Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Winter 2020


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MidoriUma



Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1054
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?


Most people would assume it's a technical error....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lancelotginus



Joined: 15 Jul 2019
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?


Highly doubt they were paid to promote certain shows. Everything recommended is either: already popular, respected source material, or has a great staff behind it. I’m sure they’ll get Steve’s picks corrected soon. It’s likely a very busy time for the site, so I don’t mind some mistakes in posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MidoriUma



Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?


Most people would assume it's a technical error....


I considered that, but it's just not possible. They would each have written out their own words, and sent those in separately. There's no "technical error" where an e-mail program or website replicates one piece of (apparently sponsored) content. Someone, somewhere along the lines would have had to copy and paste it.

They're just trying to get people hyped up over mediocre series. Notice in Theron Martin's preview, he's not even allowed to WRITE the words Isekai Quartet, much less link to it like all the other series (go re-read the article and fact check this. he literally only says "the second season of 2019's funniest and cleverest comedy series").

Because they didn't pay the fee to being mentioned on ANN.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16014
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?

I always get a chuckle out of comments like this, as they brazenly show that the poster hasn't the faintest idea how things work on our end. Besides, little to nothing in those entries should be a surprise to anyone who's been reading reviews and previews on ANN for a while. They're almost all titles which match up with that writer's established interests and/or are from generally highly-regarded sources.

EDIT: Okay, stop with the conspiracy theory, as you're being ridiculous. I didn't realize that I never typed the name Isekai Quartet in my entry until I went back and read it, and the other thing you're harping about is a basic cut-and-paste error. (And for the record, I deleted your other post because it was responding to the unedited version of this post.)


Last edited by Key on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MidoriUma



Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?

I always get a chuckle out of comments like this, as they brazenly show that the poster hasn't the faintest idea how things work on our end. Besides, little to nothing in those entries should be a surprise to anyone who's been reading reviews and previews on ANN for a while. They're almost all titles which match up with that writer's established interests and/or are from generally highly-regarded sources.

EDIT: Okay, stop with the conspiracy theory, as you're being ridiculous. I didn't realize that I never typed the name Isekai Quartet in my entry until I went back and read it, and the other thing you're harping about is a basic cut-and-paste error. (And for the record, I deleted your other post because it was responding to the unedited version of this post.)


Then go change it, prove me wrong. You're a high ranking mod, so shouldn't be a problem.

Ironically, I had really admired your taste in anime and writing style quite a bit. You were one of exactly two reviewers on here who could give you the sense, through their writing, that they really enjoyed what they were talking about. But maybe that was just an illusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7886
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
1. Y'all need to calm down.

2. It was a copy-paste error I made and it's been fixed. Most articles on major press outlets also have errors and typos like this if you read them right when they go live. It's the nature of modern publishing. I apologize for the error, but it's not a big deal, and it's been fixed.

3. You should consider re-evaluating yourself if "copy-paste error" reads to you as some sort of proof of a massive, secret conspiracy theory you yourself have finally sleuthed out, evidence of paid-for opinions that are disingenuous and somehow tricking you into thinking something. My advice is to consider the option of consuming less angry YouTube videos.


Last edited by Zac on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 624
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?


Most people would assume it's a technical error....


I considered that, but it's just not possible.


Steve Jones literally has an image from the upcoming Dorehedoro right under his name and yet there's not a mention of the show when he's going over what he's looking forward to next season. It's obviously an error.

EDIT: oh look, what do you know, it was changed and turns out it was an error, big surprise

anyway i think my only problem is that there's a lot of repeated mentions of the same shows between a lot of these different reviewers. multiple haikyuus, multiple dorehedoros, multiple eizoukens. and obviously sometimes people's tastes are going to align, that's totally natural, but if i didn't know any better i would think that next season's pickings were shallow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2779
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how much longer Sangoku Soketsuden is going to last, but considering they're only releasing one OVA a month (ONA? what are we calling shows that release direct-to-streaming these days?), and they're not even a tenth of the way through the plot of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I figure it will last at least until the end of the season, making it my de facto "continuing series" pick.

As for shows premiering this season, I'm most excited about the Madoka spinoff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 469
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?


Most people would assume it's a technical error....


I considered that, but it's just not possible.


