• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Ladies of My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:

I really hope you aren't referring to people like me when you say western complainers. I would never want Horikoshi or any other author to change something in their series because of some complaint. I only said what I did because when it comes to female characters Horikoshi does a bad job. The female characters don't need to be soloing opponents they just need to be at least somewhat useful. Plenty of battle shonen handle their female characters better and some of them are even in the same magazine. I don't think a series needs to have useful female characters to be good but it sure isn't a plus when they fail to be.

Lets just nip this in the bud shall we?

Because I know you're going to use it as the first example Black Clover does not do an exceptional or good job at this regardless of how much its fanbase want to pretrnd that Noelle is the best heroine of this generation and then hyping up another character who is literally the equivalent of what commentators who complain about female involvement in shounen actually want in a female character....a character who only exists to show how strong she is and nothing. Also doesn't help that among the female cast are a guild of man gating amazonians who only continue the lesbian stereotype but as it turns out they're actually man crazy as well with their leader having a crush on what is the caricature on toxic masculinity....oh the irony! Laughing

I don't even think i should bother bringing up One Piece since its fanbase has admitted that Oda degraded Nami and Robin over the years to being just eye candy who don't even get fights anymore and outside that you have a womanchild and slew of other underused characters.

One of the biggest criticisms towards Kimetsu is that Nezuko is a non-character to which the series promptly ignores in favor of its other male leads until Tanijuro needs to get out of a situation. The weakest pillar is a female specifically because she's not strong enough to wield a sword but don't worry that gets offsetted by the other female pillar spoiler[who is actuall quite strong to bad she's a joke character who's motivation is more or less just wanting to get married]

Now apparently MHA handles its female cast worst than all if these. The only shounen that actual tackled the discrimination of gender without turning the opposing argument into a literal strawman (*cough*Black Clover*cough*), where how strong you are has nothing to do with gender (*cough*Kimetsu*cough*) or where female characters don't have to sit out every conflict (*cough*One Piece*cough*)....so its worse because they're not given enough screentime....which can pretty much be applied to the above examples as well.

My God. No offense but you sound like a complete fanboy. If you can't see why people complain about how the female characters are handled in the series I don't really know what to say. And the weakest pillar in Kimetsu is Iguro who is Male, so what are you even talking about? That has been 100% confirmed by the author in the datebook btw. There is so much nonsense in your posts I don't even know where I would begin if I was to reply. But based on your posts there's no way I'd be able to convince you so I'm outta here.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:

You lose two non-stakes unimportant battles which are mainly used for character . Rolling Eyes

I know very well about the fights that are coming since I follow the manga. And guess what, they're not much better if you meanspoiler[ the fight against overhaul or the one against Gentle]. Take any of the fights in World Trigger and compare them to the fights in Boku no Hero Academia. The difference in the depth of tactics and creative use of abilities is immense. Hell, just think about spoiler[All for one who is able to make any combination of Quirks and then uses it to... Punch really hard? ]. Even the professional heroes are sorely lacking in creativity so it's not a matter of kids learning but of a writer that can't really think of ingenious ways to use super powers.

As for Momo not being a jobber, I'm sorry but when was the last time she actually did anything of note? Creating a tracker? I honestly can't remember. The girl has the power to create any object at will and is hailed as a genius but she never shows it and spoiler[loses even to a girl whose power is... Having big hands?] I mean, come on. She's pretty much Worf by this point, always being called great but losing whenever she fights.

I mean, I'm talking about Momo but the same can be said of a lot of girls who a lot of time are just incredibly secondary. Even Uraraka, ostensibly the main gal of the series, had her whole plot line be relegated to "Midoriya's love interest". Kimetsu no Yaiba may get a lot of flack for how passive Nezuko is but at least there female characters like Shinobu, Kanrinji and Kanao have motivations beyond being the love interest. And that's not even getting into World Trigger but that would be simply unfair.
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Krunky wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:

I really hope you aren't referring to people like me when you say western complainers. I would never want Horikoshi or any other author to change something in their series because of some complaint. I only said what I did because when it comes to female characters Horikoshi does a bad job. The female characters don't need to be soloing opponents they just need to be at least somewhat useful. Plenty of battle shonen handle their female characters better and some of them are even in the same magazine. I don't think a series needs to have useful female characters to be good but it sure isn't a plus when they fail to be.

