• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weathering With You Film Starts Oscar-Qualifying Run in Santa Monica on Friday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming these will be subtitle-only screenings as no mention was made in the article of a dub being completed?
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:21 am Reply with quote
Thanks for mentioning that. I had forgotten to include that information in there, but it's in the article now. The wider screenings starting on January 17 will have both English-subtitled screenings and English-dub screenings, but it doesn't look like any screenings prior to that will have dub screenings.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
So the question now is, does it lose to Toy Story 4, does it lose to Frozen II, or does it not even get nominated?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Invalid: You forgot How to Train Your Dragon.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
So the question now is, does it lose to Toy Story 4, does it lose to Frozen II, or does it not even get nominated?
With GKIDS running it in North America, the chances for the third are slimmer than with the other distributors, as past records of anime at the Oscar nominations tell. It still loses, of course - but Weathering With You now running not only for Animated Movie award — but also Best Foreign Film, where it have a more chance to succeed.
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

It will get nominated, hardly any of the voters will watch any of the nominees, and then they'll just hand it to Frozen II.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
It will get nominated, hardly any of the voters will watch any of the nominees, and then they'll just hand it to Frozen II.

My money is Toy Story 4. Critics have been kinda dumping on Frozen 2
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Didn't critics dump on Toy Story 4 too, or am I misremembering? So assuming that neither were huge critical successes, I figured they'd give it to the more recent film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, the competition is gonna be even stiffer in 2021, now that Pixar is releasing Soul and Onward next year. Voters should expand the number of eligible entries to 10 on at least that basis alone....
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Didn't critics dump on Toy Story 4 too, or am I misremembering? So assuming that neither were huge critical successes, I figured they'd give it to the more recent film.

It's considered the worst Toy Story film, but still a sheer masterpiece. Its reception is far and away a lot better than Frozen II's, so it's definitely going to be the winner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1