• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best LGBTQ+ Characters of 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
motokokusanagi002 wrote:
Reading this thread, since when has Ho Yay been LGBT characterization? Its intended as between the lines and usually as fanservice.

Japan doesn't dwell on these subjects because they dont have problems with identity politics, either with a GLBT movement or a religious right, which speaks as the majority, but obviously issn't.

That's patently false.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-08-02/speak-out-japan-lgbtq-community-responds-to-politician-sugita-discriminatory-statements/.134642
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
motokokusanagi002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
motokokusanagi002 wrote:
Reading this thread, since when has Ho Yay been LGBT characterization? Its intended as between the lines and usually as fanservice.

Japan doesn't dwell on these subjects because they dont have problems with identity politics, either with a GLBT movement or a religious right, which speaks as the majority, but obviously issn't.

That's patently false.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-08-02/speak-out-japan-lgbtq-community-responds-to-politician-sugita-discriminatory-statements/.134642

There is still not the outspoken-ness you see in the West, and approaches can be very different ie. the preference or the medicalization of gender dysphoria, a short while ago. It is, of course, good that different societies have their different attitudes. You will notice in the article, that Sugita does not mention rubbish such as "sin", preferring to raise issues of demography. They just don't have a strong taboo against it despite Buddhism frowning on homosexual acts, over there even high profile right wingers like Yukio Mishima, lose no credibility for homosexuality. (If you want to go cross-cultural, then this has happened in Europe and GB - but it involved a cultural shift, in this case.)

Given that homophobic tirades often do dwell upon the supposed suicidal nature of LGBT people, and it is one of the few negative stereotypes in JP, it is scarcely hateful that Sugita dismissed concerns about the high suicide rates among the LGBTQ community.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
It's not a "preference" for medical transition; it's legally required. If you're married, you're required to divorce and then there's the required sterilization. It might not be rooted in Christian values, but it's hardly a cakewalk for LGBT folks there and there's plenty of information about the legal fights and awareness being done at rallies and in politics.

Masking discrimination in the ability to reproduce IS just as awful as basing it on God's word or any other reason. One is not more reasonable than the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
motokokusanagi002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
It's not a "preference" for medical transition; it's legally required. If you're married, you're required to divorce and then there's the required sterilization. It might not be rooted in Christian values, but it's hardly a cakewalk for LGBT folks there and there's plenty of information about the legal fights and awareness being done at rallies and in politics.

Masking discrimination in the ability to reproduce IS just as awful as basing it on God's word or any other reason. One is not more reasonable than the other.

That is one opinion: speaking to gay and GID people from Japan, they don't find it as objectionable as Western activists seem to. This goes back to the infamous Blue Boy ruling, which itself was a demonstration that transsexuals were of sound mind and body in Japanese culture: it was permissable to sterilise the insane, but not people of a healthy mind and body. Doubtless the Japanese were thinking of onnagata and such, their attitudes shaped further by a Shinto aversion to bodily modification, later on still to be influenced by gender duality - a problem for LGBTs in the US, is they are seen as subverting norms. My point is, that societies have their own frames, how they deal with things, that shape opinion more than the local versions of ideologies.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
motokokusanagi002 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

That is one opinion: speaking to gay and GID people from Japan, they don't find it as objectionable as Western activists seem to. This goes back to the infamous Blue Boy ruling, which itself was a demonstration that transsexuals were of sound mind and body in Japanese culture: it was permissable to sterilise the insane, but not people of a healthy mind and body. Doubtless the Japanese were thinking of onnagata and such, their attitudes shaped further by a Shinto aversion to bodily modification, later on still to be influenced by gender duality - a problem for LGBTs in the US, is they are seen as subverting norms. My point is, that societies have their own frames, how they deal with things, that shape opinion more than the local versions of ideologies.

