• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge Of The 2010s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
It took me a few days, but I listened to it.
I did enjoy this episode greatly, with two reservations:
1) Did anyone else think the participants were too similar in their tastes? I would have welcomed a Theron's fondness for trash (no disrespect intended), or a Jacob's taste for the sweet and silly in the mix.
2) I want a redo of "Revenge of the 2010s" in a few years with the benefit of hindsight. Right now, it is definitely the case that recent shows loom larger than ones from the start of the decade. (As was raised in the show: the fact that Angel Beats was almost not mentioned at all is amazing. Let's see what ten years' perspective does.)

For my own favourites, ther have been so many. But I know Love, Chunibyou and Other Delusions is the show I have repeat watched more than any other!
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Had to take a little more time listening but nevertheless loved the longer length for this episode especially hearing everything in detail, also having multiple guests is always nice. Most of what I love about these shows has already been talked about or comment so I'll keep it short:

10) Sound! Euphonium (2015) - Tatsuya Ishihara. Managed to beat out one of my honourable mentions Kids On The Slope, because although I preferred the actually music of the latter, having been not necessarily part of a band but an orchestre, this one resonated with me very well and Kyoani's gorgeous art and animation also helped too

9) The Tatami Galaxy (2010) - Masaki Yuasa. A show which really made me look for the director's name from then on, liked the way it told its story and the mishaps involved

8) Nichijou (2011) - Tatsuya Ishihara. My second Kyoani pick and by this director, I'm a great fan of comedies and I felt this one got everything just right blend with the hyper exaggerated animation made it stand out from the rest in particular

7) Wandering Son (2011) - Ei Aoki. Just inched out another honourable mention, Yuri On Ice, loved the pastel-like stylization and I felt it handled its topics with extreme expertise and delicase

6) March Comes In Like A Lion (2016) - Akiyuki Shinbou. Lovely visual storytelling and blending perfectly with the game and stories that where ongoing

5) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (2016) - Shinichi Omata. The first of the two sleeper hits on my list, caught me strong right from the memorable first episode and had wonderful characterisations

4) Mob Psycho 100 (2016) - Yuzuru Taxhikawa. Unique and beautiful animation, story and messages greatly passed my expections

3) Made In Abyss (2018) - Masayuki Kojima. Yep, came out of nowhere and ended up being my favourite show of that year, especially loved the setting which was greatly enhanced by the art, story and also the stellar soundtrack (one of my favourites)

2) From The New World (2012) - Masashi Ishihama. One of my favourite psychological anime, found it intriguing throughout and rarely stumbled

1) Mawaru Penguindrum (2011) - Kunihiko Ikuhara. My favourite piece made by him, I loved every bit of it from the art design, animation, characters, music, plot and more, it may be favourite anime period since I first watched it so pretty much had this spot guaranteed[/u]

Edit: Ok so first I looking back at this comment I guess I failed at the task of keeping it short, second also forgot to include my other honourable mentions so in alphabetical order here they are:

Death Parade
Durarara!!
Flying Witch
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Haikyuu!!
Humanity Has Declined
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Land of the Lustrous
Ping Pong The Animation
Shirobako
The Devil Is A Part-timer!
The Eccentric Family
Yuru Camp

And lastly I'd like to not that during the creation of this list I realized that I still have not watched many of the profile shows such Madoka Magica, Space Battleship Yamato, In This Corner Of The World (most anime movies really), Evangelion, etc. since I've been seemingly eternally putting them off for whatever reason so that's at least one thing I could put on my 2020 to do list
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:

1) Did anyone else think the participants were too similar in their tastes? I would have welcomed a Theron's fondness for trash (no disrespect intended), or a Jacob's taste for the sweet and silly in the mix.

I would also like to have heard Paul Jensen who, while I obviously can't predict exactly what he'd put in a top 10, I am at least aware enjoys a few of the same "comfy" slice-of-life shows I do, but the show was already getting to an unwieldy length with 4 panelists as it was.

At minimum I managed to get Non Non Biyori mentioned on air as my own top pick, which was better than not hearing it mentioned at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quote
Yes, it was good to have listener lists like yours leavening the mix. I liked the fact that someone had My Teen Romantic Comedy... Season 2. That season was wonderful, and I can see it could be a very meaningful personal favourite, even if nobody else put it in the top three of the decade.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
With this episode being 4+ hours, I guess I'll post while I listen. Also, you guys dropped it a little earlier than I expected. I was trying to catch up on my anime. I'm definitely biased in favor of the beginning of the decade.

10. Another (2012) I think the biggest appeal of this show was the atmosphere and the way the music intensified that. The mystery surrounding Mei Misaki, and her relationship (or lack thereof) with her classmates was intriguing. The "whose next?" element of the episodes was also a draw.

