but no. Uh-uh. That is not Yuri, much less representation.

Mind you, Queen's Blade creator Nanzaki Iku is a great Yuri author. I love her work as Doropanda Tours and just bought her Mai HiME doujinshi "Shizuru and Natsuki 15 Years" this past Girls Love Fest.

I was being kind when I said whatever works for you, but this "well you should agree with my disaster choice" is exactly what Zac was saying...and no. We really don't agree. But thanks. Anime smile
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
Proving Zac's point, commenters go from queer representation of an established loving lesbian couple in Sailor Moon to Queen's Blade in two pages. My dudes...that was exactly Zac's point how you don't get it. I was trying to be kind, but no. Uh-uh. That is not Yuri, much less representation.

Mind you, Queen's Blade creator Nanzaki Iku is a great Yuri author. I love her work as Doropanda Tours and just bought her Mai HiME doujinshi "Shizuru and Natsuki 15 Years" this past Girls Love Fest.

I was being kind when I said whatever works for you, but this "well you should agree with my disaster choice" is exactly what Zac was saying...and no. We really don't agree. But thanks. Anime smile

Well, I just disagree that Queen Blade is a good example of yuri, so here I agree with you. But it was only about recommendations, not representation.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
One thing I'm surprised it wasn't talked about much is when anime shows use the yuri tropes and then pull the "bait-and-switch" by either not following through the girls becoming a lesbian couple or making them straight. I heard Amanchu is rather infamous in the latter. And then there's KyoAni's approach when it comes to Kumiko and Reina in Sound! Euphonium, that spinoff movie Liz and the Blue Bird, and from what I got from Frog-kun's review even Violet Evergarden Gaiden.

How does viewers wrestle with that situation? Should we feel contempt for these creators for being deceiving? Ok, that last part is an overreaction though I am acquainted with a few internet users who refused to do anything with theses creators as if they felt betrayed by them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

How does viewers wrestle with that situation? Should we feel contempt for these creators for being deceiving? Ok, that last part is an overreaction though I am acquainted with a few internet users who refused to do anything with theses creators as if they felt betrayed by them.
If only more anime acknowledged bisexuality as an orientation that exists.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

If only more anime acknowledged bisexuality as an orientation that exists.

Yeah. Haven't gotten around to re-watching Utena yet, but isn't everyone in the main cast except Juri bisexual?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if the characters were confirmed as bi, the pain could have been lessened, and probably make the show and the creators be honest on how the characters are portrayed as.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3