Steve Jones literally has an image from the upcoming Dorehedoro right under his name and yet there's not a mention of the show when he's going over what he's looking forward to next season. It's obviously an error.

EDIT: oh look, what do you know, it was changed and turns out it was an error, big surprise

anyway i think my only problem is that there's a lot of repeated mentions of the same shows between a lot of these different reviewers. multiple haikyuus, multiple dorehedoros, multiple eizoukens. and obviously sometimes people's tastes are going to align, that's totally natural, but if i didn't know any better i would think that next season's pickings were shallow


Because Winter 2020 is starved of good shows. Outside of Masaki Yuasa's Eizouken, Dorohedoro, Hakiyuu and Somali, are there really any shows being worthy of hype? Do people think that shit like Plunderer or Interspecies Reviewers are worthy of hype? Do people unironically think that your run-of-the-mill cute girls shows like Asteroid and Nekopara are worthy of hype? Do you people think that VRMMO anime (that have been regurgitated to death already!) like Dendro or BOFURI will be anything other than your seasonal filler junk? Lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4488
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
There isn't much that has caught my attention from Winter 2020. I am looking forward to the third season of Railgun, but it is not a show that I love. I would be hyped for Dorohedoro, but I am not thanks to Netflix jail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 469
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes. That dreaded Netflix jail who keeps locking away the best shows of the season like Beastars. At least Amazon has the decency to release their shows weekly. Really makes you wish that the Ultra+ deal went to Amazon instead of Netflix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16014
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Do people think that shit like Plunderer or Interspecies Reviewers are worthy of hype? Do people unironically think that your run-of-the-mill cute girls shows like Asteroid and Nekopara are worthy of hype? Do you people think that VRMMO anime (that have been regurgitated to death already!) like Dendro or BOFURI will be anything other than your seasonal filler junk?

Yes, some undoubtedly do think that. Why is that a problem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 1398
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
My top three would be Magia Record, BOFURI, and Somali and the Forest Spirit. Of course Somali and the Forest Spirit was helped by the fact that I watched the first episode and the show is even more adorable than the trailer indicated and I think it is likely that the Golem is going to be anime father of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fred Lougee



Joined: 01 Oct 2018
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
So Steve Jones just blatantly ripped off Lynzee Loveridge?Their wording is IDENTICAL.

These previews are so fake. You got paid by advertisers to push certain series, didn't you?


Most people would assume it's a technical error....


I considered that, but it's just not possible.


Steve Jones literally has an image from the upcoming Dorehedoro right under his name and yet there's not a mention of the show when he's going over what he's looking forward to next season. It's obviously an error.

EDIT: oh look, what do you know, it was changed and turns out it was an error, big surprise

anyway i think my only problem is that there's a lot of repeated mentions of the same shows between a lot of these different reviewers. multiple haikyuus, multiple dorehedoros, multiple eizoukens. and obviously sometimes people's tastes are going to align, that's totally natural, but if i didn't know any better i would think that next season's pickings were shallow


Because Winter 2020 is starved of good shows. Outside of Masaki Yuasa's Eizouken, Dorohedoro, Hakiyuu and Somali, are there really any shows being worthy of hype? Do people think that shit like Plunderer or Interspecies Reviewers are worthy of hype? Do people unironically think that your run-of-the-mill cute girls shows like Asteroid and Nekopara are worthy of hype? Do you people think that VRMMO anime (that have been regurgitated to death already!) like Dendro or BOFURI will be anything other than your seasonal filler junk? Lol.


And if people would stop using the anime medium as a weekly half hour commercial for their smartphone game that would be great, arrigato.

In the Fall Season there were just two shows that I managed to stick with: Dr Stone and SAO. I tried to get into a few others but they lost me for various reasons. I was particularly let down by the Fate/ series because the characters and writing felt timid compared to previous incarnation of the franchise. Especially coming on the heels of The Case Files of Lord El Melloi II which was [insert boatload of superlatives here]. In baseball terms it's like a team winning 110 games and the World Series one year and finishing at .500 the next. Sure, they didn't lose 100 games but for the fans it feels like it.

For the Winter Season I am hesitantly looking forward to the third season of Railgun. The third season of Index was a mess because they tried to pack too much of the manga into two cours and the Railgun series was an interesting but ultimately pointless show about one of the more intriguing characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group