• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Opening Songs of Fall 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
My top five from this season (that I'm watching (and that I could vote on)):

1. "MOTOR CITY" - No Guns Life
2. "Thought I Knew" - Stand My Hero
3. "Q-Vism" - Psycho-Pass 3
4. "Take On Fever" - Special 7
5. "Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy" - Outburst Dreamer Boys

But yeah, if "Dark Crow" - Vinland Saga was an option it would have absolutely taken second place. That song rocks hard.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Welcome to Demon's School intro is the best for me it just so catchy it stays stuck into your head. Smile
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also how they integrated with the visuals to convey the mood of the story, which Beastars' OP just fails on.

I have to disagree here. The mood of Beastar's story is dark and light at the same time; it's fun, and the OP conveys the mood perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna be a wet blanket with my unpopular opinion: I don't care for the opening of Beastars, in terms of both the music and the visuals. I remember it trending on tumblr when the second episode came out and thought it would be something to look forward to. But after watching it, I didn't really have anything positive to say about it. Sure, it's original, but that's about it. I generally skip it.

If Vinland Saga's "Dark Crow" or Fire Force's "Mayday" were on the list, I definitely would have voted for them. Like a lot of people have already said, if the animation for Mayday had been on par with Inferno's, it would probably be better received. Shout-out to Black Clover for their consistently catchy openings too. Sky and Blue was great, and I'm loving the current opening. The animation for Noelle is fantastic.

My underrated faves of the season are Granblue Fantasy's "Stay with Me" and Stars Align's "Suisou". While MHA's Polaris is good, it's not my favorite out of MHA (that might change since I haven't listened to the full version yet).

Honestly though, when we get a poll for best ending of Fall 2019, I'll have a much harder time choosing a Top 5, especially if Vinland Saga's "drown" and Fire Force's "Nounai" are added to a list that includes SAO's "Unlasting", MHA's "Koukai no Uta", and more.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
"Wild Side" is definitely the best OP I've seen this season, not only for the song but also with its impressive use of stop motion visuals. Too bad it's still in Netflix jail...

Based on how they handled Ingress, it's likely to show up around April. Ingress premiered in October in Japan and April 30th on Netflix.
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also how they integrated with the visuals to convey the mood of the story, which Beastars' OP just fails on.

Actually, I'd say Beastars' OP sums up the mood and themes of the series pretty well even though the only characters featured are Legosi, Haru and Louis. There's a clear contrast with the dark, unsettling scenes in the forest and the lighthearted scenes at the fountain; while the story is largely on the darker side, there are some lighthearted slice-of-life chapters and scenes to balance that out.

The themes are also pretty well conveyed throughout; there's the ongoing conflict between carnivores and herbivores (as shown with Legosi chasing Haru through the forest), Legosi and Haru's developing relationship (with Legosi and Haru's dance at the fountain), and Legosi's struggles with his own inherent carnivore nature (his romantic and very cute scenes with Haru turn out to be just a fantasy since in the end it's revealed that he killed and ate her, which shows his fear of succumbing to his instincts). I'm not too sure what Louis' appearance is meant to represent, but it could be to highlight his relationships with both Legosi and Haru.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
My top five from this season (that I'm watching (and that I could vote on)):

1. "MOTOR CITY" - No Guns Life
2. "Thought I Knew" - Stand My Hero
3. "Q-Vism" - Psycho-Pass 3
4. "Take On Fever" - Special 7
5. "Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy" - Outburst Dreamer Boys

But yeah, if "Dark Crow" - Vinland Saga was an option it would have absolutely taken second place. That song rocks hard.

This list but since im not watching the 2nd or last show it would likely be Dark Crow, Magical Babyrinth or MAYDAY.

Just speaking about the songs not the quality of the OP's (animation included)
Kai Kawasumi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
SAO's Ending this season? YES! SAO's opening this season? Definitely not. Its the worst SAO opening and it isn't even close. Give me LiSA or ReoNa any day!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun's opening was robbed by its exclusion!

It wasn't excluded. It's on the list as "'Magical Babyrinth' by DA PUMP (Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun)" Not too late to change your vote!

I like it too - it's sure one hell of an ear worm. Very Happy
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
What I know of the show Beastars is from the three promo videos Nothing fun or happy occurs.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
What I know of the show Beastars is from the three promo videos Nothing fun or happy occurs.

So you know little of the show that is already over half-way it’s 1st cour.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Almost complete plot of Beastars

I'd like to recommend the use of spoiler tags here, just in case Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
So you know little of the show that is already over half-way it’s 1st cour.
To my knowledge it has not been available to view in the US where I am unless you know different. BTW, the presenter for this article said the same thing. I have been interested in seeing it actually in case you somehow think I have some ax to grind, I just wanted others who commented to know where I am coming from, that what the producers want interested potential viewers to know about the show the OP doesn't fit at all.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Nobody mentions it, but Assassins Pride has a really cool OP. The chorus that is repeated at the beginning and at the end is very pleasant to listen to and watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2