• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is F/GO: Babylonia Anime as Popular as its Mobile Game?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to pull out the ol' "nuanced opinion" about Babylonia:

Like the authors of this column, i like a ton about this show. It brings out the absolute best of the original story, and it's full of great little moments (like Ushi and Ritsuka acknowledging each other in Gil's throne room). The action has been superb, with Episode 8 being one of my favorite animated episodes this year.

However, just like in the game, the end teaser of episode 8 makes me deeply uncomfortable and i wish they hadn't have done it. FGO LOVES pulling the whole "spoiler[your new friend is now corrupted against their will and evil, and you have to kill them now]" card and i hate it.

As a whole i'm greatly enjoying the show, but just like with most Fate stories, there's some stuff there that just drives me nuts.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused now. If I am not mistaken, people are simultaneously upset that Gorgon is a "victim of persecution seeking revenge" character, while also being upset that Gorgon is not ENOUGH of a victim.

In any case, as I wrote in the episode discussion thread, Fate has more than its fair share of "persecuted" women who aren't written as then going on crazy monster revenge rampages (Jeanne, Marie Antoinette, Boudica, Tamamo, Fran, Anastasia, Ushiwakamaru, to name a few). Meanwhie on the male side for persecuted or wronged people who then go postal we have Angra Mainyu, Lobo, Salieri, Dantes, in a way Berserker Lancelot, and from Tsukihime the original SHIKI on Far Side routes.

I don't think it's necessary to try to read too deeply into there being a common thread of a "problem" between Fujino, Kohaku, Sakura, Medea, Gorgon and Kiara other than that they share some themes, and reusing themes isn't uncommon for a writer.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
A lot of critics like giving Nasu crap over his supposed misogyny, but I'll be frank and say Gen Urobuchi's Fate/Zero is much worse about it's female characters than Nasu is.

Irisviel and Miaya are props for Kiritsugu's totally unsympathetic manpain and basically have nothing outside of him (Iri has her daughter but we get so little of that). Saber has a single personality trait and is constantly admonished by all the "correct" men about how wrong and naive she is and the writing treats them as being right. Aoi exists as Kariya's motivation and nothing else. Even extremely minor flashback characters like Shirley and Natalia are just fodder for Kiritsugu's "tragic" backstory. Not to mention all the Masters in F/Z are men. Sola-Ui seems like the only exception to this but after spoiler[stealing Kayneth's seals] she basically does nothing for the entirety of the rest of her screentime, which just makes it seem like a waste of time.

And *all* of these women die horrific and cruel deaths, the only exception being the one that literally can't die because it would contradict established canon.

I compare all that to characters as great and sympathetic as Rin and Sakura and I genuinely find it baffling that it's F/SN that gets criticized for not treating it's female characters well. Not that Nasu's writing was at all perfect, Saber's characterization is a bit iffy even if I do understand what he was going for there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2