• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!: Sword Art Online is the Light Novel of the Decade

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Index for instance was really popular in its first 5 years, but those years aren't a part of this list. As with most series that run for a long time its popularity has declined so its fighting against the other series on this list in a weakened state because a lot of the hype is gone.

That is very true. However, if they had this kind of tally by character, I'm pretty sure I know who wins by a landslide. The series itself just hasn't maintained the votes.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
Index for instance was really popular in its first 5 years, but those years aren't a part of this list. As with most series that run for a long time its popularity has declined so its fighting against the other series on this list in a weakened state because a lot of the hype is gone.

That is very true. However, if they had this kind of tally by character, I'm pretty sure I know who wins by a landslide. The series itself just hasn't maintained the votes.

Yeah the popularity of the characters has held up really well. It's a shame the popularity of the series has gone down because New Testament is a lot better than Old Testament, but I guess its inevitable. If season 3 of the anime wasn't god awful maybe it could've brought the popularity back up, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be Crying or Very sad
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It also bears mentioning that both SAO and Index benefited from being active the whole decade, whereas most of the other series came in midway through (or later). I also find the huge gap between #3 and #4 to be rather interesting and am quite surprised (but pleasantly so) that Alderamin on the Sky ranked that high.

Well, it is a "decade ranking" after all. lol

Plus, While it's true in some aspect, but as you said yourself, the huge gap between the ranking would make it that even without any advantage the listing would still not change much.

Also if you check the votes in early years, they were very much less than the latter years of the decade.

For example a series in Early years of the decade could get Rank #1 with under 200 point !
but a series in latter years of the decade need around 400 point to get rank 1.

Plus series like SAO and Index, both had their starting hype out of the ranking and by the point the decade reach it's halfway point and each new series got more point, a lot of the new fans won't bother with something with 20 volume out already.

Moreover, the ranking votes from collaborators favor the new series more than old ones to bring in new listings up as an advertisement.

One last example to give and compare the how much having your "starting hype" later could also help a series is Eighty Six light novel.

Eighty Six only ever got into top 10, 2 time at 2018 and 2019 and not even Rank 1, it also drop out of top 10 in 2020 now.

but that was enough for it to become Rank 16 in the decade ranking with ~550 point.

if early years when SAO or Index got Rank 1 were as point giving as latter years,

then I assume SAO and Index would be having +3000 point instead of 1700 and 1500 point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2