• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Part 1 & Part 2 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Clear Card is that not all of the "fights" with the cards were interesting.... Or even existed at all. I kinda groaned when she found a card in a book and just instantly captured it.

The original series truly turned it into an art form with the "puzzle boss" approach.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
As someone who watched the original series just to prepare to watch Clear Card, I can say with absolutely certainty that many are wearing rose-tinted glasses.

The original was always slow-paced, low-stakes, repetitive, anti-climatic and packed with ridiculous amounts of filler. Clear Card continues that in every way, except this one actually had a spoiler[credibly villainous character] and threw its most controversial romance on a bus. My only complaint is that it wasn't spoiler[Shaoran under the cloak like the manga]. And since the manga is ongoing, who knows if that will ever matter.

Both are written and made for a younger audience. It's silly to expect the sequel to have changed that.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

I also hate that most of the key players are keeping something from Sakura. Kero knows something. Eriol knows something. Syoaran especially knows something and yet none of them can even have the courtesy to give Sakura a clue because they all feel like they're protecting her from something. Kero says in the manga that spoiler[Sakura is an incredibly strong magician who is unaware of the extent of her strength], so why doesn't anyone feel that she can handle the truth? The whiteknighting bothers me about this series. Sakura has proven than she can deal with a lot of mature issues. Calling yourself an ally but failing to give her the information she needs isn't helpful.

Honestly, this is my main complaint for the series, and it's the reason I mostly did not enjoy the series like I wanted to. Say what you will about the fact that the show has always been episodic - it has. Or that it's always been pretty slow - this is true too. But when you do a sequel series that comes after your main character has learned the ropes of what it means to wield cards and magic, I don't think it's too big of an expectation to expect growth. Their reasons for not telling Sakura anything despite acknowledging that she's quite possibly the strongest magician out there is just baffling. It also comes off as a heavily exploited convenience to keep the story moving slower than it otherwise could. And it's noticeable because as has been griped about a lot in this thread - there's barely anything else going on!

I dunno, I'm just feeling like these days unless you have something new to stay you can keep your old 90s property you're hoping to dust off and capitalize on for pure nostalgia's sake. It's proven to be not worth it and just full of disappointment for new fans and old.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, this is my main complaint for the series, and it's the reason I mostly did not enjoy the series like I wanted to. Say what you will about the fact that the show has always been episodic - it has. Or that it's always been pretty slow - this is true too. But when you do a sequel series that comes after your main character has learned the ropes of what it means to wield cards and magic, I don't think it's too big of an expectation to expect growth.
CLAMP tried to do something radically different with Sakura and Syaoran with Tsubasa Chronicles and it was very polarizing with fans. But I do think the anime would have been better if they didn't change the part in the manga version of the anime ending where in the manga we find out that spoiler[Syaroan is the person underneath the cloak in Sakura's dreams but the anime changed it to Akiho for some reason].
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, this is my main complaint for the series, and it's the reason I mostly did not enjoy the series like I wanted to. Say what you will about the fact that the show has always been episodic - it has. Or that it's always been pretty slow - this is true too. But when you do a sequel series that comes after your main character has learned the ropes of what it means to wield cards and magic, I don't think it's too big of an expectation to expect growth.
CLAMP tried to do something radically different with Sakura and Syaoran with Tsubasa Chronicles and it was very polarizing with fans. But I do think the anime would have been better if they didn't change the part in the manga version of the anime ending where in the manga we find out that spoiler[Syaroan is the person underneath the cloak in Sakura's dreams but the anime changed it to Akiho for some reason].

I dunno, for me that simply isn't a good reason to not do anything at all to make it worth revisiting this property. I wasn't a huge fan of Tsubasa either, but that had literally almost nothing to do with them utilizing the titular couple from CCS and reimagining their characters and relationship and more to do with the overall story straight up spiraling out of control. I ended up dropping the manga years and years ago, but what I remember was things going a little coo-coo bananas for my taste with that twist. But to be real straight to the point, they took characters that were fun in their original incarnation and they placed them into a story that was the stark opposite of that. TRC was straight up dour, and I don't think you can make a good argument to the contrary.

The problem with CCS is that they've essentially played it so safe not deigning to make any changes to the characters that they've created a barebones story that only exists to remind people of a show they used to like. It ends up just being a waste of time for everyone involved.

FYI - I'm not current on the manga and don't plan to be simply because I've never been a huge fan of reading manga (this a chiefly manga thing - not a reading thing, I love to read!), but that twist you referenced in your spoiler sounds like it might have made things slightly more interesting or at least made Syaoran more integral or necessary, but I guess we'll never know!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
I think my basic point still stands that the reaction to Tsubasa Chronicles from readers probably influenced CLAMP to feel like if they go too radically in another direction from the original series like some people want them to do with Clear Card it will be too alienating to the core fanbase that grew up with the original and are expecting it to be exactly like their childhood memories. The key is in finding that balance but it's hard to judge if Clear Card has found that balance yet because we don't have the entire story yet and as others have mentioned in the thread, the original series was also a slow burn slice of life show at the beginning. Other anime revivals have the same issue too where they usually just take the easy way out of simply doing a more manga faithful reboot of the source material rather than coming up with a new plot like CCS did.

Dragon Ball is one of the few other recent anime nostalgia revivals I can think of where they also went with new material and much like CCS Clear Card, Dragon Ball Super started off polarizing with the fanbase before picking up later on and eventually wining over the fans. I think the big issue with Clear Card was choosing to adapt it too soon where there wasn't that much manga material out yet out of obligation to tie into the franchise's anniversary rather than simply waiting till more source material was available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2