• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge Of The 2010s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
On Friday night I had to stop at the 150-minute mark, but last night I listened to the rest of it. I was expecting some bold picks from Daryl and he did not disappoint, but all four lists are filled with shows and movies I loved. Excellent show.

I just have a hard time putting a personal top 10 together because of the insane amount of shows I watched this decade, thanks to a combination of simulcasting and the industry producing way too many titles. Also, I can't mix series and movies on the same list because my brain just doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree with many of the points made and titles chosen, and I can list about fifty other shows worthy of critical evaluation.

But I'm going to take some space to list the crowd pleaser anime that I will turn to first before all the others to watch for the sheer good feelings that I get from watching them.

I'll always make time for the K-On francise, and similarly Love, Chunibyou and Other Delusions.
Girls und Panzer is a delightful favourite.
High School of the Dead is fantastic, schlocky fun in a similar vein to Angel Beats.
As a sci-fi geek I love Cat Planet Cuties. Any anime that can reference Red Dwarf is a winner in my book.

One Gen Urobouchi joint that wasn't mentioned, but is a personal favourite of mine is Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, a compelling piece of speculative fiction, Waterworld with Giant Robots.

Speaking of mecha shows, one worthy of reevaluation from the start of the decade is Rideback, a near future show about a ballet dancer that gets a career ending injury, and finds salvation in this new sport, with these motorbikes that transform into bipedal skating robots that you ride the back of. There's this political dimension to the story that subtly sneaks up on you, what looks like a fun show suddenly turns on a dime into complete heartbreak.

As for Samurai Flamenco. I have a weird kind of hate for it. The first time I saw it, I wtf'd my way through the show, and I just couldn't believe the ridiculousness it was demanding that I accept. It is the worst show that I have ever shelled out money on, I simply had to have the Blu-rays (UK) on my shelf to remind myself of just what kind of s*** creators smoke sometimes.
timber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I find it difficult to choose a top 10 so I will just list in no particular order some series I like to rewatch.

Haikyuu! Great characters and superb animation of the volleyball games.

Girls und Panzer. Pure fun and silliness, school tournaments of tank battles!

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- I can see the Isekai genre is in disgrace: not a single mention of in 4H while during its release it generated by far the longest ever discussion thread I have seen on ANN! So I will add a few more Isekai titles to my list.

Konosuba, great comedy of a guy reincarnated in another world with female companions such as a useless goddess which attracts all the undead nearby, a chuni mage which only fire once a day an explosion spell (i.e. the equivalent of a tactical nuke) and a crusader which is on the M side.

Log Horizon, players trapped in a game which become real.

Grimgar of the Ashes, a realistic Isekai where people are called to another world and are only authorized to take the job of fighting monsters for a living.

Youjo Senky, The saga of Tania the Devil. Dying human resources manager tells the entity it encounters that God doesn't exists and only desperate people would believe in God, so he get reincarnated as an orphan girl in a world about to enter the equivalent of world war 1. Using her high magic compatibility as a shoe, she enters military school with the idea of graduating from there and obtaining a safe desk job at tactical school and thus survive both poverty and the war. Due to some nudges by "entity X" but mostly due to her own actions (which is the fun part of the show) she always end up with the most dangerous assignments.

Durarara, welcome to the big city of Ikebukuro. Meets its wonders: a barman which cannot control its force when enraged, a mysterious "Dollars" gang to which anyone can adhere, an headless rider on black motorcycle, ...

Ookami-san and the seven companions, a low profile summer comedy but I just don't get bored because the story is narrated by Satomi Arai (Kuroko in a certain scientific railgun, Beatrice in Re: Zero, ...) in her distinctive voice with lines in the style "Normally this should be our great fan service scene of the girl taking a shower, but my apologies as there is nothing to see, the poor thing is completely flat".

Working this is another comedy I liked centered around the eccentric employees of a family restaurant.

March comes in like a Lion, from the author of "Honey and Clover".

Shirobako, the story of a girl who wants to make anime and is engaged in a small anime studio. A compelling history with good characters and a great way to discover the anime making process.

Thunderbold Fantasy, not an anime but animated dolls. Good special effects and great voice acting really give live to the scenes.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, great voice acting here, which is a must here since the story centers round Rakugo a theatrical genre where a single story teller sits before the audience and tells traditional stories while mimicking the different characters.

Silver Spoon centered around an agronomic school and the difficulties of the framing sector.
Natsume Yuujinchou gentle story featuring a boy seeing youkais.

