• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's Next Film Is 15% Complete After 3.5 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
kikuzinho wrote:
Love his movies but his attitude has always been awful. He is only holding the studio back at this point. He needs to retire so the rest of the studio staff members decide what to do with the studio company.

Weird argument, since Ghibli was pretty much established to produce Miyazaki's movies.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Steamboy (anime movie) took 10 years to make.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
[Wintersun joke here]
Spooky Blades wrote:
whats the freaking point of watching a movie that will be out in 2030 and was announced 3 years ago? :/

It's not like waiting longer to watch a film neutralizes the experience, as long as you're still alive with functioning mind and senses when it comes out.

Aoki Uru was announced in 1992 and is currently scheduled for 2022 - don't count on it. But if it ever does come out, sure, I'll watch it. anime#16599
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Steamboy (anime movie) took 10 years to make.

And it bombed at the box office.

Another animated feature film that also took a decade to produce was Disney's The Black Cauldron. That too bombed. And almost took Disney with it...
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The absolute mad lad going at his own pace.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The late Isao Takahata's "Tale of The Princess Kaguya" took eight years, ran over budget, and reportedly was only completed at all because he wasn't allowed to keep doing it at his own pace.

https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/zmxma5/why-weve-been-waiting-eight-years-for-the-new-studio-ghibli-film
Quote:
Five years into the project, the Studio Ghibli team only had 30 minutes of storyboard. The problem, according to Nishimura was the director, who if he had it all his way would keep production going well into the 2020s. So the studio decided to release the film simultaneously in Japan with fellow Studio Ghibli founder Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises in 2013; a move that stirred Takahata into action.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studio-ghibli-may-have-made-723068
Quote:
The animation powerhouse's current head says it is considering the end of movie productions following the retirement of Hayao Miyazaki and the underperformance of its latest releases. (...) The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Takahata's production swansong, reportedly did not cover its production budget after its release in December.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/03/16/isao-takahatas-the-tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-gets-182-tv-rating
Quote:
After spending eight years and over five billion yen budget, the film was finally released in Japan on November 23, 2013. Unfortunately, it became a box office failure earning only 2.47 billion yen in the Japanese box office (still, it was much better than his previous film in 1999, My Neighbors The Yamadas with 820 million yen).

So anyway I'll just go order some Love Live blurays right now

PUT OUT A NAUSICAA FIGMA YOU HACKS with dress from the end of the movie onegaishimasu
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
For many people retirement is a physical death. If you have been working your entire life, not having anything to do anymore is a death sentence. You have to have a plan to keep almost just as active, doing something you like, and nothing too stressful.

It is nice they are letting him continue work, because that will probably keep him alive for much longer.

Something has to fill the gap, that retirement brings. Pottering around the garden or the garage or going on long vacations is not it.

Yes, everyone is different, but I have seen too many people my age and older fade away fast once they retire. A new equilibrium must be created.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Suzuki acknowledged that some have labeled Miyazaki's upcoming film as his last. However, Suzuki said, "I don't believe it. As long as he lives, [Miyazaki] will probably continue to make films."

Considering the extrapolated completion date, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Sad to think about, but within reason (e.g. it would seem counterproductive to micromanage the first X minutes of animation but leave the rest entirely to somebody else), why not let him make his potentially final film in the way he wants? I'm interested to see the result.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
lucio542 wrote:
Don't saying that will happen ( and i really don't want) but he knows that he have already almost 80?....If It take so much he can really die in half of the way.

He is 78. Assuming the pace stays like this and doesn't pick up, he'll be ~98 by the time this is finished...

I worked out the very rough math and you're not that far off. At this pace, the film will be done in approx 21 years give or take. If he's still alive at that point, he'll be sitting right on the border of turning 100 (99 years old specifically). Most current (youngish) anime fans would be in their 40's and 50's by that time. This is kinda insane. Are we sure he hasn't gone senile by thinking this is going to work out?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2