• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Cancels Release of 7 Bonus Osamu Tezuka Manga Originally Announced with Wonder 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
Example of a small company doing too much too fast. Not surprised kick-started from 2017 are still not even being worked on. Things like these are why people are wary of even backing projects. Better to just wait til things are on sale versus waiting upwards of 3 years.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:03 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Example of a small company doing too much too fast. Not surprised kick-started from 2017 are still not even being worked on. Things like these are why people are wary of even backing projects. Better to just wait til things are on sale versus waiting upwards of 3 years.

They've been in operation/non-operation since 1996. The issues are far deeper than just going too fast...
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Woooow, seriously? I am at a loss for words on this (being one of the backers). I mean, sure I'm getting something, but am I even going to get a refund? The bank account I would've used during that Kickstarter no longer exists (because Bank of America can suck it), so how are they going to refund people like me?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Woooow, seriously? I am at a loss for words on this (being one of the backers). I mean, sure I'm getting something, but am I even going to get a refund? The bank account I would've used during that Kickstarter no longer exists (because Bank of America can suck it), so how are they going to refund people like me?

Store credit.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
zawa113 wrote:

Store credit.

I figured that was simply an option, I don't really want DMP store credit, nor should I be forced into it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Can you say, "scam", people? That's what it sounds like to me.

Either way, why should I trust the company that tried to license Kodomo no Jikan (a series that scrapes the bottom of the toilet bowl of the manga/anime world) in English?
Mewzard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It's really sad as I've backed many of Digital Manga's Tezuka Kickstarters and they always delivered on those before this one. Damn shame as I was looking forward to adding all of these titles to my massive Tezuka shelf. Still, glad I'm at least getting my copy of Wonder 3.

And I did still get the digital versions of all of them, so when the mood hits I can read them. I just like having them all physically.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
I’m still waiting on my Kodomo no Jikan and Psycho Delico books.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Either way, why should I trust the company that tried to license Kodomo no Jikan (a series that scrapes the bottom of the toilet bowl of the manga/anime world) in English?

Have you read the series? Because, while on the surface it looks like another ecchi title featuring 10 year olds, there is a lot more to it. The main character, Rin, acts the way she does because she's being groomed by her adopted father. spoiler[Her mom died when she was really young and her father nor any of his relatives want nothing to do with her. The man who is raising her is doing so because he had the hots for her mom and thinks that Rin will be her clone when she turns 16. Rin's teacher is the only one looking out for her welfare and consistently speaks up on her behalf, particularly when the creepy principal tries to rape Rin.]

Was there questionable content that I did not like? Yes. I hated what happened to Mimi because she goes from neglectful parents to predatory relationship, not to mention Rin's ending pandering to its principle fanbase. But I think it acknowledged some of the social problems that children deal with in Japan, such as what can happen to children who are neglected not only by their relatives but by those who should be advocating for their welfare.

Regarding this article, the backers have to be ticked. I'm still waiting for my rewards from KnJ and Delico, and they're trying to cut back on what they promised as rewards. Honestly think I won't see these books until I retire.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Have you read the series? Because, while on the surface it looks like another ecchi title featuring 10 year olds, there is a lot more to it. The main character, Rin, acts the way she does because she's being groomed by her adopted father. spoiler[Her mom died when she was really young and her father nor any of his relatives want nothing to do with her. The man who is raising her is doing so because he had the hots for her mom and thinks that Rin will be her clone when she turns 16. Rin's teacher is the only one looking out for her welfare and consistently speaks up on her behalf, particularly when the creepy principal tries to rape Rin.]

Was there questionable content that I did not like? Yes. I hated what happened to Mimi because she goes from neglectful parents to predatory relationship, not to mention Rin's ending pandering to its principle fanbase. But I think it acknowledged some of the social problems that children deal with in Japan, such as what can happen to children who are neglected not only by their relatives but by those who should be advocating for their welfare.

Regarding this article, the backers have to be ticked. I'm still waiting for my rewards from KnJ and Delico, and they're trying to cut back on what they promised as rewards. Honestly think I won't see these books until I retire.

I've always had zero interest in it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I've always had zero interest in it.

For having zero interest in it, you sure like to make assumptions about it Rolling Eyes ...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
I actually read what it was like (someone's review and on Wikipedia) and what I read disgusted me and turned me off. What, I can't be allowed to dislike something based on first impressions?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1