Lets just nip this in the bud shall we?

Because I know you're going to use it as the first example Black Clover does not do an exceptional or good job at this regardless of how much its fanbase want to pretrnd that Noelle is the best heroine of this generation and then hyping up another character who is literally the equivalent of what commentators who complain about female involvement in shounen actually want in a female character....a character who only exists to show how strong she is and nothing. Also doesn't help that among the female cast are a guild of man gating amazonians who only continue the lesbian stereotype but as it turns out they're actually man crazy as well with their leader having a crush on what is the caricature on toxic masculinity....oh the irony! Laughing

I don't even think i should bother bringing up One Piece since its fanbase has admitted that Oda degraded Nami and Robin over the years to being just eye candy who don't even get fights anymore and outside that you have a womanchild and slew of other underused characters.

One of the biggest criticisms towards Kimetsu is that Nezuko is a non-character to which the series promptly ignores in favor of its other male leads until Tanijuro needs to get out of a situation. The weakest pillar is a female specifically because she's not strong enough to wield a sword but don't worry that gets offsetted by the other female pillar spoiler[who is actuall quite strong to bad she's a joke character who's motivation is more or less just wanting to get married]

Now apparently MHA handles its female cast worst than all if these. The only shounen that actual tackled the discrimination of gender without turning the opposing argument into a literal strawman (*cough*Black Clover*cough*), where how strong you are has nothing to do with gender (*cough*Kimetsu*cough*) or where female characters don't have to sit out every conflict (*cough*One Piece*cough*)....so its worse because they're not given enough screentime....which can pretty much be applied to the above examples as well.

My God. No offense but you sound like a complete fanboy. If you can't see why people complain about how the female characters are handled in the series I don't really know what to say.

I can't see because you never present valid arguments abd then when I destroy yoyr baseless statement you want to run and hide because I'm a fanboy? Is that really the best you can do?

Quote:
And the weakest pillar in Kimetsu is Iguro who is Male, so what are you even talking about? That has been 100% confirmed by the author in the datebook btw.

Wrong. The databook only confirms that they're both weak but IN ACRUAL MANGA CANON she herself says that she's the weakest since she outright cannot cut the head of the demon which is what being a demon slayer requires.

Quote:
There is so much nonsense in your posts I don't even know where I would begin if I was to reply. But based on your posts there's no way I'd be able to convince you so I'm outta here.

This is the most poor execuse of a rebuttal I've seen today.
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Krunky wrote:

You lose two non-stakes unimportant battles which are mainly used for character . Rolling Eyes

I know very well about the fights that are coming since I follow the manga. And guess what, they're not much better if you meanspoiler[ the fight against overhaul or the one against Gentle]. Take any of the fights in World Trigger and compare them to the fights in Boku no Hero Academia. The difference in the depth of tactics and creative use of abilities is immense. Hell, just think about spoiler[All for one who is able to make any combination of Quirks and then uses it to... Punch really hard? ]. Even the professional heroes are sorely lacking in creativity so it's not a matter of kids learning but of a writer that can't really think of ingenious ways to use super powers.

Here's how I know you're full of shit...none of those fights involved punches so you pretty much outted yourself.

Quote:
As for Momo not being a jobber, I'm sorry but when was the last time she actually did anything of note? Creating a tracker? I honestly can't remember.

You don't remember her more than half of the student body? Really? There's being fictitious and then there's outright lying to save face.

Quote:
The girl has the power to create any object at will and is hailed as a genius but she never shows it and spoiler[loses even to a girl whose power is... Having big hands?] I mean, come on. She's pretty much Worf by this point, always being called great but losing whenever she fights.

spoiler[Kendo literally stated that she lost to Momo since she was about to destroy her plan in one move and cpuld have won if 1-B didn't go too far.]

