• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Rules Vic Mignogna Must Pay US$238,042 to Defendants in Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
How the ISWV people still think this will work at all in Vic's favor is beyond me!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
There was nothing particularly wrong with when they filed the appeal. It was early, yeah, but better early than late. It's just put on a shelf until the final ruling comes in.

Every lawyer with a reasonable track record that I've read disagrees. They're pretty much in agreement that you can't appeal a judgement that hasn't been issued yet. Even Judge Chupp questioned the validity of the appeal and directed Martinez to clear it up before it invalidated Vic's ability to appeal. (Narrator voice: To date, it has not be cleared up.)

Vaisaga wrote:
Beard's big screw up was that first hearing, but that's supposedly because he went in ready for a TCPA hearing only for Chupp to run it differently. Since then it's mostly been Monica's lawyer getting on Chupp's nerves. And both of them are on record admitting Vic's suit was meritorious and was only defeated because of rules.

Ahh... Now I understand why you're clueless about the appeal. You're a stan and you're parroting the nonsense you've been fed.

Long story short, pretty much nothing in the paragraph quoted above is true. Beard's big screw up was in accepting the case... And that was followed by a long series of ever more amusing (for us in the cheap seats) screw ups.

Vaisaga wrote:
And I wouldn't expect Vic to get discouraged any time soon. He still gets invited to cons, still pulls in 3 hour lines, and the Go Fund Me keeps growing by the day. He's got no shortage of support.

Unless the LOLyers have been working for free, it's very likely the GoFundMe is just about tapped out. Even if wasn't, after the judgement is taken into account, there's nowhere near enough money in there to pay for an appeal. (It's currently growing at an average of $10k/mo. Vic should be able to pay for an appeal sometime in 2022 - long after the window for an appeal closes.)

Jen Bigby wrote:
If you read the minutes you can see when Judge Chupp bluntly says that either Rial's lawyer is overbilling his client or Marchi's lawyer is underbilling his when he looks at their requested fees and saw such a huge difference in them. That was more than likely why he gave everyone a flat $50,000 in attorney fees. Part of Anti SLAPP is paying for lawyers fees, but an easy way to abuse that is to run up frivolous costs and ask for a ridiculous amount of money.. Judges tend to hate that kind of abuse and Chupp probably just decided a case like this would have only cost around $50,000 and that's what everyone gets, if they spent more than that it was their own council's fault.

Rial's lawyer filed a new motion to demand Judge Chupp explain himself on why he didn't give them a much higher amount like he asked for. If Vic doesn't appeal, we might very well see Rial or her attorney file one.

The analysis that I've seen have found that the costs submitted were very much in line with the work required - which varied enormously between clients. Chupp's ruling failed to recognize that.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:05 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Beard's big screw up was that first hearing, but that's supposedly because he went in ready for a TCPA hearing only for Chupp to run it differently. Since then it's mostly been Monica's lawyer getting on Chupp's nerves. And both of them are on record admitting Vic's suit was meritorious and was only defeated because of rules.

And I wouldn't expect Vic to get discouraged any time soon. He still gets invited to cons, still pulls in 3 hour lines, and the Go Fund Me keeps growing by the day. He's got no shortage of support.

Lemoine overplayed his hand. He purposely ran up legal fees with tons of useless discovery and concerns like going after YouTuber streamers, subpoenaing people, going after Vic's Go Fund Me, Twitter drama and tons of other stuff which Chupp said had zero relevancy to the case. As a result Rial and Toye are still stuck with almost 200K in legal feels these awarded fees won't cover (assuming Vic's appeal doesn't go through) If Lemoine was smart he'd wave the rest of the bill and call the rest pro bono and hope Rial and Toye don't sue him for taking advantage of them.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
Damn. That's about a year's salary for my family, and knowing how voice actors are notoriously underpaid, I'm pretty sure we make more money than Mignogna does. He's going to be paying this off for several years coming.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
How the ISWV people still think this will work at all in Vic's favor is beyond me!

they think this because people on youtube said so
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Damn. That's about a year's salary for my family, and knowing how voice actors are notoriously underpaid, I'm pretty sure we make more money than Mignogna does. He's going to be paying this off for several years coming.

