• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That no one figures out that Kaname's Sigil is duplication also beggars belief a bit

Sigil's are not generally as straightforward as Banta's. Shuka's is a lot more than what it seems. Assuming you know a Sigil from a quick read is a good way to get killed.

spoiler[Kaname's Sigil isn't duplication. It is creation, focused on weapons and related combat tools.. It is just simpler, at first, for him to create exact copies. But later on he starts to make hybrid and even custom items.]
myfairx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
Golem and Daughter adventure seems good although I wish the first few minutes could be better (just me nitpicking). Will keep an eye on this one.

Asteroid love. Heh couldn't care less beyond how good the character design and animation is. Boring as heck. But since I thoroughly love Rifle is Beautiful last season (which ep 1 also suck b**ls ) I will reserve my judgement.

Madoka side story. Since I don't have any love for original Madoka I doubt I'll watch this.

Darwin game.. Fell asleep during th first 10 minutes. May try again later.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Darwin's Game episode 1

spoiler[Banda must've gotten hit by a damn Tesla]
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
Somali and the Forest Spirit-Really enjoyed it. The best thing imo was the OST. Seems like it'll be a nice SOL series.

Asteroid in Love-I'm relatively new to the CGDCT genre since I started watching them within the last few years. I'm interested in this show, but none of the characters strike me as charming so far. YuruCamp had me sold the first episode.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
I don´t expect much from this season. Kyokou Suiri´s manga starts good but it turns into a generic teen detective LN fairly fast. Runway de Waratte and Somali to Mori no Kami-sama are also ok. On to the more interesting stuff.

Dorohedoro The manga is first of all great. MAPPA isn´t living up to its Madhouse 2.0 potential on the other hand, I have no idea how good they are with CG and I don´t get what a 23 vol manga is supposed to do with 12 eps but here we are. The manga´s gore level is further an 11/10 from the start and the later volumes feature endless nudity. I wish the anime the best but i will withhold any hype till I see what I get.

Kuutei Dragons This isn´t the best of breed in the monster hunter genre, that would be Dungeon Meshi, but the manga is still a solid production. I don´t think that CG is the best fit here but the Netflix anime library desperately needs improvement so I ain´t complaining.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story The 12 ep show was all I ever wanted from this property. The new conclusion that was the 3rd film was already too much so don´t ask me what a gaiden story can bring to the table. I´ll just hope that it will look nice for a few eps due to still being a Shaft show. This is adapting a phone game btw. Yeah.

The movie/OVA scene is a wasteland this season. One Piece: Stampede is coming to Blu Ray. Those late 2019 Rohan OVAs are destined to be good and have to enter wide release... one day. Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul should be ok, I guess. I got nothing. Let´s try out Madoka 2.0.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but series like Usagi Drop and If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord have forever made me suspicious of stories like Somali and the Forest Spirit.

Didn't the latter end up just being a rumour, borne out of the same inability to recognize male bonding that produces most slash shipping? Actually, I seem to remember hearing that Usagi Drop is largely suspected to be the writer retaliating against his publisher by tanking the property.

As such the whole section of the review was based on one incredibly unusual edge case, particularly given the size of the father-daughter genre (Yotsuba being one of the most famous manga out there), not so different from assuming all romantic comedies will turn into Rape Namek.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
[
Didn't the latter end up just being a rumour, borne out of the same inability to recognize male bonding that produces most slash shipping? .

What in the world are you even talking about? The If It's For My Daughter... light novels feature the titular daughter character marrying her adoptive father who's raised her since early childhood.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:

As such the whole section of the review was based on one incredibly unusual edge case, particularly given the size of the father-daughter genre (Yotsuba being one of the most famous manga out there), not so different from assuming all romantic comedies will turn into Rape Namek.

Since SEVERAL of the most popular father-daughter anime stories ended with daddy dearest marrying his own (adopted) kid, I think people are justified in giving Somali the side-eye when it came out. Myself included. Fortunately it looks like a genuine parent-child story, and so far none of the manga readers have popped up to give warnings, like they did with For my Daughter and Bunny Drop. May it stay that way.
borobor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm blown away by the animation talent and sheer creative enthusiasm on display in Eizouken. I don't necessarily know if it's going to be a personal favorite of mine, and I'm also completely in agreement with Theron's review in that Yuasa's style has just never clicked for me in the past so I had no personal hype for this one, but I got chills from the first episode.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
ID: invaded desperately needed more subtlety (and maybe less technobabble). I know it's the selling point, but I wish it was less focused on the "virtual world" aspect and had more of the real world detective aspect, and bounced between the two more. Also wish they did more visually speaking, I vaguely recall a live action (american?) movie that had the same kind of premise and they did far more visually, to say nothing of Paprika.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of Eizouken and it seems very promising so far. The three main characters are already showing a ton of personality, and their designs help set them apart from the typical cute anime girls. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Darwins' Game (4 out of 5) - I usually dislike murder game anime but this one was fairly entertaining. The villains are villainous, the protagonist is a reasonably good guy, and it has an amusing sense of humor where the protagonist expresses irritation that even the murder game app contains a gatcha game. The yandere girlfriend that starts off trying to murder him but than wants to have his babies is a tad predictable but she has a nice visual style and seems more sane than what is typical for the murder game genre.

