Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Ladies of My Hero Academia


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good list. I hate to break it to anime only fans but the female characters are going to continue to be sidelined for the most part. I haven't seen female characters handled this poorly since Naruto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 908
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Midnight or bust for me. Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 158
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Pretty good list. I hate to break it to anime only fans but the female characters are going to continue to be sidelined for the most part. I haven't seen female characters handled this poorly since Naruto.

Momo Yaoyorozu and Tsuyu Asui weren't sidelined in the Joint Training Arc, MHA is way better than Naruto with its female character. It around Bleach level, then Naruto level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
Pretty good list. I hate to break it to anime only fans but the female characters are going to continue to be sidelined for the most part. I haven't seen female characters handled this poorly since Naruto.

Momo Yaoyorozu and Tsuyu Asui weren't sidelined in the Joint Training Arc, MHA is way better than Naruto with its female character. It around Bleach level, then Naruto level


I kinda meant more along the lines of things that matter. Training is important but its nothing compared to fighting villains. How many times have female characters done something impressive like beating a villain?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 158
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
Pretty good list. I hate to break it to anime only fans but the female characters are going to continue to be sidelined for the most part. I haven't seen female characters handled this poorly since Naruto.

Momo Yaoyorozu and Tsuyu Asui weren't sidelined in the Joint Training Arc, MHA is way better than Naruto with its female character. It around Bleach level, then Naruto level


I kinda meant more along the lines of things that matter. Training is important but its nothing compared to fighting villains. How many times have female characters done something impressive like beating a villain?

90% of the class hasn't beat a villain or have a real fight against a villain since the USJ Incident arc. Deku usually the one who faces the real villains, everyone else usually in a supporting role. Even Bakugo hasn't faced a real villain, he just been fighting cannon fodder until the most recent chapters. Beside Froppy and Uraraka help beat those giant villains and Toga did something awesome in this arc and the arc after the Joint Training arc I don't want to spoil. They get the same screentime as the other people in class 1A. But I would agree Nejire should have play a bigger in the arc now since she is one of the Big Three. Anyway, at the moment MHA is doing a pretty good job. It hasn't gone to Naruto or One Piece levels yet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R. Kasahara
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 263
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Mei Hatsume is underappreciated, perhaps because she's neither a hero nor a villain. She's my second favorite female character in the series; Tsuyu is first.

Good list otherwise, though Wink I do wish the gender balance was better in MHA, but it is a Jump series, and most of the ladies who are there are pretty awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
90% of the class hasn't beat a villain or have a real fight against a villain since the USJ Incident arc. Deku usually the one who faces the real villains, everyone else usually in a supporting role. Even Bakugo hasn't faced a real villain, he just been fighting cannon fodder until the most recent chapters. Beside Froppy and Uraraka help beat those giant villains and Toga did something awesome in this arc and the arc after the Joint Training arc I don't want to spoil. They get the same screentime as the other people in class 1A. But I would agree Nejire should have play a bigger in the arc now since she is one of the Big Three. Anyway, at the moment MHA is doing a pretty good job. It hasn't gone to Naruto or One Piece levels yet


I'm not saying a character needs to beat a villain to matter I was just using it as an example. The important things in this series are almost always handled by the guys. Heck Ochako is the main female character and she can't even beat Kirishima when it comes to important things done. You can also look at how Horikoshi has handled Nejire compared to the other members of the big 3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gray Lensman



Joined: 17 Mar 2019
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the issue with Naruto was how Sakura seemed to have Invincible Fist of the North Star when it was time to flip out on the knucklehead but reverted to Wuss Slaps of the Useless Punk when an actual adversary showed up.

Anyways, I have difficulty accepting Toga as a best of for anything, except for a top 5 nutjobs. I'd feel safer with Yuno Gasai or Kurumi from Date A Live - the first needs a reason to kill me and the second would at least be quick. Toga is still a better person than Louise the Zero, but who isn't?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1989
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I like Toga, but only really started after her 'origin story' - if you can call it that. Before that, she was just anime girl nutjob #34
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 158
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
I'm not saying a character needs to beat a villain to matter I was just using it as an example. The important things in this series are almost always handled by the guys. Heck Ochako is the main female character and she can't even beat Kirishima when it comes to important things done. You can also look at how Horikoshi has handled Nejire compared to the other members of the big 3.