09. Heroman (2010) This show spoke to the prepubescent boy in me. It also spoke to the feeling that sometimes we need a hero to save the day in this chaotic world. The relationship between Joey and Heroman, and the strength that Heroman and Joey gave each other, was a draw for me. The second ending theme is incredible, as well.

08. Shiki (2010) I wasn't a huge fan of Higurashi: When They Cry beccause it seemed cheesy and almost campy at some points. I think Shiki is almost Higurashi done right, in terms of the pervading ambiance of terror, that turns into horror. Shiki was a mirror reflecting the violent nature of humans, and our brutality toward "otherness".

07. Chaika - The Coffin Princess (2014) This series had maybe the most perfect balance of action, comedy, magic, romance and mystery I've seen in recent memory. It never compromises its integrity, and maintains its complex plotlines throughout. This is one of those series I can watch multiple times.

06. A Certain Magical Index II (2010) Action-packed, fun, cool magic, and I loved the characters (Touma reminds me of myself a lot, and Index is just adorable). The high-pitched, uptempo music also fits perfectly with the atmosphere and action of the series.

05. Hanasaku Iroha - Blossoms for Tommorow (2011) I've never been much of a comedy fan (in terms of anime), but I found myself laughing at this. I also found myself being inspired by Ohana as she made the best out of her situation and sudden life changes, all while growing along the way.

04. Chihayafuru (2011) I didn't know much about Karuta before watching this series. However, after seeing these well-developed characters, each with their own ambitions, strive to master this game with the intensity of a physical sport, I became interested in the actual game Karuta and began to learn more. There's something that's just real about the experiences of the characters.

03. Kids on the Slope (2012) When you combine real Jazz with a coming-of-age tale involving young love, all within the setting of post-war Japan... you get something exceptional. Seeing these kids go through their struggles, all the while mastering their craft as musical artists was inspiring.

02. anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2011) Love triangles can sometimes feel forced and cheesy. Not anohana. This series had a very concrete, real feeling to it. The unfortunate reality of friends many times drifting further apart after tragedy was perfectly captured in this title. The mystery surrounding Menma and her forgotten wish just makes it all the more tear-inducing.

01. WATAMOTE (2013) Anyone whose even slightly socially awkward, or has experienced being the odd one out, and the justifications and motives for that we invent in our own heads, was definitely affected by this series. We can all relate to the assumption that high school is going to be leagues better than grade school. And watching Tomoko's overly-optimistic fantasies about the future play out, uh, not how she expected, and her absolute projection, was like a mirror to our own mental lives. It was possibly the most introspective anime I ever seen.

Honorable Mentions:

Angel Beats (great series, but somehow never finished)
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
Parasyte
Izetta: The Last Witch
Dusk maiden of Amnesia
Space Brothers
The Promised Neverland (The only reason it isn't like number 2 is because it's so new)
Attack on Titan
Colorful

It's weird not seeing 100+ posts so far. I guess 2019 just wasn't a standout year for anime -- in terms of overall quality, because there certainly isn't a scarcity of titles.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

It's weird not seeing 100+ posts so far. I guess 2019 just wasn't a standout year for anime -- in terms of overall quality, because there certainly isn't a scarcity of titles.

Realize that this will almost certainly not be the only "best of 2010's" feature. The rest of the columnists will probably get their say, maybe after the usual "Best of 2019" feature.
THAT one will probably get the 100+ replies and the "HOW COULD YOU" posts, etc.
...and this one, a poster sort of infers that you should listen to a 4+ hour podcast to participate.

It's also possible (not likely due to newness) that someone might want to consider Stars Align or other Fall show... depending on the ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Realize that this will almost certainly not be the only "best of 2010's" feature. The rest of the columnists will probably get their say, maybe after the usual "Best of 2019" feature.
THAT one will probably get the 100+ replies and the "HOW COULD YOU" posts, etc.
...and this one, a poster sort of infers that you should listen to a 4+ hour podcast to participate.

It's also possible (not likely due to newness) that someone might want to consider Stars Align or other Fall show... depending on the ending.

Yeah, more of the cast is probably going have their say with "Anime in America: Best of 2019" columns. I'm looking forward to the discussion and "HOW COULD YOU?!" posts Laughing

Stars Align doesn't exactly seem like my cup of tea, but I'm always being surprised when I step out of my genre box.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast. I found Zac's list especially charming as it clearly came from the view of someone who had come out within the last five years or so. I mean I'm sure many of those picks would be on there regardless but there's definitely a reoccurring theme of struggling gays, & I could imagine some 17 year old trying to absorb as much queer media as they could find having similar picks. Very Happy

I am quite surprised that Shirobako didn't make it on anybodies lists, let alone runner ups. Given how warmly I remember it being received, and especially given your place as industry professionals, I would have thought it would have a stronger place in your hearts. Even Miles didn't pick it in the end. I guess it was just one of those shows that faded from people's memories as the decade wore on.

