• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Wins 160-Million-Yen Lawsuit Against 3 Pirate Site Admins

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpossibles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
kpossibles wrote:
Good!! It's so easy nowaday to buy manga digitally in Japan for a fair price and also used at used bookstores. Hopefully this trend with winning lawsuits against pirate sites in Japan and can be used for cracking down on other pirate sites that share English stuff that is already free or blatantly post the English published version on their website (aka MangaStr**m and MangaR**k). MangaR**k did not shut down and still operates normally.

But where I'd buying and reading manga legally because in my country, there's no buying mangas legally and it doesn't exist. I had no choice but reading manga illegaly on online. Sorry.

If you're reading manga illegally, you can always support the original by buying the Japanese version ebook? At least try to buy 1 book out of every series you read
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think three years in jail and $1.5 million collectively seems a bit excessive for the crimes involved? Is there an appeals procedure in Japan?

Do you think these guys even have anything close to $1.5 million among them?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
@yuna49

I don't thing the punishment excessive. This is like a lot of white collar crime, since there is no bleeding corpse or maimed survivor to show it seems as though the crime is "not so bad". However, such crimes have the potential to hurt society as a whole much more severely than a crime against an individual. Left unchecked, pirate sites could cripple the entire industry, putting thousands out of work.

As to the amount of the award, I've noticed that in this country that fines etc. seldom have any relationship to ability to pay. I'm not sure why Japan should be different. It is possible that the amount represents how badly the court thought Kodansha was actually hurt, or may simply be set as enough to take everything the defendants may possible have squirreled away. They apparently were very successful in distributing pirated manga. How successful they were in monetizing that, and how much stuck to them is an open question.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Does anyone else think three years in jail and $1.5 million collectively seems a bit excessive for the crimes involved? Is there an appeals procedure in Japan?

Do you think these guys even have anything close to $1.5 million among them?

I don't know enough about the details of the case to really say. If these guys were just sharing pirated manga I think it's pretty stiff. OTOH, if they were profiting off of what is clearly an illegal activity that's a different story. From what I gather reading the article these guys had been running a pirate site for years. That seems to fall into the latter category rather than the former. It sounds like these guys were making a business out of it. That's a full-blown criminal enterprise, not some victimless crime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
@AkumaChef

I think the scale of the operation is more important than the presence or absence of profit when assigning a penalty. The harm they do to the industry is the same regardless of the amount of money they make. This tends to be obscured by the fact that all of the really big operations tend to be money making criminal organizations. Good intentions don't make a crime less severe.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
That's a 20 year old argument that just isn't relevant in the age of streaming. Especially since these aren't fansubs, they're raws that were downloaded by japanese users, who have the easiest access to legal content.

IMO it'd seem like it'd be even more relevant in the streaming age where nobody really "buys" anything anymore except for the collectors who want a physical set for their collection. Most cases they just lose out on some mid-video ads. Worst cases they lose out on your 9.99 a month being distributed to every show on the service. Reminds me when things like TiVos and DVRs were on the rise and companies were saying skipping commercials was piracy. These days it'd be Adblocker, I guess.

But yeah this is Japan, not America. Nobody's ever been (successfully) sued in America for pirating anime yet.

The music industry has a thing where they equate x amount of streams = 1 sale depending on the revenue, so I'd assume this method is used elsewhere too?
It's not relevant because, in the west at least, it used to be incredibly difficult to obtain anime legally. Fansubs and transliterations of unlicensed media is doing the opposite of hurting the industry (as long as it is removed as soon as a license is obtained), sure.
You could even extend the argument to when you had to buy a VHS or DVD to watch an anime, because that's a big investment, and most people won't buy something they didn't already like.
In the age of streaming sites though, where you can stream legally for free? There's simply no excuse. Pirate sites are more of a hassle to use than legal ones, even.
Of course, this is even less relevant in Japan, where no such language and license barrier exists to obtaining anime legally.

You're going to see ads on the pirate site anyway, so why would you give the money to them instead of the creators? Shouldn't anime fans be the last people to play into the whole devaluing of artistic professions?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@AkumaChef
I think the scale of the operation is more important than the presence or absence of profit when assigning a penalty.

I agree completely.
I suppose I didn't make my point very clear. I was trying to say that we know this must have been a large-scale operation given that it went on for such a long time, and the people involved were administering a site for the specific purpose of piracy (as opposed to the smaller-scale operation of posting links on someone else's site). My mention of profit wasn't the main point, rather the existence of profit is an indicator as to the size of the operation.

Quote:
Good intentions don't make a crime less severe.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you meant that good intentions don't make the impact of a crime less severe, then I agree with you completely. If you're talking about how the legal system handles punishment for crimes then I disagree, and intent is extremely important: for example, we treat accidental crimes very differently than we treat premeditated ones. We treat "crimes of passion" or "in the heat of the moment" very differently than we do carefully planned crimes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
@AkumaChef

I realize there are different penalties for accidental vs. intended crimes. I was talking about people who knowingly break the law from the best intentions. This is especially important as we are discussing piracy of IP. While there are a lot of provisions of current law that should be changed, our current system is better than none at all. Piracy used to be difficult. Photocopy a story or copy a TV show to VHS tape and share it with your friends and you haven't really caused an damage. Copy the same story or show to the internet and you have made it available to half the world.

Concerning crimes of passion, the courts are slowly changing to recognize that this is often simply an excuse for domestic violence. We no longer have an unwritten law that you can kill your spouse if you catch them in the act.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Concerning crimes of passion, the courts are slowly changing to recognize that this is often simply an excuse for domestic violence. We no longer have an unwritten law that you can kill your spouse if you catch them in the act.

I didn't intend for my comment to be limited to domestic violence or literal passion in the romantic sense. I simply meant that the legal system considers intent to be extremely important generally speaking, thus it is difficult for me to frame your previous comment about "Good intentions don't make a crime less severe. "
I don't know if you're speaking about the level impact of the crime on its victims or society (in which case I agree) or if you're speaking about the level of punishment that society generally chooses to impose on the criminal (in which case I disagree).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2