• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge Of The 2010s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This decade has been pretty good for anime and manga, it’s not my favorite decade that would be the 90s and 80s, but there were a lot of fresh new ideas and experimental series. I can’t decide what my favorite shows were (and even then, I haven’t watched everything in this decade) but some of the highlights were the return of Dragon Ball with Battle of the Gods, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure gaining worldwide popularity, the creation of Studio Trigger, the rise of Isekai series, Your Name becoming the most succesful anime movie.
If I have to name some of the most popular works of the decade I would mention Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, Attack on Titan, Yuri on Ice, Your Name, Sword Art Online (I know it's controversial, but I'm just listing it as popular), Osomatsu-san, My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, and the list goes on.
As I said, I haven't seen everything this decade, but the works I mentioned earlier were some of the most talked about this decade. I just hope the new '20s can bring new ideas to the table.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
This decade has been really good, and it is tough to even really limit a list to the 10 best, subjectivity aside. I am not counting series that have a half to a majority of their run in 2009 or earlier. Otherwise, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, the Kara no Kyokai films, Black Lagoon, and Mushishi would appear on the list.

10. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - An absolutely fantastic romance with really well done psychological and supernatural elements, as well as a strong cast.

9. Seitokai Yakuindomo - As someone earlier said, this is a great sex comedy. It never relies on the typical humor of other comedies centered around sex, almost always avoiding the obvious joke. Praise be to Sentai Filmworks for releasing it in North America.

8. Shirobako - Provides insights into the industry while presenting us with a wonder ensemble. A must watch.

7. Run with the Wind - I might be biased because I ran throughout middle school and high school, but Run with the Wind is a sport anime that anyone can relate to. Only two of the main characters are actually runners from the beginning, with the others all at different stages of life and college.

6. A Place Further than the Universe - Another fantastic ensemble. Follow these girls' in the most beautiful journey of 2018.

5. March Comes in Like a Lion - This anime is basically just emotion animated. The cast is highly varied in ages and stages of life, and each character is given the utmost sincerity and devotion in they way they are handled. A watercolor painting come to life.

4. Lupin the Third Part 5 - The best example of a love letter to any series. Keeps the spirit of the older series while providing wonderful insight and development of the central cast in wholly satisfying ways.

3. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - No series this decade have embodied the idea of "heart" more than this one.

2. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works - Of all of the Fate adaptations this decade, UBW is my favorite because I find the Shirou/Rin relationship the most balanced, as both are people struggling to accept their own humanity. Fate/Zero is fantastic, and I really like Fate/Kaleid, but for me, UBW is my favorite.

1. Monogatari Series - My favorite series of all time. Fantastic dialogue-driven storytelling with fully realized and complex characters. It never plays it safe, and each character is integral. Stylistically speaking, it is well varied while also being iconic of that SHAFT look.

Honorable Mentions: Laid-Back Camp, After the Rain, Fruits Basket, Golden Kamuy, My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, Kill la Kill, Death Parade, Maria the Virgin Witch, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, Flying Witch

Most Underrated: Konohana Kitan - WATCH IT. The storytelling is surprisingly great.
Maur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
sorry, didn't catch this one, something about a musical comedy with a DJ show(?)

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou.

Thanks for typing up the four lists.

Thanks, fixed.

Than you, you paragon of selfless virtue.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
Lets be honest here-
1. Fate/Series
2. Attack on Titan
3. Steins;Gate
4. Sword Art Online
5. One Punch Man
6. Love Live
7. Madoka Magica
8. Psycho-Pass
9. JoJo's
10. Monogatari Series
These anime sum up the decade pretty accurately.

Honorable mentions:
Shirobako, Kill la Kill, My Hero Academia, Sound Euphonium, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Angel Beats, Katanagatari, Kamisama Kiss, Penguindrum, Durarara.

Of course most of these aren't my personal favorites of the decade.

Last edited by zunderdog24 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Lets be honest here-
1. Fate/Series
2. Attack on Titan
3. Steins;Gate
4. Sword Art Online
5. One Punch Man
6. Love Live
7. Madoka Magica
8. Psycho-Pass
9. JoJo's
10. Monogatari Series
These anime sum up the decade pretty accurately.

Honorable mentions:
Shirobako, Kill la Kill, My Hero Academia, Sound Euphonium, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Angel Beats, Katanagatari, Kamisama Kiss, Penguindrum, Durarara.

Of course most of these aren't my personal favorites of the decade..

Sum it up how? If you mean a more objective list of the most important/influential shows of the decade rather than personal favorites I think it would look a bit different. It does seem kinda interesting to think about what anime had the biggest impact or influence on the industry each year. I'd say something like

2010 - Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
2011 - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
2012 - Sword Art Online
2013 - Attack on Titan
2014 - Shirobako
2015 - Osomatsu-san
2016 - Yuri!! on Ice
2017 - Your Name
2018 - ?
2019 - Demon Slayer

Oreimo, Madoka, and SAO defined clear trends and genres we saw tons of copycats from. Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, Yuri on Ice, and Your Game were super huge and popular and were everywhere at the time, even internationally. 2014 and 2015 might be debatable since those were the years I struggled to find something truly big and impact. I put Shirobako because it was popular and helped get a lot of people aware and interested in how anime production works and Osomatsu-san was big and I think defines the whole 'how to you remake an old property for modern audiences and make it not suck. 2018 is a toughie though. Honestly I can't think of a show that came out in 2018 that was truly influential and had a huge impact on the industry. Maybe Zero the Enforcer since it was the biggest film in Japan and pretty much everywhere in Japan at the time and will probably shape Conan's future endeavours.