I wish that was the truth, but I doubt it. Even though his popularity has gone down, he's always been one of the most well-known and popular voice actors for anime in English, and he still has tons of supporters. The amount on his GoFundMe is even more than this, and it sounds like it's still "earning" money.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:41 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Because they feel that they are apart of some battle, just look at any YouTube video and you can see titles about KickVic being salty or this is a major win for KickVic. People have fount a way to make some money out of this, post a clickbait video and have people flock to it to get angry at KickVic. As they do not understand that this whole thing is between Funi and Vic, and that ISWV and KickVic have no impact on this.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Lemoine overplayed his hand. He purposely ran up legal fees with tons of useless discovery and concerns like going after YouTuber streamers, subpoenaing people, going after Vic's Go Fund Me, Twitter drama and tons of other stuff which Chupp said had zero relevancy to the case. As a result Rial and Toye are still stuck with almost 200K in legal feels these awarded fees won't cover (assuming Vic's appeal doesn't go through) If Lemoine was smart he'd wave the rest of the bill and call the rest pro bono and hope Rial and Toye don't sue him for taking advantage of them.

This is in no way Lemoine's fault. The entire purpose of a SLAPP lawsuit may not even necessarily be to WIN the lawsuit. It is simply to punish the people involved and humiliate and shame them by putting them through as much stress and financial burden as humanly possible. And if that's all this ever was, it succeeded. Vic and co. didn't have to win to punish their enemies. SLAPP suits by their very nature are malicious, with hopes that you'll just settle in order to keep the cost of going through litigation down. To say this is in any way Lemoine's fault is absolutely absurd. The defendants were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
It's fascinating to view this topic and how folks on both sides have responded to it. I'm firmly in the favorable-of-the-ruling camp because at the end of the day there was such a tremendous volume of people who came forward, independently, to accuse VM of inappropriate behavior, it's flat-out insane to think, "it's all a ploy to ruin an innocent man's career!"
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

I wish that was the truth, but I doubt it. Even though his popularity has gone down, he's always been one of the most well-known and popular voice actors for anime in English, and he still has tons of supporters. The amount on his GoFundMe is even more than this, and it sounds like it's still "earning" money.

The money in the Go Fund Me will only be used to pay Vic's lawyers. None of it will be going to the defendants. They've been quite adamant about that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

Except we all know that's not going to last forever. He can only coast on past glories for so long and with him effectively having detonated every bridge in the VO industry I don't expect he'll be getting any other big roles. His lines will dwindle and he'll, at best, only get invited to iffy cons. He's done
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
marshmallowpie wrote:

Except we all know that's not going to last forever. He can only coast on past glories for so long and with him effectively having detonated every bridge in the VO industry I don't expect he'll be getting any other big roles. His lines will dwindle and he'll, at best, only get invited to iffy cons. He's done

I think after this, it would be straight to the iffy cons. Through his actions, in particular in the deposition, he has shown himself to be deluded in his on narcissism, and thus a liability as a guest at a con. He would need to have a minder at all times, and be under so much scrutiny that if he steps out of line once that he would be pounced upon and the con would be caught up in the fallout for allowing him there in the first place. There are others that would bring in a decent amount of bank without the risk of losing said bank plus more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
If Vic were smart, he'd cut his losses and move on, but he has seemed so vacant during all this, I'm not even sure he knows what's going on. He'll probably leave it all up to his lawyers, and I doubt they're about to drop this while there's still good money to be made off the fans from the GFM account (I'll be astonished if they leave even $100 in the account for the charity that any excess was supposed to go to), plus YT ad money from pot-stirring videos.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

People have been saying this for almost a year now and it's yet to happen, so color me a bit skeptical.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

People have been saying this for almost a year now and it's yet to happen, so color me a bit skeptical.

What part of the previously quoted statement has "yet to happen"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6