Quote:
I mean, I'm talking about Momo but the same can be said of a lot of girls who a lot of time are just incredibly secondary. Even Uraraka, ostensibly the main gal of the series, had her whole plot line be relegated to "Midoriya's love interest".

And this is also false. Even ignoring her motivation and her own reason to improving herself had nothing to do with Izuku spoiler[or how the events of the Hideout Raid effected her perception which ties into the Joint Training arc where we see a flashback showcasing why she was so fond of heroes to begin with] ALL OF WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IZUKU then I would say you're just really being fictitious.

Quote:

Kimetsu no Yaiba may get a lot of flack for how passive Nezuko is but at least there female characters like Shinobu, Kanrinji and Kanao have motivations beyond being the love interest.
And that's not even getting into World Trigger but that would be simply unfair.

Kanao is literally just the love interest because she doesn't have a character beyond that, that other two aren't particularly relevant either. WT doesn't have any interesting female characters infact the bulk of the cast are sterile.
RhinocerousTrilbies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
“They all kind of look the same, because they’re all dudes!”

Completely degraded the entire video. Apparently women can never be brought up unless all men are brought down. Such a childish and irresponsible view on gender equality

It pains me to know they’re are BNHA fans out there (like her) who really can’t have both. It has to be no viewership or viewership on the condition that women are all-powerful and men are useless by comparison. Saying none of the male characters have distinguishable designs not only shows a blatant apathy for BNHA and Horikoshi’s efforts but is pretty insulting to those that came to relish these characters. But hey, I’m just a white man. What would I know according to her, huh?!
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Krunky wrote:

Here's how I know you're full of shit...none of those fights involved punches so you pretty much outted yourself.

Quote:
As for Momo not being a jobber, I'm sorry but when was the last time she actually did anything of note? Creating a tracker? I honestly can't remember.

You don't remember her more than half of the student body? Really? There's being fictitious and then there's outright lying to save face.

Quote:
The girl has the power to create any object at will and is hailed as a genius but she never shows it and spoiler[loses even to a girl whose power is... Having big hands?] I mean, come on. She's pretty much Worf by this point, always being called great but losing whenever she fights.

spoiler[Kendo literally stated that she lost to Momo since she was about to destroy her plan in one move and cpuld have won if 1-B didn't go too far.]

Quote:
I mean, I'm talking about Momo but the same can be said of a lot of girls who a lot of time are just incredibly secondary. Even Uraraka, ostensibly the main gal of the series, had her whole plot line be relegated to "Midoriya's love interest".

And this is also false. Even ignoring her motivation and her own reason to improving herself had nothing to do with Izuku spoiler[or how the events of the Hideout Raid effected her perception which ties into the Joint Training arc where we see a flashback showcasing why she was so fond of heroes to begin with] ALL OF WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IZUKU then I would say you're just really being fictitious.

Quote:

Kimetsu no Yaiba may get a lot of flack for how passive Nezuko is but at least there female characters like Shinobu, Kanrinji and Kanao have motivations beyond being the love interest.
And that's not even getting into World Trigger but that would be simply unfair.

Kanao is literally just the love interest because she doesn't have a character beyond that, that other two aren't particularly relevant either. WT doesn't have any interesting female characters infact the bulk of the cast are sterile.

If you're saying that about Kimetsu and WT then I'm gonna guess you don't follow those manga. Saying there's no interesting female characters in WT when Chika alone had better scenes than any of the BnHA is foolish. Uraraka may have had a flashback but her lost relevant moments in the last 50 or so chapters were all basically her acting as Schierke towards Midoriya.

As for the fights I mentioned, saying there was no punching in them is quite different from saying they did something different with their powers.

And I'm not lying when I say I don't remember half the student body since half the student body has done jack for the last half a year or more of the manga.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
RhinocerousTrilbies wrote:
“They all kind of look the same, because they’re all dudes!”

Completely degraded the entire video. Apparently women can never be brought up unless all men are brought down. Such a childish and irresponsible view on gender equality

It pains me to know they’re are BNHA fans out there (like her) who really can’t have both. It has to be no viewership or viewership on the condition that women are all-powerful and men are useless by comparison. Saying none of the male characters have distinguishable designs not only shows a blatant apathy for BNHA and Horikoshi’s efforts but is pretty insulting to those that came to relish these characters. But hey, I’m just a white man. What would I know according to her, huh?!