One other thing worth mentioning to Zac is that if you appreciate the design work for Land of the Lustrous, maybe see if you can track down the Studio Orange Concept Arts, & especially Haruko Ichikawa's 'Pseudomorph of Love' illustration books, as they're both packed with incredible content. I had to use a proxy shipping service to buy one of them, but they may be more easily available now. Either way, they're both proud coffee table regulars

marek1712 wrote:
2010s almost made me stop watching anime - so much garbage.
Thankfully there's a lot from 80s and 90s (and a bit from 00s).

That being said - new JOJOs came out in 2010s, new FMP, and a bit more. But nothing REALLY memorable.

Buddy, I think you may just be done with the medium and need to leave it behind. I've been watching anime since 1994, & this has easily been the most jammed packed decade of content I've encountered, even after going back to classic 70-80's titles. Sure, there's more glut, less of the pre-2000's auteur and amateur content, plus several trends I wish would quietly die. but every season offered at least two or three shows I was incredibly invested in, often with wildly varying styles. Perhaps some of my favorite genres weren't quite as represented as they one were, but for the most part both the scriptwriting and directorial ambitions were leagues ahead the wooden, automated presentation of many so-called 00's classics, while the big successes weren't islands with years separating them as was often the case in the 90's.

The only exception I'll concede is mecha. If you were a fan of that then this decade was dire.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

The only exception I'll concede is mecha. If you were a fan of that then this decade was dire.

How can you say that in a decade that includes Planet With and Promare? I'm not even a mecha fan and those both blew me completely away.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

How can you say that in a decade that includes Planet With and Promare? I'm not even a mecha fan and those both blew me completely away.

Unfortunately Promare had a pretty limited release in the UK so I haven't managed to watch it yet. I'm totally with you on Planet With, despite the mecha easily its least interesting aspect compared to the characterisation & themes. I'd also say that Break Blade, several Gundam series/ovas, EVOL, Star Driver and Eureka Seven AO were also great, although I'm apparently on my own re: the latter. Still, the amount of original IPs really dried out as the decade wore on, while some of few big successes included the likes of Valvrave, Cross Ange & FranXX, indicating a significant shift in marketing. For more traditional fans, there wasn't much beyond what Sunrise's Gundams divisions were churning out.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
Was saving this for when I knew I'd have a 4½ hour round trip drive, so I finally got around to listening to this. While there were a few surprises (Fate/Zero, for instance), about 80% of the lists and negatives were what I would have expected.

I'll hold off on posting my personal Top 10 for now, in case Zac does decide to do a broader Best of Decade activity, but I will say that it would not overlap much with the lists in the podcast. I'm also, frankly, flabbergasted that Worst of Decade can be discussed without bringing up the hideous Manyu Hiken-cho. There are worse titles out there in the decade for both technical merits and story execution, but even eight years later I think I can still say that I have never seen a non-hentai title that was more conceptually vile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Banana Fish is it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
One thing about this show I kept forgetting to comment on was when one of the lists by Twitter users included Gatchaman Crowds, and Zac and the others said the show aged badly because it was too optimistic about using social media to crowd-source heroism.

That's a fair assessment, but I think the second season, titled Gatchaman Crowds Insight, not only aged well but was downright prophetic about the terrible impact social media has had on democracies everywhere. It's definitely worth a watch, even for those who didn't care for the first season.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I would probably need to spend a lot of time actually putting them in order, but I think I can list 10 anime from this decade that I loved above just about all others.

Made In Abyss
Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai
School-Live
Rokka no Yuusha
Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War
Punch-Line
Re:Zero - Starting Life In Another World
Happy Sugar Life
Outbreak Company
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

These probably could go in any order, with the exception of Re:Zero, inarguably my favorite of the decade and possibly my favorite anime of all time.

Honorable mentions include:

Anime-gataris
The Ryuo's Work is Never Done
Samurai Flamenco
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Bubuki Buranki
Bloom Into You (if i had finished it lmao)

I don't usually make it a habit of watching more than a couple episodes of anime I know I won't like so I haven't watched to completion many that I've winded up hating.

With that said:

Danganronpa 3
Rising of the Shield Hero
Fate/Zero

All three of these shows are either hilariously incompetent, utterly juvenile schlock, or both. If I had to pick one that was the worst it would be Shield Hero, but all three are pretty awful and only worth watching if you want to be miserable or have a good laugh.
ronri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
Regarding From The New World and its "literary" atmosphere, it helps that the show was an adaptation of an award-winning novel in Japan. Very happy that this series as well as Land Of The Lustrous got picked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4