• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Babylon Has a Whore Complex

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

At the moment, rather than an indictment of women's sexuality being the root of all evil, this looks more to me like an indictment of men's inability to control themselves, projecting their desires onto the women they desire and faulting those women for their own lack of self-control. It reminds me a lot of Lolita, where the story is told entirely from Humbert's point of view, and so she becomes a seductress in his eyes because he was seduced by his own desire for her. Ai also seems to have more of the Sirens legend going for her than the Whore of Babylon, though she only needs to whisper rather than sing to lure men (and women) to their deaths.

Even Ai's "shapeshifting" seems to either be directly or metaphorically about men projecting onto her what they want to see, rather than the reality of who she is. So until that's better explained, along with her power as the suicide whisperer, I've got to withhold judgement of what this is ultimately trying to say.

I also keep getting a less refined Johan (Monster) vibe from her, but I can't tell at this point whether that's just low-key appropriation of the mood, or if there's going to be something larger behind the sense that she was created to be the damaged but supremely manipulative person she is.

The way you've described her makes me feel some Tomie vibes, though by the sounds of it I'm not entirely sure this show manages to pull the concept off as well as Tomie.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I really like the show. It's a genre I'm not too familiar with, but it's done well and the plot isn't predictable (which tends to make things boring). I find the characters to be interesting, and don't get the impression at all that it's anything against women. Both women and men are the victims of Magase Ai.

I also like the philosophical questions it brings, and the visuals are kinda dark and creepy at times.

I'm kind of surprised and confused why people are all on here throwing hate at this series... if it's not your thing, that's 100% cool, but do you have nothing better to do than hang out and announce to strangers how much you dislike something? I can't stand Boku no Hero Academia, and I've posted on that show's articles precisely zero times.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
I really like the show. It's a genre I'm not too familiar with, but it's done well and the plot isn't predictable (which tends to make things boring). I find the characters to be interesting, and don't get the impression at all that it's anything against women. Both women and men are the victims of Magase Ai.

I also like the philosophical questions it brings, and the visuals are kinda dark and creepy at times.

I'm kind of surprised and confused why people are all on here throwing hate at this series... if it's not your thing, that's 100% cool, but do you have nothing better to do than hang out and announce to strangers how much you dislike something? I can't stand Boku no Hero Academia, and I've posted on that show's articles precisely zero times.

How is saying how much you like a show better than saying how much you dislike a show, assuming both are serious posts with compelling arguments and not some trolling? Why so many people in anime communities (I see that argument a lot at MAL as well) treat criticism as something bad? I don't see why circlejerks have a moral higher ground.

As for Tomie, I would love if it would be like Tomie, and much of my disappointment was with the way Ai Magase turned out to be.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

Your argument isn't so much an argument as it's reductive balderdash. Just because you like a show doesn't automatically make it a good show or make anyone around you obligated to not discuss it in order to prevent you from feeling bad. Sometimes your sense of taste just develops an instinctive need to jump off a building and that's okay.

I mean, I like Cross Ange and Basquash! and that doesn't prevent me from acknowledging that both shows are hilarious dumpster fires or discussing them in that context. It certainly doesn't make me feel obligated to defend the horrendous scene in the end of CA's first episode the same way as people here seem intent on defending Babylon's methodical dumping on the female gender.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
I find the characters to be interesting, and don't get the impression at all that it's anything against women. Both women and men are the victims of Magase Ai.

I didn't either, but there's people out there who think if the villain is a woman, it's a statement against all women.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

By that logic you can't criticize anything. That would make everything just a circle-jerk of positivity.

Which while it may sound nice does not open up anything for discussion which is kind of the point of articles like this.

A person brings up an argument about the show, they discuss it, and they welcome others to partake in said discussion. It's not a complicated concept ya know, it's actually quite simple to understand.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:

How is saying how much you like a show better than saying how much you dislike a show, assuming both are serious posts with compelling arguments and not some trolling? Why so many people in anime communities (I see that argument a lot at MAL as well) treat criticism as something bad? I don't see why circlejerks have a moral higher ground.

As for Tomie, I would love if it would be like Tomie, and much of my disappointment was with the way Ai Magase turned out to be.

Oh, I'm not saying it's better or worse to like/dislike a show or say so... I just don't understand the reasoning behind posting when you don't like it. Like, I'm not opposed to people doing so, moreso I'm confused why. Because I don't really ever visit forums for stuff I disliked, so I have trouble understanding the motivation to do so. But everyone's different, so it's cool either way Smile
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Halko wrote:

The issue is as much or more of an issue of toxic masculinity as it is anything else. Guys getting a free pass on sleeping around is stupid as hell and gives men a bad name.

