• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sword/Shield Become Fastest Switch Games to Sell 6 Million Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
#873796 wrote:
If anything the controversy probable served as a free advertisement and social awareness campaign that helped sales.

To be fair, it debuted at almost 400,000 less than Sun and Moon did in Japan. Not an insignificant amount, just not company destroying when a franchise sells over a million. But don't think anyone was thinking a Pokemon game was going to bomb, just disappoint people.

Me, I haven't really enjoyed Pokemon as much since it went to 3D. The series became a lot more linear and the areas weren't as sprawling or creative like when it was on a 2D tile based system, as well as a lot of side and post game content being removed since 'kids have phones now' whatever that's supposed to mean. Plus a lot of the models look awful, like the flying Pokemon always T posting in the air compared to how they were in sprite form. XY was alright, Sun and Moon was disappointing, and I didn't get Sword and Shield, but watching all the streams of it, it just look like a step down and more unappealing, plus the fact literally all my favorite Pokemon were removed was a nice little kick in the groin. Although I can see why someone who hasn't kept up with the franchise over the years or newer players wouldn't care about Pokemon and features they never knew existed not coming back.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love SwSh and blasted through my game in three days. It's not my favorite entry by far, but I liked it far better than both XY and SM. Some really great QoL improvements here that made the game a lot less frustrating and more fun to play. Dynamaxing is a total gimmick, but it's such a fun gimmick that I don't even care. I also found the story fairly decent, much more consistent than SM's (though SM's high points still hit higher) and miles above XY's. Most of all, this game got me much more excited for future Pokemon entries, because if they keep these gameplay and story improvements going forward, the next entry will probably be even better.

And, yes, I do agree with the criticism that there are some graphical errors/rushed jobs. It's clear that some of this was rushed in order to have the game come out for the holiday season. Here's hoping they'll actually do improved third version(s) again! I definitely wouldn't mind buying this game twice.

On a semi-related note, after this will probably be the remake for Diamond and Pearl, right? (Wow, it's been over a decade since those games came out. I feel old.) Fingers crossed for Distortion World from Platinum to be included! (And now that a main-line Pokemon game has come out for, essentially, a home console, could there be hope for an Orre remake? A girl can dream...)
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I'll pick it up if there is no third version of the game as I don't really want to double dip pokemon games. For the possible remake of Diamond/Pearl, I'll only get it if Platinum content is truly in. Not like how they did Ruby/Sapphire on 3DS.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying my copy of Shield. I've played at least one game in every generation and I definitely like this one more than the previous one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
I also found the story fairly decent, much more consistent than SM's (though SM's high points still hit higher) and miles above XY's.

Eh, the villain's goal made zero sense in SS. Easily the dumbest villain in the series. XY had a much better villain and story. I'd rather have no real villain like in SM than a dumb one who's plan makes zero sense. Felt like they went waaay too hard trying to make a point about climate change or whatever which I assume was the whole point, although it handles it really poorly.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:25 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Nice, I'll pick it up if there is no third version of the game as I don't really want to double dip pokemon games. For the possible remake of Diamond/Pearl, I'll only get it if Platinum content is truly in. Not like how they did Ruby/Sapphire on 3DS.

I wonder if they won't save Platinum for the Let's Go Sinnoh remakes. There's precedent for it since they based Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee on Yellow.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
I wonder if they won't save Platinum for the Let's Go Sinnoh remakes. There's precedent for it since they based Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee on Yellow.

Why would they make a Let's Go game for Gen 4? The whole point of Let's Go was to ease people who played Go into the mainstream games with a very simplified and dumber down version of them. It works with Gen 1 because most Go players are older people who grew out of Pokemon after the first gen. Gen 4 holds no real significance to that angle.

We're more likely to just see straight remakes.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

Why would they make a Let's Go game for Gen 4? The whole point of Let's Go was to ease people who played Go into the mainstream games with a very simplified and dumber down version of them. It works with Gen 1 because most Go players are older people who grew out of Pokemon after the first gen. Gen 4 holds no real significance to that angle.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that we wouldn't get straight remakes of Gen 4. What I meant was that the remakes for Gen 4 will be based off of Diamond/Pearl while the Let's Go remake of Gen 4 will be based off of Platinum. Didn't Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee sell over 10 million copies. I can't see them not continuing the series as long as they continue to sell at those numbers. Why would they stop at double dipping on the Gens if they know they can triple dip and still sell 10 million copies.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Commander Cluck wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that we wouldn't get straight remakes of Gen 4. What I meant was that the remakes for Gen 4 will be based off of Diamond/Pearl while the Let's Go remake of Gen 4 will be based off of Platinum. Didn't Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee sell over 10 million copies. I can't see them not continuing the series as long as they continue to sell at those numbers. Why would they stop at double dipping on the Gens if they know they can triple dip and still sell 10 million copies.

The most likely reason why the first Lets' go games adapted pokemon yellow is because the first batch of pokemon in pokemon Go were Kanto's 151, and so those are the pokemon that Go players are most likely to already have. Since then they've been putting more mons into Go by generation and are currently on the 5th so it wouldn't make much sense to have the next let's go be one that mainly features mons from the 4th gen.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

The most likely reason why the first Lets' go games adapted pokemon yellow is because the first batch of pokemon in pokemon Go were Kanto's 151, and so those are the pokemon that Go players are most likely to already have. Since then they've been putting more mons into Go by generation and are currently on the 5th so it wouldn't make much sense to have the next let's go be one that mainly features mons from the 4th gen.

I know that the next Let's Go game will be based on Johto. I was talking about when they get to the Let's Go Sinnoh games. I think their release schedule is going to be something like Gen 4 remakes, Let's Go Johto, Gen 9 and then repeat. It will allow them to double dip on Gens 4-6 while also triple dipping on Gens 2 & 3. If Let's Go Johto doesn't sell for some reason they can always switch back to their old release schedule.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:

Easily the dumbest villain in the series. XY had a much better villain and story.

Lysandre was not that good of villain and I'd go as far to argue that he essentially has the same plan as the MCU version of Thanos. Also not helping Lysandre is that he lead a group of people who dress in bright orange suits shades and (like him) sport goofy hairstyles.

matt78 wrote:

I know that the next Let's Go game will be based on Johto. I was talking about when they get to the Let's Go Sinnoh games. I think their release schedule is going to be something like Gen 4 remakes, Let's Go Johto, Gen 9 and then repeat. It will allow them to double dip on Gens 4-6 while also triple dipping on Gens 2 & 3. If Let's Go Johto doesn't sell for some reason they can always switch back to their old release schedule.

There's no indication they're going to be making Let's Go Johto there's also absolutely no reason for them to make these games while simultaneously putting out a remake of 4 and potentially 5 along with the newer titles.

jellybeanbandit wrote:

I'd rather have no real villain like in SM .

Ummmm even without having played S&M I know for a fact the Aether Corporation were villains who worked in tandem with Team Skull. They weren't entirely malevolent but they damn sure weren't wholly benevolent either.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ummmm even without having played S&M I know for a fact the Aether Corporation were villains who worked in tandem with Team Skull. They weren't entirely malevolent but they damn sure weren't wholly benevolent either.

Sun and Moon was more "actually I was being manipulated by this evil Ultra Beast the whole time, it wasn't my fault! Oopsie!" and nobody really holds it against Lusamine or Aether Foundation. In fact they all become friends and they even challenge you to friendly Pokemon battles post-game Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2