• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll's 4th Annual Anime Awards Set for February 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh no
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Still feels weird that a company so involved is hosting the awards. Conflict of interest Smile. "this show won [award]! Watch it on our site!"
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Demon Slayer or Dr. Stone to take over most of the awards, watch. Though at least Demon Slayer animation wise will be an actual believable win vs some more wonkier shows that have been there.

TeamSarazanmai for some awards, I guess Stars Align though it has some issues with handling its large cast in so few episodes.

And TeamFireForceBorutoBLackClover

Given for my anime of the year.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Time to see people go apeshit over a popularity contest again.

Last edited by Scion Drake on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Pesos to churros BnHA is winning again
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The categories are still wonky af.
Maybe the best idea would be to change all the categories to honor the people behind the work, so people that have no idea would stop creating a popularity contest instead of a quality contest.
Instead of 'best boy/girl' which are bad in so many ways (at least they could make it 'best female/male character') make it 'best character designer' or 'best character writer' and make it not clear for what show a name stands for. So people that want to vote would at least have to research a name if they want to vote for their favorite show instead of the quality of the content.
VoidSeeker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Time to see people go apeshit over a fan-event again.

>fan-event
>Crunchyroll
Yeah right. It obviously isn't a popularity circlejerk event with literal who's to promote their garbage service.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
VoidSeeker wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

>fan-event
>Crunchyroll
Yeah right. It obviously isn't a popularity circlejerk event with literal who's to promote their garbage service.

Heh, Ya know they don’t really need to try to promote when there are good people like you willing to spread the news for free.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
VoidSeeker wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

>fan-event
>Crunchyroll

Heh, Ya know they don’t really need to try to promote when there are good people like you willing to spread the news for free.

Yea cause this comment section is where people go to for news.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Every award ceremony is a popularity contest including the Oscars. But last year’s anime of the year was Devilman Crybaby which was a Netflix show and the year before that was Made in Abyss which was Amazon. Even My Hero Academia is a Funimation license. So the notion Crunchyroll has a conflict of interest is not backed up by the evidence.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
I hope they keep Best OP/ED and Best VA Performance, those were my favorite categories and something I could easily vote on without actually having watched the anime Razz
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
judges' votes are weighted 70/30 to influence the eventual winners

Sorry but I'm a bit confused by this wording. Does this mean that the judges' votes weigh 70% and the audience votes 30%, or vice versa?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Still feels weird that a company so involved is hosting the awards. Conflict of interest Smile. "this show won [award]! Watch it on our site!"

All award shows are publicity stunts, just some more blatant than others. Razz I never actually watched the Crunchyroll awards before, but do they play ads/announcements at it? I mean, people like to rag on the Oscars and stuff, but at least those aren't like the Game Awards where company CEOs come out and run promos for their upcoming games. It's like if James Cameron walked out on stage at the Oscars and plays the trailer for his upcoming film and talked about it for ten minutes. That's just advertising that that point Laughing

But just looking at last years nominees, I wouldn't say there's a conflict of interest so much as there's obviously judges pushing for specific shows and characters to get recognized that clearly don't reflect the actual anime fandom. But that's just the name of the game for these things really.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
But just looking at last years nominees, I wouldn't say there's a conflict of interest so much as there's obviously judges pushing for specific shows and characters to get recognized that clearly don't reflect the actual anime fandom.

What's the alternative, though? If we let the judges pick, everyone complains that they're biased. If the audience has more say, everyone complains that it's a popularity contest.

Thing is, neither of those complaints are wrong... there isn't any practical way to take the output of a whole industry or subculture or whatever and decide which ones had the Best This or Best That. It's hard enough to run something like the Nobel Prizes, where there's far too many options but at least there are tangible reasons why some might matter more than others. When the criteria are all 100% subjective, there can't really be a "right" answer in most cases. But we want this sort of thing to be possible so badly that we keep trying to make it happen... and, well, the inevitable arguments only create more publicity. There's a reason a large portion of Youtube is just top-ten videos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1