The statement was not "all the male characters physically look the same." That would be a dumb statement to make as the characters are pretty easy to tell apart. It was an exaggerated observation about how the male characters' powers are highlighted far more often than the female characters which...I don't think is too far out there to say given that we have a pretty good discussion going on right here about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Krunky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Uraraka may have had a flashback but her lost relevant moments in the last 50 or so chapters were all basically her acting as Schierke towards Midoriya

What the hell are you talking about? It hasn't even been 50 chapters since that moment. The manga just went through a big arc focusing on the villians.

Quote:
Saying there's no interesting female characters in WT when Chika alone had better scenes than any of the BnHA is foolish.

Not really. I mean you can't prove me wrong you begin with but you blatant bias towards WT is much more apparent now.

Quote:
As for the fights I mentioned, saying there was no punching in them is quite different from saying they did something different with their powers.

You made a false claim and are now just backtracking.

Quote:
And I'm not lying when I say I don't remember half the student body since half the student body has done jack for the last half a year or more of the manga.

.....there was literally an arc in the manga that showed off the improvements both classes went through that ended in march of this year.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, this escalated to point-by-point dissection quickly...

Look, on the one hand, MHA clearly isn't terrible sexist trash or anything like that. It has quite a few female characters, and they aren't totally wimpy or irrelevant; there's a reason this show has so much outside-demographic appeal. But on the other hand, well, the fact that Toga, one of the villains, so often gets picked as "best girl" tells us a lot. The female side-characters are, in fact, side-characters. They do less, and the things they do are less important. All very much typical of not only shonen anime, but stories in general.

There's a lot of male side-characters, too, but the girls rarely, if ever, have a significant role in the main story, while lots of the guys do. Deku's big-shot mentor and predecessor? Male. (His teacher was a woman, but this is practically a footnote, she appears in one flashback where he does most of the talking.) All Might's old sidekick and leader role in the current arc, also male. The school principal and the two teachers with the vast majority of screentime (Eraserhead and Present Mic), all male. Top 4 in the tournament arc were all male, if I remember correctly. You get the idea.

Haven't seen this week's episode yet, but last week they apparently sidelined the whole girl-crew by having them stay outside to grapple with one henchman while everyone else, almost exclusively guys, went inside to do the serious stuff. Not to mention the entire goal here is the classic "save the girl" scenario. That said, I understand that spoiler[Eri ultimately plays an important role helping Deku beat Overhaul], which is nice, but still a supporting role. Which is kinda disappointing, because she has the potential to be obscenely powerful even on her own. But letting girls be involved in the main plot in any self-sufficient fashion is still a tough sell, it seems.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
March this year is more than six months ago and is exactly what I was talking about. I did say that most fights are punch outs and I stand by that. Gentle and Overhaul may not have been entirely punch outs but were not near a brilliant showcase of tactics and creativity and ultimately devolved into just things being grappled/punched, respectively.

I'm mentioning WT because it's also a series from Shonen Jump but you can just think about To Aru, which has a very similar premise to BHA, and does way better with being creative with powers and the use of them.

As for WT itself, I'm sorry but BnHA really hasn't done much with its female. Leads material. Sure, Uraraka has understandable motives to be a hero but this has barely been explored and has only a marginal impact on her behaviour. You can change her motivations to anything else and very little changes. Now compare this to Iida and his motivation and how it has been largely explored during a whole arc, a treatment no girl got.

Among all the top heroes, most are men. Among the big three Mirio and Sun Eater had important roles but Nejire's biggest moment was being in a beauty pageant. Among all the character arcs in this series so far nearly none of them had any girl taking an active role.the only case I can remember is Ochako in the early training arc.

