• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens Anime Reveals April 2020 Debut, Staff, Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am Reply with quote
Holy cow, the art for this is GOD AWFUL.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
That being said, goodness, are we gonna embrace another debate that is basically Pokémon Sun and Moon 2.0?

Studio/staff change, huge art downgrade, focus on a more younger audience... yeah, Sevens is definitely the Sun and Moon of Yu-Gi-Oh. That's really unfortunate Laughing I mean, I know VRAINS wasn't that well received, but this is just monkey paw territory of regretting your wish of something different. I think I'll enjoy the Shadowverse anime more than this.

1dbad wrote:
I will say though, I feel ZeXal did a better job of targeting a younger audience while still feeling distinctly Yugioh.

Zexal was generally noted for being the title with the most fanservice/violence/dark themes since the original Duel Monsters which was why it was so popular. Never came off as "targetting a younger audience" to me. If any series besides this would be called that, I'd go for ARC-V.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:05 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Zexal was generally noted for being the title with the most fanservice/violence/dark themes since the original Duel Monsters which was why it was so popular. Never came off as "targetting a younger audience" to me. If any series besides this would be called that, I'd go for ARC-V.

Zexal did get dark, but I wouldn't say it was anymore full of fanservice/violence/dark themes than early 5D's or late GX were. Reason I mentioned the younger audience is Yuma and co were the youngest protagonists at the time, being middle schoolers compared to the high school-adult age DM-5D's protagonists. Yuma being a noob at the card game also felt like a marketing ploy to help ease kids new to Yugioh into the game.
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
Everyone's talking about the art....what about the MC's name? Doesn't "Yuga Odo" sound suspiciously like "Yugi Mouto"? And Gakuto,with the exception of the hair,looks a little bit familiar too (think Season 0 of the original series).
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So all the theories it would be a reboot, a crossover, or have a female protag have just been thrown out the window. I’ll still likely watch it but I won’t lie that this feels kind of anticlimactic after how much they hyped this for the anniversary of Yugioh. I’m also confused that it’s no longer being made by Studio Gallop? Vrains wasn’t that bad was it?

VRAINS as an actual show was fine, in my opinion. A step up from ARC-V. But it had numerous production issues which has plagued the franchise for years now. I don't know the actual budgeting numbers but it seems like Zexal was the budgeting peak. It had really nice animation, the best of the franchise in my opinion. After that there was a steady decline. People attribute the budgeting issues of ARC-V to them focusing more on Dark Side of Dimensions at the time, and maybe that's true. But VRAINS had numerous clip show episodes, sometimes 2 in the same cour. It also ended up having to end earlier than previous series for whatever reason. YGO series usually end in April when the next series starts, VRAINS ended this September. 7 months. Not a good sign. I'm not entirely sure why it had issues since the card game still sells well, but perhaps it was an issue with Studio Gallop, or perhaps TV Tokyo, and a new studio is also a result of that. Now that I think about it towards the end Zexal did shift timeslots. That might have been a factor as well.

The art style is a biggest disappointment to me for this series. It was great how every new series emulated Kazuki Takahashi's artstyle, even the later series and characters he didn't design. This basically abandons that and makes it look more like Buddyfight or Battle Spirits and doesn't fit in with the previous YGO protagonists. The Rush Duels are lame, but it's not surprising given how successful Duel Links is.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
The comparison to Sun & Moon is superficial at best as once you got used to the art style change, Sun & Moon actually had good fluid and expressive animation and was a conscious effort to allow the animators to experiment with different styles and it paid off well but I still don't understand the hatred for Sun & Moon. This seems like an effort to rebrand the series after Vrains' mixed reception. In theory I'm not opposed to an art style change or even with an art style that appeals to a younger audience. Appmon also was deceptive at first with it's younger looking art style but it ended up being one of the darkest seasons of Digimon and possibly as dark as Tamers if not slightly more so. I personally enjoyed Vrains up until about the third season where they started rushing through the story and dropping plot lines though there were still things about season three that I liked. For me I was hoping an anniversary series would be something that would celebrate the franchise as a whole. If not a reboot which was always a stretch, maybe a crossover series with the various lead characters teaming up, which the ending to Vrains honestly did seem to be hinting at with the revelation that spoiler[Link Vrains was now connected to different worlds and Yusaku's disappearance]. So far I feel like I don't know enough about Sevens' plot to make any real judgments about Sevens. But I also wonder if this is an effort to make Yugioh more appealing to kid friendly international audiences after the Vrains dub failed to find a US broadcast.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
The character designs look okay.
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
For me I was hoping an anniversary series would be something that would celebrate the franchise as a whole. If not a reboot which was always a stretch, maybe a crossover series with the various lead characters teaming up, which the ending to Vrains honestly did seem to be hinting at with the revelation that spoiler[Link Vrains was now connected to different worlds and Yusaku's disappearance].

