• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Rules Vic Mignogna Must Pay US$238,042 to Defendants in Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Weren't the bulk of the conventions that retained Vic as a guest ones that couldn't dump him for contractual reasons (Kameha Con), run by people who were also facing allegations of sexual harassment (Anime Matsuri), or were conventions that were more Comic Con than Anime Con? December and January are a bit of a dead zone for anime conventions but either way, we'll know at the start of February where things stand for him as a convention guest. That was roughly when things kicked off and he started getting kicked out after all so if he is getting invited to anime cons again, most of them will have said something by then.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Beard's big screw up was that first hearing, but that's supposedly because he went in ready for a TCPA hearing only for Chupp to run it differently. Since then it's mostly been Monica's lawyer getting on Chupp's nerves. And both of them are on record admitting Vic's suit was meritorious and was only defeated because of rules.

And I wouldn't expect Vic to get discouraged any time soon. He still gets invited to cons, still pulls in 3 hour lines, and the Go Fund Me keeps growing by the day. He's got no shortage of support.

Lemoine overplayed his hand. He purposely ran up legal fees with tons of useless discovery and concerns like going after YouTuber streamers, subpoenaing people, going after Vic's Go Fund Me, Twitter drama and tons of other stuff which Chupp said had zero relevancy to the case. As a result Rial and Toye are still stuck with almost 200K in legal feels these awarded fees won't cover (assuming Vic's appeal doesn't go through) If Lemoine was smart he'd wave the rest of the bill and call the rest pro bono and hope Rial and Toye don't sue him for taking advantage of them.

No, unless you have proof of how much lawyers cost, Lemoine's billing this case is standard. So was Funimation's and Jamie's. Each set billed around 200k in total. Good lawyers cost money, Vic had the shittiest lawyer practicing in Texas file this lawsuit.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
Weren't the bulk of the conventions that retained Vic as a guest ones that couldn't dump him for contractual reasons (Kameha Con), run by people who were also facing allegations of sexual harassment (Anime Matsuri), or were conventions that were more Comic Con than Anime Con? December and January are a bit of a dead zone for anime conventions but either way, we'll know at the start of February where things stand for him as a convention guest. That was roughly when things kicked off and he started getting kicked out after all so if he is getting invited to anime cons again, most of them will have said something by then.

People aren't talking about retained conventions though, he's gotten new ones all throughout the year. Although you raise a good point Vic is known for more than just anime, like his Star Trek and other western franchise work so he has more avenues than just anime conventions at his disposal. Anime VAs have shown up at comic conventions plenty of times before so it's not actually something new. A decent chunk of SDCC this year was dedicated to anime and manga.

Personally, I wish people would leave contentions out of this. People trying to attack Vic by saying he's going to a 'small' or 'iffy' conventions don't seem to realize that insulting those conventions insults tons of people. Not just Vic, but the other guests, the attendees, and the convention employees and owners. Sangawa Project 2019 just announced Monica Rial is going to be a guest there next week, and she appears to be the only guest for it. Are we going to make fun of her for taking that small convention appearance? The truth of the matter is anime dubbing does not pay a sustainable wage, and VAs have to take everything available to them. I don't know if it's still true or not, but Monica Rial said in the past she also has to work as a hair dresser because that's what it takes to cover her living expenses. Small conventions likely only have the budget for one or two notable guests, so they go with ones they think will bring the most attendees. So long as the fans are happy, the convention is happy, and the guest is happy and making money, it should not matter which convention they go to. Anime VAs don't have the luxury of being snobs like some people seem to think they do.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Bastille wrote:

People aren't talking about retained conventions though, he's gotten new ones all throughout the year. Although you raise a good point Vic is known for more than just anime, like his Star Trek and other western franchise work so he has more avenues than just anime conventions at his disposal. Anime VAs have shown up at comic conventions plenty of times before so it's not actually something new. A decent chunk of SDCC this year was dedicated to anime and manga.

Personally, I wish people would leave contentions out of this. People trying to attack Vic by saying he's going to a 'small' or 'iffy' conventions don't seem to realize that insulting those conventions insults tons of people. Not just Vic, but the other guests, the attendees, and the convention employees and owners. Sangawa Project 2019 just announced Monica Rial is going to be a guest there next week, and she appears to be the only guest for it. Are we going to make fun of her for taking that small convention appearance? The truth of the matter is anime dubbing does not pay a sustainable wage, and VAs have to take everything available to them. I don't know if it's still true or not, but Monica Rial said in the past she also has to work as a hair dresser because that's what it takes to cover her living expenses. Small conventions likely only have the budget for one or two notable guests, so they go with ones they think will bring the most attendees. So long as the fans are happy, the convention is happy, and the guest is happy and making money, it should not matter which convention they go to. Anime VAs don't have the luxury of being snobs like some people seem to think they do.