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shirana, a classical tear jerker. Note that on that front the "Mother's Rosario" arc of SAO gets the job done too.

And finally some S-F:

Knights of Sidonia, follow the Sidonia seed ship and the last remnant of humanity in their fight against the ultimate space creatures, the Gaunas.

Psycho Pass S1, Japan is now controlled by the Sybil system which can determine via monitoring cameras if you are about to commit a crime. The enforcers uses the dominator, an weapon which just paralyse you for mild case, or utterly destroy you at the cellular level if your crime coefficient is too high. Note: only S1 is good, you can drop S2. S3 is OKish but will required a S4 for explanations.

From the new world, what happens to our civilization if powerful psychics arise in our middle. We follow a band of young psychics educated in a small village a few thousand years after our civilization with a multitudes of questions in mind: why are some the young disappearing without the others even remembering them, why is the nature so changed with all these dangerous or bizarre creatures like the sentient ratmens, what about the rumored demons and where is the normal humanity. The frightening truth awaits you in the final episode.

Space Brothers, follow two brothers which chase their dream to become astronauts and walk on the moon. No shonen jump story here, just realistic S-F (at for a few more years).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t put together a full list, but I can at least say with certainty my top three are

1. Madoka Magica
  2. Angel Beats!
  3. Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun

I’m pretty sure I’d have Yuri On Ice somewhere in the top 10. Like Mike, I've had a pretty sheltered media intake, but rather than his example of softball LGBTQ content like the Kevin Kline movie In And Out (can we also include Will and Grace here?), I think the fact I'm older than Mike makes me think of AIDS-era stuff like Philadelphia, Angels in America and The Normal Heart. Understandably, given the existential threat of the AIDS crisis in the 80s and 90s, these tended to be somber or even bleak works. So I was stunned to watch YOI and see something so absolutely infused with joy throughout (and I felt the same way later about the adorkable girls in Kase-san and Morning Glories). Someone at some point (maybe Zac?) once said "a story about a marginalized people doesn't always/only have to be about marginalization", and this is a reminder of that.

As for Mike's comment about the dearth of mecha shows, I guess I’m going to go to my grave saying that more real robot / mech fans should have watched Schwarzesmarken than just the dwindling base of die-hard Muv-Luv fans. But its mix of conventional military, mechs, and aliens make for some really interestingly asymmetric battles, and they're storyboarded and directed in such a way that they're easy to follow. You're rarely confused about who's where, doing what, and why, and that's not easy to do in mech shows. I tweeted a couple clips of this earlier this year: 1, 2.

As for Zac’s dismissal of the many, many spin-offs of minimal quality from Madoka Magica, the one I would defend is the Joan of Arc manga, Tart Magica. It’s so far removed from the source material, it basically has to do its own thing with the wish/magic/witch system, and is far better for it. It's a real shock when it finally does make its one tie-in back to the original Madoka series.

EDIT: I forgot a worst, and that's easy: Himegoto. An unbelievably mean-spirited series that starts with "forced to cross-dress to pay a debt" and makes it all the way to "raping tr*ps is hilarious" by its last episode. Burn this shit with fire.

Last edited by invalidname on Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:

I'll always make time for the K-On francise, and similarly Love, Chunibyou and Other Delusions.

I don't think I'm going to post a top 10 here because I don't feel like justifying each and every choice and there are only so many ways I can pad out "I like it because it's cute, nostalgic, funny, and well-animated" which would be at least half of what I would put on such a list, but, if I were going to make a top 10, I'd be split on whether or not to include K-On! for this decade instead of the previous one.

The case for including K-On! would be that K-On!! aired in 2010 as one double-cour second season and, when combined with the 2011 K-On! movie, comprises roughly 70% of the total animated running time for the franchise. K-On!! is also structurally different from the first season simply because they had twice the episodes for a single school year whereas the first two years were crammed into 13 episodes and an OVA so the third year, when you include the movie, has roughly four times the total running time of either of the first two school years.

The case against would be that the anime still started airing in 2009 and I don't think either the second season or the movie is distinct enough in tone from the first season for me to consider it a distinct entity, unlike 2010's The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was the other item on the top 3 I submitted to Zac on Twitter and which has a considerably more serious tone than either season of the TV anime on the whole (save for perhaps a certain scene in the TV series involving Ryoko Asakura).

In short, I could go either way on including K-On! on a 2010s list but, even if I did, I doubt it'd be in my top three simply because, for light comedy slice-of-life, I like the "Non Nons" even more than I like the "Keions".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please post each commentors top 10 and runner ups? I sometimes drift off during long podcasts and forget who said what.