Momo was the one who helps the heroes find the Nomu Factory and help the group save Bakugo (without her Bakugo wouldn't been save), Uraraka,spoiler[ and her team and Toga save everyone from Overhaul in this arc] they do important things,it just they haven't got the full focus on (just like 90% of class 1-A). Toga got a Kirishima's moment recently and the Joint Training arc has a lot of good moments for ladies of class 1-A and 1-B. I agree he mess up on Nejire, but he makes it up with the other arcs. Like I said beforehand, MHA isn't bad as Naruto, but it still has time to learn from it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panoptican



Joined: 03 Oct 2005
Posts: 145
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Clearly the women and girls of MHA have done things. I doubt anyone would argue they've accomplished literally nothing. However, I also think it's hard to argue that they are even close to the men and boys when it comes to having notable inclusion in the story and action.

Also, just because some other manga/anime are worse doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for better in MHA and other stories.

And I'm only current on the anime, so I'm speaking from that perspective.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 158
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Clearly the women and girls of MHA have done things. I doubt anyone would argue they've accomplished literally nothing. However, I also think it's hard to argue that they are even close to the men and boys when it comes to having notable inclusion in the story and action.

Also, just because some other manga/anime are worse doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for better in MHA and other stories.

And I'm only current on the anime, so I'm speaking from that perspective.

My argument is that it isn't Naruto level and 90% of the class haven't gotten a chance to shine yet. I want My Hero Academia to do better (and throw Mineta off a mountain), I find it unfair to say it treat it female character as bad as Naruto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Momo was the one who helps the heroes find the Nomu Factory and help the group save Bakugo (without her Bakugo wouldn't been save), Uraraka,spoiler[ and her team and Toga save everyone from Overhaul in this arc] they do important things,it just they haven't got the full focus on (just like 90% of class 1-A). Toga got a Kirishima's moment recently and the Joint Training arc has a lot of good moments for ladies of class 1-A and 1-B. I agree he mess up on Nejire, but he makes it up with the other arcs. Like I said beforehand, MHA isn't bad as Naruto, but it still has time to learn from it


Maybe I didn't make myself completely clear, because I feel like you don't really get what I mean. I'm not saying the female characters have never done anything important in the entire series. What I'm saying is that they don't compare to the guys at all when it comes to important things done. Yes 90% of class 1-A is underutilized that's another problem with Horikoshi, he can't seem to balance his use of characters at all. But look at the characters of that 10% percent that actually get to do stuff. It's pretty much just the same 3 characters all of which are guys. And others that get to share the glory are usually guys to like Kirishima or Iida.

The things you mentioned in your post are important don't get me wrong but you gotta look at how they were done. Finding the nomu factory for instance is important but it hardly takes any time at all, it barely qualifies imo. And come on man the part you covered with a spoiler is exactly the type of thing I mean when I say poorly done. I would not use it as an example of the female characters being used well especially because of how they were handled in that whole arc in general. And as I said I don't consider training to be anywhere near as important as fighting villains because it's really not. The Joint training arc is also still mostly focused on the guys anyway. I will give you Toga though she's been handled the best of the female characters so far. And yeah it's not as bad as Naruto but that isn't saying much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireballDragon



Joined: 17 Nov 2014
Posts: 545
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I cannot pick just 3 in that poll. Trying to pick only 3 girls from a cast like that is like Sophie's Choice all over again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 158
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Maybe I didn't make myself completely clear, because I feel like you don't really get what I mean. I'm not saying the female characters have never done anything important in the entire series. What I'm saying is that they don't compare to the guys at all when it comes to important things done. Yes 90% of class 1-A is underutilized that's another problem with Horikoshi, he can't seem to balance his use of characters at all. But look at the characters of that 10% percent that actually get to do stuff. It's pretty much just the same 3 characters all of which are guys. And others that get to share the glory are usually guys to like Kirishima or Iida.

The things you mentioned in your post are important don't get me wrong but you gotta look at how they were done. Finding the nomu factory for instance is important but it hardly takes any time at all, it barely qualifies imo. And come on man the part you covered with a spoiler is exactly the type of thing I mean when I say poorly done. I would not use it as an example of the female characters being used well especially because of how they were handled in that whole arc in general. And as I said I don't consider training to be anywhere near as important as fighting villains because it's really not. The Joint training arc is also still mostly focused on the guys anyway. I will give you Toga though she's been handled the best of the female characters so far. And yeah it's not as bad as Naruto but that isn't saying much.

To be fair, those three characters are the most popular characters in the Manga. Ok, I get what you are saying now. But I disagree with the Joint Training arc, the arc was more balance with the characters (mainly, the leaders of the teams). I would say it way above Naruto. Naruto near rock bottom and One Piece is rock bottom (and like One Piece). I can see MHA (slowly) getting better, it, not World Trigger or Black Clover but it getting there. Hopefully it doesn't pull a Food Wars
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group