If Vic isn't having trouble with convention appearences, why is he suing Monica, Jamie, Ron and Funi in the first place? If he's not having career problems, then this lawsuit was a nasty piece of work on his part, on other people's dime. Seems to me, that Vic is a piece of slime.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

If you read the minutes you can see when Judge Chupp bluntly says that either Rial's lawyer is overbilling his client or Marchi's lawyer is underbilling his when he looks at their requested fees and saw such a huge difference in them

I saw that in one of the threadnoughts on the case. I think Marchi's lawyer replied with a joke that he gets told that all the time.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
If Vic isn't having trouble with convention appearences, why is he suing Monica, Jamie, Ron and Funi in the first place? If he's not having career problems, then this lawsuit was a nasty piece of work on his part, on other people's dime. Seems to me, that Vic is a piece of slime.

It is not an all-or-nothing scenario. Him still going to conventions does not mean he didn't lose invites over this, especially with the initial backlash. If a robber breaks into your house and steals all your jewlery from you, they can't use the excuse they left you your big screen TV and other electronics as reasoning that it's actually not a problem since you still have plenty of valuables.

DerekL1963 wrote:
o.0 Seriously? We're calling them "small" (because that's what they are), and "iffy" (because they're having a known scumbag as a guest). The former is a statement of fact, not an insult. The latter... well, the latter is a statement of fact as well an intentional insult. And I don't give a rat about the other people - if they feel insulted, they should reconsider their association with a con that would bring in a serial harasser.

You weren't the one who made the statement so I won't use your words to speak for them, but if that's your criteria for 'iffy' then it's a pretty juvenile way of thinking. But it's not an argument you're going to win, because like I said, anime VAs don't have the luxury of being choosy, and that says nothing about guests who aren't even in the anime industry who probably don't know or care about any of this. Tomorrow Vic will be at a con with numerous other anime VAs, as well as many non anime guests. If you want to go harass and shame all of them for going to the same con as him, I suppose I can't stop you, but it's a pretty toxic and hateful thing to do and just spreads negativity around.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Let's cool it down in here a bit. I don't want to have to delete more posts.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:16 am Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:

So far no one is really trying to get him and it's not hard to see why. Even smaller cons aren't reaching out to him when they can get other people who are WAY less problematic
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
Going by pure logic here, I wouldn’t really bring in a guy with a whole host of allegations behind him who recently just got layed off by a couple of major corporations.

That all sounds to me like a *ahem..... Red Flag.
purpleloops

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Regardless of how you feel about Vic, you have to admit he made a lot of stupid decisions during this shitstorm. The blackface should have been his first clue that he wasn't exactly hiring Johnnie Cochran here.

It's Nov 2019 and people still think that rekeitalaw on twitter is Mignogna's council.

At any rate, I'm not sure how most of you still have absolute contempt and disdain for Mignogna. He didn't exactly conduct himself poorly throughout the course of the suit. This case seems to have ended before anything could be properly assessed, with most of what was said and done has left more questions than answers. I have more contempt for his more hellacious fans and now clearly incompetent council than I have reason to outright dislike him.

This is not to say he didn't do anything malicious, but this case has cut off before we could really figure that out. It seemed, for the most part, that there were a lot of stories, some conflicting, notwithstanding, that left people to simply choose with their own mal-adjusted moral compasses whether Migogna did anything actually wrong or not. Unfortunate, I guess we'll never know.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:
This is not to say he didn't do anything malicious, but this case has cut off before we could really figure that out. It seemed, for the most part, that there were a lot of stories, some conflicting, notwithstanding, that left people to simply choose with their own mal-adjusted moral compasses whether Migogna did anything actually wrong or not. Unfortunate, I guess we'll never know.

*Vic Demonstrating How He Yanks A Woman's Hair.gif*
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:

Yeah, he still hasn't quite wrapped his head around the fact that what he did was wrong and why he is the subject of these stories and accusations.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:

And the signed affidavits as well as more stories from people who have come forward. Forget smoke, that's a raging inferno
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:
At any rate, I'm not sure how most of you still have absolute contempt and disdain for Mignogna. He didn't exactly conduct himself poorly throughout the course of the suit.

Kinda disagree here. His obvious incomprehension during the deposition that he did anything wrong along with his comments at a signing along the lines of this is a war on hugs, combined with lack of appearances in person in court, especially when key decisions are made when he is the one who brought the suit forward is enough justification for the contempt and disdain against him.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I have not followed this case super closely (in part because I don't usually watch dubs, and didn't know who "Vic" was prior to this case; in part, because I've never taken much active interest in actors/actresses, of the voice variety or otherwise), but the last two pages had me wondering: is there actual video of Vic's demonstration of how he imagined "acceptable unsolicited hair-pulling" would be performed? I am legitimately curious to see that, to get a quick sense of how in/out of touch he is with the ramifications of his actions.

From my casual watching of this case, Mignogna comes off.. not actively malevolent, by any means, in his behavior in the legal proceedings (which I mean quite distinctly from the accusations he faces, which seem reasonably damning, and from fairly numerous sources), but certainly his actions have made me wonder if he's possessed by some kind of powerful, naive narcissism. I cannot imagine why anyone would enact a suit of this sort and then skip out on court dates, seemingly on a whim. It would make sense if he had done so after deciding they were lost causes, but his doubling down with his legal representation seems to make that an impossibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6