SAO would probably be my show of the decade in terms of influence. Pretty much kickstarted the trend of isekai we're still seeing going into 2020 and definitely defined this decade for a lot of people. Knew a bunch of guys who got into anime from watching SAO.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
IMO there is no "objective" list - everything is your personal taste or your own perspective, unless you've done a massive amount of research and polling with a significant sample size. It's OK to just say "here's what meant the most to me, and here's what felt like it had the biggest impact on my social media bubble" - that's interesting too, to hear everyone's perspective - but without accompanying research and polling there's no way to make any sort of authoritative or definitive statement about any of this stuff.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

The only exception I'll concede is mecha. If you were a fan of that then this decade was dire.

How can you say that in a decade that includes Planet With and Promare? I'm not even a mecha fan and those both blew me completely away.

And aside from those, this decade saw Gundam (and UC-era Gundam in particular) make a major comeback and a new Macross (even if those shows lean harder and harder on the idol parts). I'll concede that it wasn't a great decade for original mecha series, as few managed to make much of a splash critically or sales-wise, and those that did manage weren't able to sustain it for long. Still, there was a lot more diversity and experimentation with ideas than in years past, and that bodes well for its future.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not ready to make my own anime of the decade list as I have some other stuff I want to finish up first but rather than mecha I do wish we had more shojo fantasy this decade. We had a few stuff like Snow White with the Red Hair and Yona of the Dawn (Magus Bride is actually a shonen manga). But even though we had more shojo this past decade I felt like most of it was more on the drama/comedy side and I hope next decade we'll see a return to more fantasy stuff like how we used to have anime like Magic Knight Rayearth and Fushigi Yugi etc.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see a few people mention From the New World Every where else I go it seems to have been collectively forgotten. Though I also loved Steins Gate for me From the New World was absolutely the best sci-fi series of the decade. I actually haven’t rewatched it in years but it’s still sticks in my mind how frightening it was but yet was still few of hope too. It reminds me of the best classic sci-fi novels.

Another series I personally really loved was Yona of the Dawn excellent reverse harem Shoujo fantasy with an amazing female lead. But I really loved the entire cast of characters and the close knit relationship the group forms. The manga is even better but I have to praise the anime for introducing me to the manga in the first place. This genre has kind of gone out of favor which is a shame because I think Yona of the Dawn is one of the best examples of it.

Another genre I’ve grown to love in anime is sports/games with great series this decade like Free! , Tsurune, Haikyuu and Yuri on Ice. But my personal favorite is Chihayafuru. Before this series I had never even heard of Karuta or the 100 Poems but I think the best series make you want to learn more. Because of Chihayafuru I actually visited Omi Jingu in Japan. I love the series shows you Karuta from so many different perspectives. The main characters are in High School but Karuta can be played by young and old, people who see it more as a sport and those who love the poetry of it.

As for favorite comedy it’s a genre that I am kind of picky about. Well humor is very subjective after all but one series that I really loved was Shirokuma Cafe. When I started watching this I expected it to only last a cour. Instead it lasted a year and I felt a terrible loss when it was over. It was just one of those series that made me
Incredibly happy and made me forget my troubles. I am still sad it’s never been licensed. But considering I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else mention it in their list of favorites I guess this is not that surprising. Honorable mention in this genre would be Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun

Finally if I have to pick my number one of the decade it would be Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Historical fiction, character study , melodrama, story of family, friendship, love and redemotion and also a story about an art form told over a span of the showa era. This is the type of series that comes around and makes me realize why I am still an anime fan after two decades.

Note my personal rules for this was the series had to start in 2010 and series that were sequels where the first series started in previous decades (such as Natsume Yuujinchou and Mushishi two long time favorites of mine) were ineligible.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

The only exception I'll concede is mecha. If you were a fan of that then this decade was dire.

I actually disagree with that one. We actually had a lot of decent mecha shows this decade. Most just went under the radar. We had things like Fafner Exodus, Gyrozetter, Shinkalion and Drive Head( all three of those being solid especially if you like shows more in tone with stuff like Eldoran and the Braves), GBF, the first season of Rinne, Aquarion Logos, M3 (like I'm not an Okada fan but M3 was great and yet it was never licensed for streaming at all outside of Daisuki's brief run), Pandora, MJP and the movie and Argevollen.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:

2018 is a toughie though. Honestly I can't think of a show that came out in 2018 that was truly influential and had a huge impact on the industry. Maybe Zero the Enforcer since it was the biggest film in Japan and pretty much everywhere in Japan at the time and will probably shape Conan's future endeavours.

Might I suggest Pop Team Epic for 2018, based on arguably the most meme-spawning manga of the decade? I don't know if it was the best anime of 2018 as I haven't really watched all that much from the past two years, but it is certainly one of the most distinctive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeySnow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
Started listening. Although I do wish there was a written list of the titles mentioned, I listen while driving so anything I’m not familiar with I wouldn’t mind remembering for later or to look up. I guess I could slowly scrub thru and check again.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:23 am Reply with quote
^
Check out page 2 of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeySnow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
^
Check out page 2 of this thread.

Ah I missed it, thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4