You are correct in that Japan has different cultural frames for their homophobia (although much of it was imported from Western cultures during the Meiji Restoration) but that doesn't change that what you said initially, that Japan doesn't have a major LGBT movement, is incredibly incorrect
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
motokokusanagi002 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

You are correct in that Japan has different cultural frames for their homophobia (although much of it was imported from Western cultures during the Meiji Restoration) but that doesn't change that what you said initially, that Japan doesn't have a major LGBT movement, is incredibly incorrect

I live in Japan and can confirm it's not really a big movement here. There's some political activity in Tokyo and occasionally Osaka, but overwhelmingly people don't really care who you sleep with on your own time. Part of this is due to the fact that overt romantic gestures (kissing, making out, even holding hands) are far less common here in public, regardless of genders.

But no, I love it when some white girl from America tells me how things are here.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I went to see PROMARE's redux as a late birthday present to myself. I had a fun time; to my right were a pair of fujoshi who were all atwitter in the beginning when Galo and Lio bashed heads. Later on, I noticed a guy a few seats to my left who was in full Kakusei Lio cosplay.

This guy was living during "that" scene, the first guy to shout out "YEAH!" in a theater just dripping in anticipation. He set off a wave of cheers and applause.

In that moment, we were all friends, and that guy was my hero. I enjoy PROMARE for a lot of reasons, but I've never appreciated someone else enjoying something for different reasons more than in that moment.

PROMARE belongs to everyone, and that's not something you'll be able to take away even if you tried. I don't care if Lio/Galo (or Galo/Lio) is canon or not, because in that moment? It was real, man. It's like Chuck Tingle says, love is real for all who kiss.

That's all I gotta say about that.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

I live in Japan and can confirm it's not really a big movement here. There's some political activity in Tokyo and occasionally Osaka, but overwhelmingly people don't really care who you sleep with on your own time. Part of this is due to the fact that overt romantic gestures (kissing, making out, even holding hands) are far less common here in public, regardless of genders.

But no, I love it when some white girl from America tells me how things are here.

Nice try dude, but I lived in Japan toooooooo. Specifically, a small city in Kansai.

I also follow activists on Twitter, read news and academic articles, and consume fictional and nonfictional creative works focusing on the state of LGBTQ+ rights in Japan. I make an effort to educate myself. I'm far from an expert but I know enough to say that yes, there is a sizable and healthy social justice movement there that functions differently from the ones here in the US.

It's not just about people "car[ing] about who you sleep with on your own time"; it's about marriage equality, the bullying of LGBTQ youth, and a host of other issues.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The thread is about the Best LGBTQ+ Characters of 2019. It isn't a soapbox for people to deny the level of LGBTQ+ activism in Japan. Any further posts along those lines will be removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zandy Brown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Promare!? Waver!? Look, I LOVE me some BL. I can ship a couple with nothing more than a shared glance, and that’s all those two examples are......shipping. Yeah widdle Waver idolized Iskander, and maybe had a man-crush, but that boy was too stuck in his own head to have a relationship with a man or woman. No, I don’t want to hear “asexual” shouted out now. Promare is just as absurd. Galo is a meat head. He was only copying what he saw Lio doing earlier when he tried to save that girl. So what? Now when paramedics are administering breaths, when they come up for compressions, they have to call out “no-homo!”? You want a good example of “Ohhhhh, it’s going there!”, then that would be NO.6. That show had feels.
I do really like Given (didn’t pussyfoot around it like Yuri on Ice (still love you Yuri!)). Big yes to Stars Align. Nod to Yu, and a big ship to Maki/Toma. What kind of crap is that, that the remain episodes are up in the air? Lastly Astra Lost in Space, I think Ulgar and Luca may hook up.
Jin_Uzuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:08 am Reply with quote
Zandy Brown wrote:
Promare!? Waver!? Look, I LOVE me some BL. I can ship a couple with nothing more than a shared glance, and that’s all those two examples are......shipping. Yeah widdle Waver idolized Iskander, and maybe had a man-crush, but that boy was too stuck in his own head to have a relationship with a man or woman. No, I don’t want to hear “asexual” shouted out now. Promare is just as absurd. Galo is a meat head. He was only copying what he saw Lio doing earlier when he tried to save that girl. So what? Now when paramedics are administering breaths, when they come up for compressions, they have to call out “no-homo!”? You want a good example of “Ohhhhh, it’s going there!”, then that would be NO.6. That show had feels.
I do really like Given (didn’t pussyfoot around it like Yuri on Ice (still love you Yuri!)). Big yes to Stars Align. Nod to Yu, and a big ship to Maki/Toma. What kind of crap is that, that the remain episodes are up in the air? Lastly Astra Lost in Space, I think Ulgar and Luca may hook up.