I don't disagree with you, I just didn't want to derail the conversation by talking about masculinity when the show is primarily focused on "the evils of feminine wiles".

I would agree if Babylon was... interested in talking about sex or saying something instead of just being minor window-dressing.

That's the problem with the framing of this discussion. Babylon doesn't care about fact that Ai sleeps around. It never did, it's always about circumstances of use her power to commit crimes. To rob men and women of any agency willingly doing so. It why putting a good counterpart to her as suggest doesn't work, because adds nothing. If the core of Babylon was a discussing and portraying sexual liberation of woman as core narrative and not just vehicle for magic powers that would be great. But she is just someone killing people with mind-control and she doesn't even have to have intercourse with them. She;s larger that life character in show full more mundane and normal people. It goes beyond her having sex or not because Ai is a person who can do anything. She is superhuman, she doesn't think like a marginalized person, a privileged person or acts really something relatable that is just some surface projection.

So attempts trying argue the show misogynist because of her comes off as hollow to me because unlike the other female characters the show hasn't bothered to at least humanize her any way isn't manipulative or has criminalized her earlier sexual acts. Its more concerned who or what she actually is. What is her obsession about death and morality at least I've seen episodes that have aired.

If there is discussion to be had about women's sexual liberation than this isn't the show have it as long there isn't an actual relatable character to springboard that instead of enigma who can't even seemingly gasp that killing people is wrong nor has the empathy to understand that. If saying that can come across as insensitive there higher chance it's more unintentional than is actively malicious.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
While I appreciate the viewpoint of those who see this as unadulterated misogyny, I don't share that view (yet) and am unwilling to dig in on one side or the other until the series is over, as there are too many unanswered questions at this point, and still abundant opportunities for it to save itself (but if Kado is any indication, those may yet be squandered, and since I'm weighing in here mostly on Babylon's side, it almost certainly will go belly up by the end).

At the moment, rather than an indictment of women's sexuality being the root of all evil, this looks more to me like an indictment of men's inability to control themselves, projecting their desires onto the women they desire and faulting those women for their own lack of self-control. It reminds me a lot of Lolita, where the story is told entirely from Humbert's point of view, and so she becomes a seductress in his eyes because he was seduced by his own desire for her. Ai also seems to have more of the Sirens legend going for her than the Whore of Babylon, though she only needs to whisper rather than sing to lure men (and women) to their deaths.

Even Ai's "shapeshifting" seems to either be directly or metaphorically about men projecting onto her what they want to see, rather than the reality of who she is. So until that's better explained, along with her power as the suicide whisperer, I've got to withhold judgement of what this is ultimately trying to say.

I also keep getting a less refined Johan (Monster) vibe from her, but I can't tell at this point whether that's just low-key appropriation of the mood, or if there's going to be something larger behind the sense that she was created to be the damaged but supremely manipulative person she is.

But there several problems with this argument.

1) Ai effects both men and women, and actual deaths are happening.
2) Zen's investigate team aren't against her because she dares to sleep or around or can seduce men, it is because she murdering people. Her powers have euphoria effect is irrelevant and wouldn't be an issue if she wasn't abusing them for her own goals which leads people being harmed.
3) The shapeshifting is happening and is real enough to the point where she disguise herself and fool an entire audience including Itsuki's son.

None of these are just figment of people imagination or at least ep 7 ripped that notation.

Even if its supposed to be either about critical men views towards women and sex or a misogynist tale, it doesn't address or account how literally any person can be influenced by Ai. I mean am I supposed to buy she is only singular beautiful woman in Shinki or all that insane amount attention is drawn to her natural? It screws credulity to believe the world revolve someone that much without some supernatural bent to it. Yet is she supposed to be a stand-in for woman because she does one thing some people might like and ignores the other aspects that actual make her a problem to like everyone else.

