• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - THANK

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Pretty much; people kept whining for years and years about what to do with E3 and then when Nintendo does do something genuinely different (i.e. the E3 Directs) tons of outlets threw a fit and claimed this was somehow apocalyptic for the company due to "skipping E3". Considering how Sony now literally DOES skip E3 and puts on way worse copies of the Directs, it's clear those comments were completely asinine. Talk about having egg that will never wash off their face

Part of that was sour grapes, I imagine. E3 was big for those outlets. They sent their people to events, they play the games and interview the devs, you go to their site to see what the games were and how they played since they were the only way to get info on them. Nintendo Direct circumvented that and cut them out entirely by showing everything off themselves and setting up a problematic future if other companies followed them. Same reason they still get mad YouTubers and Twitch streamers get preferential treatment over websites these days, and why you see gaming outlets starting to try to jump into YouTube/streaming with.. mixed results. Nintendo was pretty savvy to jump on the YouTube backwagon back during the peak years
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Also, about dual audio--I remember when Odin Sphere on the PS2 had dual audio. It was such a revelation back then, can't recall a game before it doing that.

Makai Kingdom (2005) had dual audio. I remember this specifically because I disliked the dub so much that I played most of the game with the Japanese voices instead.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
The episodic approach for FF7 is frustrating. On the one hand, what I've seen looks interesting. On the other hand, it might be years between releases.

AiddonValentine wrote:

-Battleborn: Now to debate whether it was the bad timing with Overwatch or Pitchford being a toxic landfill of a human being that killed this game. Depends on how much of a cynic you are

I think it was the timing with Overwatch. Randy was being his usual self until pretty close to Borderlands 3 coming out, not to mention 2K's antics, and it still sold very well.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Two things I'm thankful for:

1. Many long unavailable, unlocalized, or unreleased games have gotten official releases or re-releases in recent years.

In recent years, we've gotten a sudden and welcome verve for either re-releasing things that have been out of print for a long time, or that we never got to be with. Earthbound got re-released, the Disney Afternoon NES games got re-released, Castlevania: Bloodlines and NES Contra got re-released (though it's still not clear why they were ever absent to begin with). We got Mother 1. We got Seiken Densetsu 3 (and not just a remake, but a localization of the original too). Star Fox 2, a CANCELLED game, got released. It feels like anything is possible at this point.

2. Japanese gaming has regained its popularity and relevance.

After a lot of press declaring Japanese games "dead" and many high-profile messes (RE6, first version of FFXIV, Metroid: Other M, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting), Japanese gaming has been making great strides towards re-establishing its significance and status. Flawed masterpiece factory Yoko Taro finally got the talent and budget to realize his crazy weird ambitions with Nier: Automata, and other phenomenal games like RE2 remake, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and others are coming out left and right. Even in this year's Game Awards (normally a very Western-centric awards ceremony), 4 of the 6 Game of the Year Nominees are Japanese. As someone who always loved the approach and style of Japanese video games, I'm thrilled to see the Japanese industry turn around and become genuinely exciting again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2