Given is a BL manga published on a BL magazine, of course it didn't "pussyfoot", it didn't need to and it didn't have producers and "all sides" trying to stop the writers from doing what she wanted. (No.6 was an adaptation too by the way, and people tried to no-homo it in the same way they did with YoI anyway when it aired anyway because it wasn't listened as BL)

Not that Yuri on Ice actually pussyfooted anyway, the anime is quite explicit and vocal in ways not even straight couples are (Seriously, how many couple in anime even hold hands?). It just shows the massive double standards when it comes to accepting this as "canon", imagine if Yuuri was a girl and someone claimed the characters were straight.
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
I hope that one day we could get an anime similar to shonen anime but the side romance is gay for once. But I would prefer if that anime treated its romance more like Akatsuki no Yona than most shonen anime. Love the focus on adventure but please properly develop the romance too, please!
I hope the anime adaption of Bakarina this year doesn't downplay how bi the "rival" girls + Maria are. Harems are the most fun if the dense protagonist attracts boys and girls alike~

Being asexual I would also LOVE to see some ace and/or aro characters in anime (who are NOT evil or not human please). I guess a character in Collar x Malice, which is getting an anime, is an aspec but there is no way this will get apparent in the anime (in the game it was only made obvious in an extra asking about the character's "type"). Well, one day maybe. I don't even know any canon ace/aro characters in manga.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Jin_Uzuki wrote:
Not that Yuri on Ice actually pussyfooted anyway, the anime is quite explicit and vocal in ways not even straight couples are (Seriously, how many couple in anime even hold hands? . It just shows the massive double standards when it comes to accepting this as "canon", imagine if Yuuri was a girl and someone claimed the characters were straight.

A lot? Like, I know it's a meme to say hand holding in anime is lewd, but some people act like it's some rare thing in anime. Same with kissing. Or hugging. Or saying "I love you".
Or any kind of direct expression of love or romance. Yuri on Ice was purposely vague and coy because of behind the scenes disagreements and meddling. Most anime isn't like that and I have no idea why people keep trying to say Yuri on Ice "did the norm" or even "did more than most other shows"

The only time it's vague is if it's intentionally not being committing to any one pairing, like in a harem where the whole premise is any girl could realistically hook up with the MC, even though there's usually the very obvious canon love interest they'll hook up with in the end anyway. And that's not even counting the direct sexual contact they'll be getting into along the way. And I don't know why people try to say straight pairings require less proof. People argue over straight shippings all the heckin time. Some of the most toxic, rowdy fanbases are straight ships. Just look at Finnrey and Reylo shipper wars to the point they attack the Star Wars actors themselves. I mean, yeah, most people are straight so straight pairings are going to be seen as the default, which is 100% understandable, but people act like there aren't huge arguments and fights over if a male character and a female character are in love or anything when every show has people who insist that the main guy loves this girl and others say he loves another girl and they're throwing their list of 'proof' at each other for 10+ years until the manga ends and an official pairing is said.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
asneakysnake wrote:
Machikado Mazoku is gets snubbed again. Why is it so unpopular in the west?!

It's not unpopular in the west. Just unpopular on ANN.

Definitely a terrible omission in this list though.

Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion anime is niche in west unless are seasonal hits which are usualy battle shounen and action harem isekai. In that list for example I think only Promare have chance get broader audience because is trigger/action show, people talk that movie have great animation, make 2 milion in US and so far many people don't have chance even watched it. Which is quite good that action show with gay kiss/cpr is succesfull and could be gateway to more 'mainstream' shows with gay content.

And by more 'mainstream' show I mean shows like this year Kimetsu, Neverland, Mob that more likely to be watched for western people that not necesery identifited as anime fans, otaku, not watch seasonal anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7