• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime Of 2019

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Nosferatox wrote:
I mean no matter how you look at it there were better written shows this year. Demon Slayer is a by the book shonen with a basic premise and mostly predictable plot and great visuals, nothing wrong with that though. However Mob Psycho S2 had even crazier production values, episode 5 and 11 easily beat episode 19 of Demon Slayer. (and before you say anything go to sakugabooru, compare the entries of both shows and prove yourself wrong, even mundane actions were animated by some of industry's best animators) Yes, Demon Slayer was indeed a phenomenon, but so was DBS, so I don't think you should take that into account. But to each their own.

A show is more than just being able to count keyframes and knowing the names of the animators who did a certain segment. I really dislike this recent trend of sakugablog being some authoritative source people use to 'prove' a show is good or better than another more popular, well regarded show. Saw this with Sun & Moon as well.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
Since Best Moments are a thing this year apparently and keeping my previous disclaimer, I think the sequence of Rising of the Shield Hero Ep21 where Naofumi struggles with forgiveness for Malty/Myne and the King was it. So often, stories follow popular sentiments and easy resolutions but few take the harder less popular road of asking whether someone really deserves what their actions seem to have so richly deserved and answer NO. Forgiveness without accepting compensation, requiring "no" condition and acting to save possibly unrepentant enemies is a rare resolution indeed but is the seed for a better person.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
So I just voted. I ended up with a Top 4 as Eiga no Osomatsu-san wasn´t on the docket and I don´t vote for entries below a “good” score. That was a 2019 film. I still have to see either Lupin film. Those are equally missing. The same goes for the 2 Rohan OVAs. Rohan would have made the list if I saw them. JoJo Part 5 lastly started in 2018 and ran though so I get why it wasn´t on the list.

1) Vinland Saga - 9/10 Anime of the year. A follow-up would be even better. Stuff like this is why I love anime/manga.

2) Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These II - 8,5/10 Not the 80s OVA but what is. I can´t see how these work as a film trilogy though.

3) Attack on Titan season 3, part 2 - 8,5/10 No 2 and 3 are interchangeable. WIT strikes again. The next season should rank fairly high on my list but the blowback will be severe.

“3,5”) Eiga no Osomatsu - 7,5/10 Overstays the it´s all a dream premise but this is a good way to leave the boys for now.

4) Ultraman - 7,5/10 A hurried improvement on the middle of the road manga. A rare Japanese superhero anime I actually like. This is the power of a good director you all.

Dororo started to run out of steam after the 1st act and collapsed by the end. The also missing Beastars gets “good” next season and may chart.

The year´s top 3 is quite strong and the movie/OVA scene was another wasteland. Not that OVAs even exist anymore outside of like DC comics films. Lol. The year´s middling shows are lastly solidly done (MHA, etc) but offer me little as I watched anime since the mid-90s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
timber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
I had no real difficulty to choose this year because their where not good shows this year. So my short list is:

1) Kono Oto Tomare!

I already like the first season, because I already liked the characters even though the Koto instrument sounded boring, but season 2 only got better culminating with episode 25 and for once a really pleasant Koto performance (I re-watched the episode 5 times in a row).

2) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Good enough story and characters (even if it's a little bit on the kiddy side), superb animation.

3) Isekai Quartet

Can't get enough of this chibi mini-series with the characters fro 4 different isekai series mixing in yet another world and all the in-jokes that come with their interactions.

4) Ascendance of a Bookworm

Interesting worldbuilding, nice characters.

5) Vinland Saga

Superb animation, the story is ok but I just can't get attached to the main character and now they have just killed the more interesting character.

For the rest, I had some difficulty to come up with above average stuff:

A) Saga of Tanya the Evil movie

The only movie I saw this year, should definitely be in my top 5 but it wasn't in the poll, did it come out in 2018 ?

B) Carole & Tuesday

Not uninteresting but I found the story somewhat lacking and most of the songs were not my cup of tea though I liked 'The loneliest girl in the world' and the show's finale.

C) Levius

Not a bad show to follow with some nicely developed characters but the world building is a little sketchy and for the "villain" of the series my reaction was wtf?

D) The Demon Girl Next Door

Quite amusing at times.

E) Dr. Stone

Should be a very good show for little kids, with an original "scientific" hero.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 am Reply with quote
There weren't a lot of series that I got hooked on this year and saw to the end, but there were a few that stuck out for me:

Carole & Tuesday: Great animation, amazing music, and likeable characters.

Mob Psycho Season 2: Took everything that made season 1 great and amped it up to 11.

Fruits Basket: I loved the first series and this one is really doing a lot right so far.