If show has any problems with her mind-controlling seductive powers, then it should be about that, not how she choose to use it i.e killing people against their will for political reasons. Now this can all change in the next couple episodes and reveal it has garbage views in the fact that it debases her for sex which I'll join the chorus, but so far it seems to thread the a precarious line to me by making the problem be about her actions and warped philosophy, not her sexy at all which isn't even more than other similar attractive woman without her power. Otherwise I don't know how someone as good looking as Hiasa managed survive or has induced that kind of attention.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

Your rebuttal doesn't really address my argument, which was in opposition to the idea that Babylon is ragingly misogynist (though it could still turn out to be), an idea which you also disagree with, I think? But you're arguing the practical aspects of the story, while I was mostly concerned with trying to figure out what underlying point it's trying to make (which I think it's ultimately too soon to tell, given the unanswered questions about Ai's true nature). I didn't make any assertions either way about the investigation, so I'm not sure why you're taking me to task for that.

Even though she can affect women too (which I did acknowledge), the story has mainly looked at Ai through the eyes of its almost entirely male cast, so that's what I focused on as well when trying to determine any meaning or misogyny behind the story.

I put "shapeshifting" in quotes for a reason. From what I've seen she alters her physical appearance through normal means like makeup, hair style, more or less body and facial padding, and how she carries herself, which may be the most important part of her disguises. Once they realize it's Ai, she always looks like Ai at some fundamental level. It's not like she gains a hundred pounds and 4 inches in height in five minutes kind of shapeshifting. There doesn't seem to be anything supernatural about it other than possibly the extent of her ability to appear to be what others expect her to look like. Her suicide-whispering, on the other hand...that's the real wild card at the moment.

As for Itsuki's son, we don't have enough information to know why he accepted her (for that matter, we still don't know what happened to him!). Maybe Istuki presented her as his stepmom, and she's been playing that role for awhile. Maybe he was coached to pretend she was his mother. We barely saw them together, so maybe he was too preoccupied with everything else and didn't notice since her general appearance fit his expectations.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
@ Iron Maw

I agree that Babylon isn’t interested in treating Ai like a real person. As you put it, she doesn’t think like a marginalized person, she doesn’t think like a privileged person, she doesn’t act like anyone relatable, she isn’t humanized in the least, and is just some surface projection.

I disagree, though, that the show is interested in her killings or her superpowers. No attempt is made to explain or contextualize them and only token attempts are made to stop them. Zen never tells anyone about her full powers, never warns his coworkers or devises protections for them. Wear earplugs, hire a deaf person, hire a eunuch, try something, anything. He doesn’t treat her as a threat to public safety, organize a manhunt, develop a criminal profile, try to predict her next actions, or generally try to make it harder for her to act. He doesn’t attempt to define or test the limits of her shapeshifting. It’s like he doesn’t believe she really has these powers, despite her killing everyone around him with them. And yet he doesn’t try to verify or disprove the powers’ existence, either. He doesn’t really talk at length to the people who have met her, to try to explain her - like really follow up on the ridiculousness of this story. And no one shows the slightest disapproval with Zen’s inaction.

So, in my opinion, that just leaves the effects she has on people. That’s what the show spends its runtime portraying whenever it’s portraying her. All the show seems to care about is that this representation of female seduces people to death. Anyone and everyone, men and women alike. The show is interested in portraying sexual attraction itself as scary, and seduction as a malicious threat. The only question in my mind is which sex the show will ultimately vilify more with this.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
^

So this is a Horror genre show, and Ai is the unstoppable force of distruction in it, entertaining in a horrifying way. She doesn't have to make sense, and it would be less horrifying if she did. And thus less entertaining to the folks that like this stuff.

I want my entertainment to have a balance of power in it between protagonist and antagonist, and that's why I don't like the unstoppable horror genre in general, and this show in particular.

I thought this show was having a genre shift, but I guess it never did. I enjoyed three eps, weird cuts and all, thinking it was a cop show, maybe starting to delve into magical realism. And it never was; those three eps were just setup for the horror, to make the impact of the horror that much stronger.

I imagine it'll just get worse from here for the MC, trying but getting beat at every turn. I don't know.

So it's not my thing. Sigh.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say this show just isn't for you guys. While it's got it's issues I think it has an interesting premise and I think that's enough to keep me watching to the end.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
That's fair. It's been a relief for me to follow this thread, and see people genuinely reacting to the show differently than me.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:

Your rebuttal doesn't really address my argument, which was in opposition to the idea that Babylon is ragingly misogynist (though it could still turn out to be), an idea which you also disagree with, I think? But you're arguing the practical aspects of the story, while I was mostly concerned with trying to figure out what underlying point it's trying to make (which I think it's ultimately too soon to tell, given the unanswered questions about Ai's true nature). I didn't make any assertions either way about the investigation, so I'm not sure why you're taking me to task for that.

