• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Reveals Results of 'Decade of Anime' Fan Polls

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:50 am Reply with quote
Aside from Happy from fairy fail these results are actually pretty great. Pleasantly surprised.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Where's HAND SHAKERS

LOL

But seriously, even with the Mega Poll, picking 5 anime is just too hard especially considering the sheer amount of anime compared to previous years
Kai Kawasumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I would see the day so soon where The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya had been forgotten about within the community. The director died this year too, so I was hoping for him to get a little bigger of a spotlight put on his previous work, oh well. Opinions are opinions but it sure is surprising to see. #InKyoAniWeTrust
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Impressively bad list.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I guess because the way they're presented it's reinforcing the misconception that shounen and shoujo are genres rather than just age demographics. From the looks of it, 'best shounen' seems to just mean 'best action/adventure show', since there's no actual action show category and everything under it is action/adventure.
I think my one nitpick here is that even taking a more loose definition of shojo and shonen into account, I wouldn't really classify Madoka as a shojo. Madoka aired late night in Japan and the manga adaptations were published by a manga company that focuses on seinen manga. While Madoka does have a large female fanbase, it's primarily targeted at male otaku.

As for the poll itself, even though I wouldn't agree with all the choices, I have to agree it's actually a pretty decent list of what all the most popular shows are and there's a lot more variety here than what's in the raw Crunchyroll streaming numbers like Fruits Basket, Haikyuu, and Your Lie In April while the raw Crunchyroll streaming numbers is literally nothing but shonen action stuff. And aside from two shows that aren't bad choices for their categories, there's actually not that much recency bias in these poll results.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
Yah, I saw the poll, then the categories adn was like; "there is no way that madoka is winning anything regardless of what category they put it in".
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice seeing Death Parade somewhere, sad not to see SNAFU anywehere... then again if it was released recently it would probably be a solid pick or runner-up
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2