• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail RPG Launches on March 19 in Japan, Europe

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:01 am Reply with quote
I really wanted this game but having no dub kills its for me
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:25 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

This lack of dubbing just got all the more weirder since the One-Punch Man game was actually confirmed to be getting a dub.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

This lack of dubbing just got all the more weirder since the One-Punch Man game was actually confirmed to be getting a dub.

That is weird. I honestly dont really get why Koei Tecmo don't dub their anime based games. I sort of get the ones that might not have THAT big an audience (like Fist of the North Star), but OP and FT were highly successful in the states and both have pretty great dubs.

I wonder how they decide which games get a dub and which ones don't.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

That is weird. I honestly dont really get why Koei Tecmo don't dub their anime based games. I sort of get the ones that might not have THAT big an audience (like Fist of the North Star), but OP and FT were highly successful in the states and both have pretty great dubs.

I wonder how they decide which games get a dub and which ones don't.

It’s most likely in order to cut costs. Dubs are very expensive and take up a lot of time and energy to make possible. Koei Tecmo probably doesn’t think that the new Fairy Tail game will sell enough units that would cover the costs to produce a dub.

The One Punch Man game is getting dubbed because Bandai Namco has confidence that the game will sell a lot of units and successfully make back the amount of money they’re spending on the dub.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

Oh wow i had no idea that game was getting a dub, might have to start checking it out now
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn Hodgkins wrote:
Nintendo witch

I didn't know Nintendo has another ongoing console.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
No dub means we get the game released in the West fast, simultaneous in this situation. Much better then the old days of KT games taking 6-9 months to get localized because they had to dub the games. Screw that, fans of anime games are used to subs so it wouldn't have any significant difference in sales which is why they do it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
No dub means we get the game released in the West fast,

Dynasty Warriors 8 which had an english dub took about 5 months to get released in the west.

Dynasty Warriors 9 which was essentially a worldwide release had an english dub.

Samurai Warriors 4 and all it's expansions which had no english dub took 7 months to release in the west.

So yeah not how it works.

Albion Hero wrote:
Screw that, fans of anime games are used to subs

I'm a sub guy myself but even I know for a fact that not all anime fans are sub purists.

Albion Hero wrote:
which is why they do it.

No no it's not.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

I imagine there are far fewer voiced lines in a fighting game than a RPG, making it much less of an investment.

I'd also say OPM has a wider reaching (more mainstream) audience.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
FF VII Remake, Persona 5: The Royal, and FT RPG are literally getting released back to back all in the same month (well maybe not The Royal, but Spring 2020 hints at a March release at the earliest). I have to figure out when one I want to buy first I want them all, but I'm too broke to buy all three at once. xD

What a time to be an RPG fan!
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
DarkEXE wrote:
Crystalyn Hodgkins wrote:
Nintendo witch

I didn't know Nintendo has another ongoing console.

Indeed they do. The Witch came out back in April of this year. Wink
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:
No dub means we get the game released in the West fast,

Dynasty Warriors 8 which had an english dub took about 5 months to get released in the west.

Dynasty Warriors 9 which was essentially a worldwide release had an english dub.

Samurai Warriors 4 and all it's expansions which had no english dub took 7 months to release in the west.

So yeah not how it works.

Yes it is. Atelier games went from 6-9 month localization cycles with dubs, then once they removed the dubs the games were coming out like a month after Japanese release. Dynasty Warriors stuff has barely any text to dub so its not comparable to an RPG like Atelier and Fairy Tail.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:

Yes it is. Atelier games went from 6-9 month localization cycles with dubs, then once they removed the dubs the games were coming out like a month after Japanese release. Dynasty Warriors stuff has barely any text to dub so its not comparable to an RPG like Atelier and Fairy Tail.

Okay and?

Tecmo-Koei publishes a number of games with and without english dubs and as I mentioned some of the games without english dubs take months to come west after they get released in Japan while others that have english dubs can either take months or get a near simultaneous release.

Whether they have barely any text (which I believe you meant spoken dialog) to dub into english is irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1