Ascension of a Bookworm: Amazingly relaxed and wholesome but still with high stakes that keep you invested. I love the characters and can't wait for the next season in spring. Probably my anime of the year (hard to say for sure since it's still so fresh).

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Given. Another engaging show with great characters and an amazing emotional payoff.
Nosferatox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Nosferatox wrote:
I mean no matter how you look at it there were better written shows this year. Demon Slayer is a by the book shonen with a basic premise and mostly predictable plot and great visuals, nothing wrong with that though. However Mob Psycho S2 had even crazier production values, episode 5 and 11 easily beat episode 19 of Demon Slayer. (and before you say anything go to sakugabooru, compare the entries of both shows and prove yourself wrong, even mundane actions were animated by some of industry's best animators) Yes, Demon Slayer was indeed a phenomenon, but so was DBS, so I don't think you should take that into account. But to each their own.

A show is more than just being able to count keyframes and knowing the names of the animators who did a certain segment. I really dislike this recent trend of sakugablog being some authoritative source people use to 'prove' a show is good or better than another more popular, well regarded show. Saw this with Sun & Moon as well.

Please show the exact line where I said otherwise? If I only cared about the visuals I would be watching Fate Babylonia. You totally missed the point and are basically talking to a wall now. People claimed Demon Slayer is the best animated show and nothing comes close, all I said is that there were shows that were as well animated or even surpassed it. (also absolutely no animation enthusiast counts keyframes)

Last edited by Nosferatox on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I would say 2019 has been a fantastic year for my anime viewing i certainly came across a few titles that were better hits than i expected if i had to name my top 5 they would be:

Alphabetically

Ascension of a Bookworm

Dorororo

Dr.Stone

The Rise of the Shield Hero

Welcome to Demon School-Iruma-kun

It has been a fun decade of anime and i look forward to what comes next, here is to hoping for more awesomeness
michizure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Since there's no discussion forum for the Best of 2019 Mega Poll, and no option to add names to the list:

This a write-in vote for Endro~! .

Considering that in the Winter 2019 viewer's poll it finished above Kemurikusa, Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, Domestic Girlfriend, The Price of Smiles, and Girly Air Force, all of which made the list, I trust this was an oversight.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Since there's no discussion forum for the Best of 2019 Mega Poll. . .

See this thread.

EDIT: And for those of you who might be interested, 5ch's denizens have voted the following top 5:

1: Demon Girl Next Door
2: Hi Score Girl II
3: Demon Slayer
4: Attack on Titan s3 p2
5: Kaguya-sama: Love is War
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 of 2019:

1. Mob Psycho 100 (Season 2)
2. Fruits Basket (2019 remake)
3. Given
4. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. Sarazanmai

Looking forward to seeing what 2020 has to offer!
michizure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Awesome, thanks.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
3. Dororo
2. Fruits Basket
1. Vinland Saga

Honorable Mentions: The Promised Neverland, Dr. Stone, The Demon Girl Next Door, Wasteful Days of High School Girls, and Teasing Master Takagi-san 2
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Is there a shortcut to access part 3 of this feature, with Mike Toole's, Nick Creamer's and Lynzee Loveridge's picks? The link provided by main article is broken.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Is there a shortcut to access part 3 of this feature, with Mike Toole's, Nick Creamer's and Lynzee Loveridge's picks? The link provided by main article is broken.

It's fixed now - thanks!
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
1) Attack on Titan S3 Part 2, though I understand why most people leave it behind - it's still a sequel and AoT's story is better read and/or seen as a whole. I truly envy the people in the future who will go into the completed version of the anime totally in the dark.

Favorite moment: spoiler[The choice between Erwin and Armin. ]

2) Demon Slayer / Kimetsu No Yaiba. Yes it is generic shounen but it's so beautifully animated with such a likable protagonist, plus I had a soft spot for the manga long before the anime came up and it definitely is better suited to my shounen tastes than stuff like My Hero Academia.

Favorite moment: The battle animation and choreography of episode 19.

3) The Promised Neverland. I would have appreciated the anime more if I hadn't read the manga, but still I understand that it must have been an awesome experience for the anime watchers.

Favorite moment: spoiler[Emma crossing the bridge and leaving Isabella behind.]

4) Beastars. It was so good and it just keeps getting better and better.

Favorite moment: spoiler[Louis killing the lion yakuza boss.]

5) Vinland Saga. Mildly disappointing compared to the manga since this part of the story didn't require 24 episodes, truly, but still the love Wit Studio put into it was apparent.

Favorite moment: The entire village spoiler[massacre] episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13