• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1st All-New Pokémon Anime Film in 2 Years to Open on July 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So yeah, it’s a bit loaded for ANN to headline that it’ll be two years at the point of release since as of right now that’s a reference to something that still occurred just last year. Not really a big enough deal to headline and so why would you?

Keep in mind that this is how the Japanese news sources are also phrasing their headlines:

https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/359249

I mean it applies to all news outlets tbh.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
Not sure what you guys are talking about, I watched both I Choose You and Power of Us recently and both were absolutely terrible. I mean really every Pokemon movie is terrible.
I think Pokemon The Movie 3, Jirachi Wish Maker, and Lucario are some of the best of the Pokemon anime movies and I still like the first two out of nostalgia. The movies mainly seem like a chance for the animators to show off their sakuga skills.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Where the heck is the dub for Mewtwo Evolution? It makes no sense why there has been no release at this point...Why is it taking so long?

Probably Disney. They snatched the show and have no idea how to handle it, just like in Europe when they had the rights to it since season 10 (!) and wasn't even showing it in several territories. Several countries have access to the show only through Netflix where they add the movies every year on January 1st, except the next one is The Power of Us. So, worst case scenario, you'll wait with us for a year more even though the dubs are done already.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

Probably Disney. They snatched the show and have no idea how to handle it, just like in Europe when they had the rights to it since season 10 (!) and wasn't even showing it in several territories. Several countries have access to the show only through Netflix where they add the movies every year on January 1st, except the next one is The Power of Us. So, worst case scenario, you'll wait with us for a year more even though the dubs are done already.
The licensing is controlled by TPCI and Disney only really has broadcasting rights. They released the last two movies the same year as Japan with no issues in spite of Pokemon being on Disney X D for some time by then.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This is not what I said. Disney has the rights to air it, just chooses not to. TPCI can't sell it to any other TV station as long as Disney has the license.

They can probably put it on pokemon.com but this doesn't seem like it brings them much of a revenue.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
This is not what I said. Disney has the rights to air it, just chooses not to. TPCI can't sell it to any other TV station as long as Disney has the license.

They can probably put it on pokemon.com but this doesn't seem like it brings them much of a revenue.

Or it could air on the regular Disney Channel, where it would have more viewers. Disney seems to treat its anime programming like a stray dog (which is probably one of the reasons why Yo-kai Watch was such a disaster in the US). That’s intolerable when it comes to Pokémon, especially considering that it’s the highest grossing media franchise of all time. I mean, Sword and Shield sold a combined total of 6 million copies for God’s sake!!!

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
At least the Pokemon anime is in better hands on Disney X D than it did on Cartoon Network.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

Disney aired the last two movies without issue so I don’t really see why they would suddenly skip out on the Mewtwo one. I’m also not understanding how Disney can prevent TPCI giving it a limited theatrical release or a home video release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2