• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Angel Beats!, ALDNOAH.ZERO, Valvrave the Liberator Anime to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:
invalidname wrote:
I've been wondering if Aniplex USA would do a re-release of Angel Beats! at some point when the supply of Sentai product dried up (mission accomplished… new copies are going for upwards of $150), possibly including the two OVAs that Sentai didn't get, as a lure for double-dippers. But now that they're corporate cousins with Funimation, I suppose a Funi BD isn't out of the question.

If Angel Beats gets a new home video release, it will more likely be from Aniplex themselves, which will be selling for about what they are now. Aniplex and Funimation are only sharing with streaming content. Aniplex is still doing all of their properties on home video themselves, when they feel like it.

Yeah, I don't see AoA handing off home video rights to Funimation. Even though they are under the same company, and as much as the customers might like that, it makes AoA seem pretty redundant if Funimation streams and produces the discs.

When Aniplex decided not to renew licenses, I took that as a sign that it was time to buy anything I was on the fence about since eventually we'd reach a point where I would have to pay a premium for out-of-print releases, or pay a premium for an Aniplex release, assuming they did one at all.
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see AoA handing off home video rights to Funimation. Even though they are under the same company, and as much as the customers might like that, it makes AoA seem pretty redundant if Funimation streams and produces the discs.

Not if they do it right. I think an arrangement where Funimation gets to produce standard and limited editions of AoA titles while AoA get to produce premium editions of Funimation titles could work. Basically AoA would become the premium brand that caters to the hardcore fans while Funimation takes care of everyone else. AoA would also only make releases of the most popular of shows. I would imagine that AoA releases for titles such as DBZ, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan would sell extremely well.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Is Funi streaming both Angel Beats OVA's?

Have you seen the epilogue OVA of Kill la Kill being streamed anywhere?The Director's Cut version of episode 6 of Gurren Lagann?The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood OVAs?
There's your answer...

Didn't know they had an OVA of Kill la Kill.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
geepee wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Is Funi streaming both Angel Beats OVA's?

Have you seen the epilogue OVA of Kill la Kill being streamed anywhere?The Director's Cut version of episode 6 of Gurren Lagann?The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood OVAs?
There's your answer...

Didn't know they had an OVA of Kill la Kill.

Yeah, it's only available on the disc despite it being the canon last episode.

Kind of a crummy move on AoA's part, but what can ya do?
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

Not if they do it right. I think an arrangement where Funimation gets to produce standard and limited editions of AoA titles while AoA get to produce premium editions of Funimation titles could work. Basically AoA would become the premium brand that caters to the hardcore fans while Funimation takes care of everyone else.

I don't think that's really AoA's business model though. Their releases might have better video quality than the average Funimation set, but they're really not that nice from a collector's standpoint. Some of their initial releases, like Madoka, were pretty nice, but everything I've bought from them since then has come in a flimsy cardboard sleeve (you can barely call it a box) and extras were standard, cheap stuff like reversible covers and postcards.

Their market strategy in the US isn't to capitalize on the collector's market. It's to pump out overpriced home video versions of some of Aniplex's most popular titles, knowing that the biggest fans of those titles will pay basically any price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I don't think that's really AoA's business model though. Their releases might have better video quality than the average Funimation set, but they're really not that nice from a collector's standpoint. Some of their initial releases, like Madoka, were pretty nice, but everything I've bought from them since then has come in a flimsy cardboard sleeve (you can barely call it a box) and extras were standard, cheap stuff like reversible covers and postcards.

They have gotten better somewhat with disc extras but I do agree. Their recent release of I Want to Eat Your Pancreas really would have been better had they used a chipboard box rather than the typical flimsy cardboard that it came in.

Speaking of Madoka, I wonder how they'll handle Magia Record's release when that time comes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2