I'm not sure what to think about this,personally. My assumption is that Yugi's usefulness as the face of the series (despite his name being in the title) is now null and void. It wasn't always about a card game but rather the (at times rather violent) life of a lonely high schooler who loved games in general. But alas,since the card game proved to be more profitable,the focus shifted to that. Furthermore,why continue to call it "Yu-Gi-Oh!" now that they're no longer using Yugi as the main character? Shouldn't they just call it "Duel Monsters" from now on to make things less confusing?
Namu12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
It seems they are targeting younger audience this time. I'm not interested this time also. Design doesn't look outstanding, especially the red/yellow hair of main character.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I think one thing to take into account is how anime can be misleading with character designs. Like Appmon had very cutesy character designs that turned people off at first but it ended up being one of the darkest seasons of Digimon. We still don’t know a lot about the plot so this could still turn out to be interesting depending on the plot is about and we should know from anime not to judge based on the cover.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Definitely seems like it's skewing younger compared to past entries in the franchise.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
wingweaver84 wrote:
I'm not sure what to think about this,personally. My assumption is that Yugi's usefulness as the face of the series (despite his name being in the title) is now null and void. It wasn't always about a card game but rather the (at times rather violent) life of a lonely high schooler who loved games in general. But alas,since the card game proved to be more profitable,the focus shifted to that. Furthermore,why continue to call it "Yu-Gi-Oh!" now that they're no longer using Yugi as the main character? Shouldn't they just call it "Duel Monsters" from now on to make things less confusing?

Yu-Gi-Oh translates to Game King. And every protagonist has Yu in their name so the theme still fits.

And Yugi stopped being the face of the franchise back in 2005 when Judai replaced him on the booster boxes. It's a bit late to wonder about that.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

VRAINS as an actual show was fine, in my opinion. A step up from ARC-V. But it had numerous production issues which has plagued the franchise for years now. I don't know the actual budgeting numbers but it seems like Zexal was the budgeting peak. It had really nice animation, the best of the franchise in my opinion. After that there was a steady decline. People attribute the budgeting issues of ARC-V to them focusing more on Dark Side of Dimensions at the time, and maybe that's true. But VRAINS had numerous clip show episodes, sometimes 2 in the same cour. It also ended up having to end earlier than previous series for whatever reason. YGO series usually end in April when the next series starts, VRAINS ended this September. 7 months. Not a good sign. I'm not entirely sure why it had issues since the card game still sells well, but perhaps it was an issue with Studio Gallop, or perhaps TV Tokyo, and a new studio is also a result of that. Now that I think about it towards the end Zexal did shift timeslots. That might have been a factor as well.

The art style is a biggest disappointment to me for this series. It was great how every new series emulated Kazuki Takahashi's artstyle, even the later series and characters he didn't design. This basically abandons that and makes it look more like Buddyfight or Battle Spirits and doesn't fit in with the previous YGO protagonists. The Rush Duels are lame, but it's not surprising given how successful Duel Links is.

This is what really worries me. The production quality of yugioh has been in a downward spiral since Zexal ended.The preview animation in the video is really lackluster, with heavy abuse of cg and very little of the dynamism of motion that makes yugioh card games so much fun to watch. I'll give it a chance (after my early impressions of Zexal were pretty far off from how great it ended up being, and even Vrains managed to pull itself together by the end), but my expectations are pretty much rock bottom.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Recently Duel Masters took over as the #1 card game in Japan, knocking Yu-Gi-Oh down to the #2 slot. This new direction could be a result of that to emulate how the Duel Masters anime targets a younger audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2