• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The One Truth, And Nothing But the One Truth: An Oral History of Case Closed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
On the other hand, Gegege no Kitaro seems to have no issues streaming on Crunchyroll in spite of it being a dark kids show. And you can actually watch Magic Kaito on Crunchyroll. I wonder if it’s simply a case of Detective Conan’s popularity in Japan likely makes the license fee really expensive.

Well I meant back in the early 2000s when it first came over. Pre-streaming. Too violent to air on CN next to Ed, Edd, and Eddy and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, not 'cool' enough to hang along side Full Metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo. These days yeah CR streamed a number of kids anime.

OjaruFan2 wrote:
How come the novelty for long-running episodic kids anime eventually wears off for Americans, but the novelty for long-running action shounen anime doesn't wear off? It baffles me how Sgt. Frog bombed for FUNimation, while Fairy Tail continues to perform very well for the company. And the thing is, both Sgt. Frog and Fairy Tail never aired on mainstream American TV (I know select episodes of the latter show aired on the FUNimation Channel, but the channel was seemingly targeted more towards anime fans rather than mainstream audiences).

I dunno, Americans just like cool fights and more serial storytelling more I guess. Or maybe because comedy anime doesn't click well with Americans with the cultural references and jokes, which is why so many use heavily localized dubs. Or maybe it's those heavily localized dubs that turn people off once the shock and novelty of them ware off and it costs more money to do a dub than just release it sub. At least with streaming now we can get shows like Gintama which Viz cancelled the manga of back in the day due to low sales.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I talked to some people in the know, and they told me they suspect that the whole "One Truth Prevails" slogan came about because of an edit that Funimation made to shorten a studio translation provided by TMS (the production company for Conan) themselves.

A translation that TMS provided of the first episode had "The truth always prevails!" as a rendering of "Shijitsu wa Itsumo Hitotsu!" and my source suspects that Funimation edited that to the final "One Truth Prevails".

If that's true, then in my opinion, it would have been better to have used the translation that TMS gave them if they weren't going to translate it from Japanese directly, because with "one truth prevails", it implies that there are multiple versions of the truth, and one will prevail over the others — a very different meaning from the Japanese's "there is only one truth".
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Are the new movie dubs even coming to home video? It feels like TMS is only screening them at cons and nothing more than that, because I haven't seen anything from Discotek about them coming to BD. I really hope that isn't the case.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Are the new movie dubs even coming to home video? It feels like TMS is only screening them at cons and nothing more than that, because I haven't seen anything from Discotek about them coming to BD. I really hope that isn't the case.

That’s what I’m wondering too. If I had to take a guess, they’re probably just screening them at cons for now to see how Americans react to Detective Conan nowadays beyond the Crunchyroll simulcast streams. Maybe they’re planning for a big comeback for the anime in the US, and the con screenings are a part of that plan. Maybe they’ll eventually get Discotek (or someone else) to release the dubbed movies on home media if the ticket sales are good enough to justify such a release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4