• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken Manga Gets New Anime Adaptation in Fall 2020 (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, the manga had some serious pacing issues, and the Emblem of Roto had a more interesting story, but I'm still sooo gonna watch this.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Curious if whoever picks this up will use the Dragon Quest series localization or not.

I hope not, DQ localization is terrible. But if they do that's why fansubs exist.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
IIRC, the manga had some serious pacing issues, and the Emblem of Roto had a more interesting story, but I'm still sooo gonna watch this.
Not at all. The manga may have been a little underwhelming (or more than underwhelming, a little too classical in its first quarter (the one that has been adapted in the early 90's, but by the the 10th/11th volume, it had reached its cruise speed, and worked very well. Compared to a LOT of more recent mangas, it was very good. Most characters had good character development. Even the love... pentagon? hexagon... I don't remember really well was enjoyable and achieved to avoid a lot of cliché. It's clear that if your only knowledge of the series is the anime... well, I totally understand your point. But if it's the origial manga, and don't know what you're talking about. It might not be Yu Yu Hakusho lvl, but it's still a close second/third in term of shonen of the 90's.
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The original 1991 anime's 45 episodes covered the first 87 chapters in the manga. Episode 46 had an anime only ending. The rest of the story (chapters 88-349) is manga only. The anime stopped midway through the Baran arc. It didn't get a chance to show the Dragon Riders and the final battle with Baran.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2