I mean I agree with your main point but for different reasons and the practical aspects can't be divorced from the underlying themes otherwise the narrative becomes rather incoherent.

Quote:
Even though she can affect women too (which I did acknowledge), the story has mainly looked at Ai through the eyes of its almost entirely male cast, so that's what I focused on as well when trying to determine any meaning or misogyny behind the story.

That has more to do with cast largely being male so comes across are selective to use that as justification for suggesting misogyny. Especially when there are multiple men who have met Ai and not fallen for her naturally. The strong attraction/fixture only comes when she intention uses whatever weird force she has on hand. Its presence is so surreal and over the top I don't know supposed to be relatable to how men view women or issue they might have women being sexual active. The fact works just as well on other women throws further monkey wrench into that idea and no longer makes what Ai is doing a social issue tas much as it is actually a supernatural one.

Quote:
I put "shapeshifting" in quotes for a reason. From what I've seen she alters her physical appearance through normal means like makeup, hair style, more or less body and facial padding, and how she carries herself, which may be the most important part of her disguises. Once they realize it's Ai, she always looks like Ai at some fundamental level. It's not like she gains a hundred pounds and 4 inches in height in five minutes kind of shapeshifting. There doesn't seem to be anything supernatural about it other than possibly the extent of her ability to appear to be what others expect her to look like. Her suicide-whispering, on the other hand...that's the real wild card at the moment.

I would agree with this but in ep 3 we saw warp her face in real time. At time I just though it was for directional flair, but once ep 7 reveal how she got 60+ random people to kill themselves it became pretty clear to me these things are not symbolic If there were it's forcing the characters to act completely OoC to awkwardly prove some point and ironically undermining itself in the process. I feel like this angle would work a lot better if Ai wasn't as powerful as she is.

Quote:
As for Itsuki's son, we don't have enough information to know why he accepted her (for that matter, we still don't know what happened to him!). Maybe Istuki presented her as his stepmom, and she's been playing that role for awhile. Maybe he was coached to pretend she was his mother. We barely saw them together, so maybe he was too preoccupied with everything else and didn't notice since her general appearance fit his expectations.

That's fair. Itsuki and Ai are working together so he clearly knew who she was.

Probablytomorrow wrote:
[b]
I disagree, though, that the show is interested in her killings or her superpowers. No attempt is made to explain or contextualize them and only token attempts are made to stop them. Zen never tells anyone about her full powers, never warns his coworkers or devises protections for them. Wear earplugs, hire a deaf person, hire a eunuch, try something, anything. He doesn’t treat her as a threat to public safety, organize a manhunt, develop a criminal profile, try to predict her next actions, or generally try to make it harder for her to act. He doesn’t attempt to define or test the limits of her shapeshifting. It’s like he doesn’t believe she really has these powers, despite her killing everyone around him with them. And yet he doesn’t try to verify or disprove the powers’ existence, either. He doesn’t really talk at length to the people who have met her, to try to explain her - like really follow up on the ridiculousness of this story. And no one shows the slightest disapproval with Zen’s inaction.

So, in my opinion, that just leaves the effects she has on people. That’s what the show spends its runtime portraying whenever it’s portraying her. All the show seems to care about is that this representation of female seduces people to death. Anyone and everyone, men and women alike. The show is interested in portraying sexual attraction itself as scary, and seduction as a malicious threat. The only question in my mind is which sex the show will ultimately vilify more with this.

This correct, but only if you ignore the context of the first 6 episodes. Zen doesn't do anything of what you suggest because

1) He's only met her like 3 times.
2) He's still treating her like a a normal criminal. Its not until ep7 he wasn't much more to her than that and it's not like he didn't investigate her past.

As for her power, I don't think all that much to discuss about her suggestive power either since the show doesn't go into that much either. Gender has no effect on it and people under effects are far too removed from normal behavior to treat as discourse on sex. Zen himself who our POV doesn't bring up an issues which her sexuality.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Zen doesn't do anything of what you suggest because

1) He's only met her like 3 times.
2) He's still treating her like a a normal criminal. Its not until ep7 he wasn't much more to her than that and it's not like he didn't investigate her past.

Zen had actually only met Ai once (twice? I'm not sure if the episode 3 scene was real or his imagination) before the scene in episode 5 where he declared her the most evil woman in the world. I think he was definitely thinking of her as more than a normal criminal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5