Now compare this to, again, WT where even secondary female characters are decently explored and have unique motivations that affect their actions. I'm not talking exclusively about Chika but even characters like Nasu, Konami and Kitora. And then you look at Ochako playing the Schierke to Deku and Froppy last memorable moment being her crying because she doesn't want her friends to get hurt. And then there's Jiro who basically just plays second ball to Bakugou both in the team battles and in the culture festival because of course Bakugou know more about music than the girl whose whole thing is music and sound.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Haven't seen this week's episode yet, but last week they apparently sidelined the whole girl-crew by having them stay outside to grapple with one henchman while everyone else, almost exclusively guys, went inside to do the serious stuff. Not to mention the entire goal here is the classic "save the girl" scenario. That said, I understand that spoiler[Eri ultimately plays an important role helping Deku beat Overhaul], which is nice, but still a supporting role. Which is kinda disappointing, because she has the potential to be obscenely powerful even on her own. But letting girls be involved in the main plot in any self-sufficient fashion is still a tough sell, it seems.

Uh Eri's a child, a traumatized child. Sure her quirk gives her potential but she's still just a young child so she shouldn't be expected to partake in the fights or anything. It was the same with Koda, he's a child he so no one expects him to fight or anything.

A supporting role is perfectly fine for such a character because they shouldn't be fighting. The whole point of the arc is to get them out of violence, not getting them in more of it.

ThatMoonGuy wrote:
And then there's Jiro who basically just plays second ball to Bakugou both in the team battles and in the culture festival because of course Bakugou know more about music than the girl whose whole thing is music and sound.

Okay that bit about the culture festival is completely false. Bakugou does not know more about music than Jirou. He simply impressed her enough with his spontaneous drum skills that she decided that he'll be the bands drummer. Beyond that Jirou is the one who managed the classes band, lead everyone in practicing shape, & is the headliner when they start playing with her singing as lead vocals.

She was most certainly not second fiddle to Bakugou during the culture festival.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Look, on the one hand, MHA clearly isn't terrible sexist trash or anything like that. It has quite a few female characters, and they aren't totally wimpy or irrelevant; there's a reason this show has so much outside-demographic appeal. But on the other hand, well, the fact that Toga, one of the villains, so often gets picked as "best girl" tells us a lot. The female side-characters are, in fact, side-characters. They do less, and the things they do are less important. All very much typical of not only shonen anime, but stories in general.

MHA's outside-demographic appeal has more to do with the male characters than the female ones, much like every other shonen that has gotten a large female audience. They're reading and watching it for Todoroki and Bakugo, not because they want to see the female characters get more spotlight. Perhaps some of them do, but that's not what the bulk of that demographic cares about. I don't think as many women really care about the way female characters are handled in anime as much as people think there is given the most popular shounen among female audiences are ones with lots of hot guys and/or have the most BL potential. Women aren't really all that different from men. One of the biggest properties with women this year was Promare, and it had nothing to do with the one or two side female characters in that film.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I’m a guy and I wish shounen in general handled it’s female characters better. I’m only watching the anime for MHA, but I like the girls better than most of the guys to be honest. It sucks to see that they’re mostly side characters with very little development or big moments.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
For starters the topic is MHA, not other shows. So stay on topic folks.

More importantly some of you need to just chill out. Looking right at you Krunky & Kisuke525 in particular. You're both being extremely rude and ignorant so you're both done in this discussion since you can't act decently. People can have differing opinions than you're own without being insulted. Insulting users as you're both doing will not be tolerated. I highly suggest you both improve upon that in future discussion threads.
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

MHA's outside-demographic appeal has more to do with the male characters than the female ones, much like every other shonen that has gotten a large female audience. They're reading and watching it for Todoroki and Bakugo, not because they want to see the female characters get more spotlight. Perhaps some of them do, but that's not what the bulk of that demographic cares about. I don't think as many women really care about the way female characters are handled in anime as much as people think there is given the most popular shounen among female audiences are ones with lots of hot guys and/or have the most BL potential. Women aren't really all that different from men. One of the biggest properties with women this year was Promare, and it had nothing to do with the one or two side female characters in that film.

You too much simplify. Even if women find some male character hot that don't mean they not appreciate well development female characters. Plus male cast in shonen target primarily boys who want self insert as cool worriors not BL lovers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4