Thank you!
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
Please forgive any typos, misspellings, etc.

Daryl Surat
Runners-Up: Devilman CryBaby; Gundam the Origin; Doctor Stone.
10 The Tatami Galaxy
9 Attack on Titan
8 Kill la Kill
7 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
6 Lupin the 3rd Jigens Gravestone OVA
5 Mob Psycho 100
4 Space Battleship Yamoto 2199
3 Hanebado!
2 91 Days
1 Macross Frontier the Movie The Wings of Goodbye

Lynzee Loveridge
Runners-Up: Yuri on Ice; original Free; Wandering Son.
10 Psycho Pass, season one
9 A Place Further than the Universe.
8 One Punch Man, season one.
7 Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
6 The Ancient Magus' Bride
5 Devilman CryBaby
4 Made in Abyss
3 Flowers of Evil
2 Madoka Magica "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" (TV)
1 Mob Psycho 100, season two

Zac Bertschy
Runners-Up: Thunderbolt Fantasy; Your Name.
10 Death Parade
9 Land of the Lustrous
8 Yuri on Ice
7 From the New World
6 Fate Zero
5 Yurikuma Arashi
4 Madoka Magica "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" (TV)
3 Promare (movie)
2 Evangelion 3.33
1 Devilman CryBaby

Mike Toole
Runners-Up: gdgd Faries; Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou; Inferno Cop.
10 A Place Further than the Universe.
9 Sound! Euphonium
8 The Tatami Galaxy
7 Chihayafuru
6 Space Dandy
5 Promare (movie)
4 Yuri on Ice
3 Nichijou
2 Gundam Thunderbolt
1 Samurai Flamenco

Last edited by Nom De Plume De Fanboy on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
sorry, didn't catch this one, something about a musical comedy with a DJ show(?)

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou.

Thanks for typing up the four lists.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Just Passing Through wrote:

I'd be split on whether or not to include K-On! for this decade instead of the previous one.

etc....

As I made a disclaimer about this specifically, I'm fine with adding K-on! and should have. To me, a franchise end point is so much more important than a beginning. (For instance, If/when March Comes in Like a Lion returns, it will count for this next decade as well)
But I was working off my year-end lists for the decade and for some reason I rated K-on! in the second half of my list, with an also-ran description and didn't notice it. But then, 2010-2011 was extremely strong for me, Probably a third of my choices are from the first couple years. But after 9 years opinions do change and some near the top fall down a bit (Katanagatari was top three for me at the time-but I had JUST watched it) and something like K-on just infested my consciousness over the years. I may just revise my list, make Chunbiyo a footnote instead of a representative pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
I'll make sure to listen to this later! It's certainly interesting to look back at the decade and see the ways anime has both changed and stayed the same.

Here's my personal top ten:

1. Yuri!!! on Ice
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Shirobako
4. A Place Further than the Universe
5. Run with the Wind
6. Nichijou
7. My Hero Academia
8. Kyousogiga
9. Zombie Land Saga
10. Princess Jellyfish

Honorable Mentions: Thunderbolt Fantasy (because it's technically a puppet show and not anime), JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (because while I love JoJo's since this was the decade I finally got into it, I'm not entirely sure where to place it on the list since each of the parts are different).
isahackjob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
If theres nothing else to say about Rebelion, its an amazing piece of animation from a art standpoint.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
isahackjob wrote:
If theres nothing else to say about Rebelion, its an amazing piece of animation from a art standpoint.

I agree with that.

But the last thing to say about Rebellion, is that it needs to be finished. After all, it ended on a cliff hanger.
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
2010s almost made me stop watching anime - so much garbage.
Thankfully there's a lot from 80s and 90s (and a bit from 00s).

That being said - new JOJOs came out in 2010s, new FMP, and a bit more. But nothing REALLY memorable.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
sorry, didn't catch this one, something about a musical comedy with a DJ show(?)

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou.

Thanks for typing up the four lists.

Thanks, fixed.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to make a whole list, but I am surprised at how few people here have mentioned 3-gatsu no Lion ("March Comes in Like a Lion"). It's second season received my first ten score at MAL since Cross Game. March is full of touching and emotional moments. The bullying arc is among the best presentation of these issues I've seen in anime. I have my ups and downs with shows by Simbo Akiyuki and SHAFT, but they truly hit the mark in this one. It has just enough surrealism to be one of their works, but reality is never far away. Great seiyuu cast and a lovely score as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4