Magia Record (4.5 out of 5) - The first episode was great in capturing the feel of the original series in both story tone and visual style with the only noticeable issue being that it really expects the audience to have watched Madoka Magica. The episode was packed with lots of background details such as the flashes of propaganda and "The only Good Witch is a Dead Witch" got a laugh out of me. While I am skeptical whether the spin off will compare to the original show I am more optimistic after watching the first episode and it adds some intiguing new elements.

Somali and the Forest Spirit (5 out of 5) - A beautiful fairy tale that blends fantasy with fairy tale and is one of the better father-daughter stories I have seen in anime. While the trailers did give away the potential for tragedy it was fairly obvious that the story is heading in that direction given the cracks on the Golem's arms. Overall it was an adorable episode with a lot of creativity and some nice humor that even in a city of monsters you would still have a dubious merchant selling fake gold jewelry. It will be interesting to see where the story goes and what really happened to the humans.

ThrowMeOut wrote:
Since SEVERAL of the most popular father-daughter anime stories ended with daddy dearest marrying his own (adopted) kid, I think people are justified in giving Somali the side-eye when it came out. Myself included. Fortunately it looks like a genuine parent-child story, and so far none of the manga readers have popped up to give warnings, like they did with For my Daughter and Bunny Drop. May it stay that way.

I believe there have only been two anime shows in the last decade where that type of thing happens. I understand why those two shows got a lot of attention especially since one of them was released last season but if something only happens twice in a decade that does make it extremely rare. Also manga readers of Somali and the Forest Spirit have been saying since the anime was announced last March that the manga doesn't have anything like that.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I believe there have only been two anime shows in the last decade where that type of thing happens. I understand why those two shows got a lot of attention especially since one of them was released last season but if something only happens twice in a decade that does make it extremely rare.

If something is highly repulsive to people--incest certainly is, for most of us--and it has shown up without warning more than once in a seemingly-wholesome story, you can't blame people for feeling wary towards anything with a similar premise in the same subculture. It isn't just those two, either; there was "listen to me, I am your father" or whatever it was called, which turned out to be just straight-up lolicon, though at least it didn't try to hide it. And in the same general category, the countless little-sister anime.

"Wife Husbandry" as TVTropes calls it is actually a very old concept, not at all limited to anime--or fiction, for that matter--but these days it's considered sketchy and antiquated, at best. Anyway, we all seem to agree that Somali isn't headed in that direction, so... next topic, please?
Nutaris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
I believe there have only been two anime shows in the last decade where that type of thing happens. I understand why those two shows got a lot of attention especially since one of them was released last season but if something only happens twice in a decade that does make it extremely rare.

If something is highly repulsive to people--incest certainly is, for most of us--and it has shown up without warning more than once in a seemingly-wholesome story, you can't blame people for feeling wary towards anything with a similar premise in the same subculture. It isn't just those two, either; there was "listen to me, I am your father" or whatever it was called, which turned out to be just straight-up lolicon, though at least it didn't try to hide it. And in the same general category, the countless little-sister anime.

"Wife Husbandry" as TVTropes calls it is actually a very old concept, not at all limited to anime--or fiction, for that matter--but these days it's considered sketchy and antiquated, at best. Anyway, we all seem to agree that Somali isn't headed in that direction, so... next topic, please?

Now, this kind of one sided slandering is getting pretty old. We get that a lot of people don't like stories where a caregiver ends up romantically involved with their charge. However, I'm willing to bet there are more than enough people who don't have a problem with it either.

Firstly, it's a work of fiction. Secondly, it's consensual no one has the right to say they aren't allowed to like who they wish. Thirdly, they aren't related so it's not incest. Seriously, you are free to like or dislike what you wish, but attitudes like this are eerily similar to homophobic behavior which we are finally starting to get over as a society. Let's try to bring that moral outage down a few notches please?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Well Eizouken was pretty darn amazing! Like Theron I also never got into ping pong because I really didn't like the art style, but here it's just close enough to my taste that I can totally be on board. I really like that the setting is just fantastic enough to feel foreign but still remains within the bound of reality. Very promising.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18