• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Considering the LGBTQ community represented in the ANN staff, I think The Case Files of Jeweler Richard would get a lot higher scores if they could have seen the second episode. And some more of us might have voted it in for reviews too. I voted for it- not because I was stunned with the first episode but because I had a feeling it had an unexpected direction or two coming up.

The "solution" was not one expected to see- and it was dealt with carefully and taking special care to "exhibit no prejudice nor speak in a discriminatory manner" while doing so. But the point of understanding it in the context of being a grown Japanese woman is an important one.

I may have to refer to this as "The Case Files of The Woke Richard"
and Seigi is a worthy apprentice in that respect, he just has to learn how to express himself a bit better if he wants to be truly woke...
and maybe he can learn some of that gemstone stuff.too.

Honestly I wish the season preview went up to the 3rd episode and then we voted for what we wanted to include in the weekly reviews

Sometimes one episode really isn’t enough to get a good feel of a series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Each of them gets their little moments to reestablish themselves this episode, as do a few other important characters, including one of the Sisters, Kongou, and Misaki, the mind-controlling fifth-ranked Level 5. (Her appearance is a bit uncomfortable given what happens with her team in Index 3.)

i think your incorrect there. for one thing, shokuho's team wasnt even involved in the events of index 3. i think you actually mean meltdowner and ITEM!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The season was the mess I expected it to be. On to the Dark Kumite survivors but first a round of cleanup. Obsolete, a YT original real-robot show from December is a write-off. Kyokou Suiri starts perfectly fine but will drop off halfway through. Consider it a soft recommendation. A 7,5/10 now, likely a 6/10 overall.

Dorohedoro is moving at a still acceptable speed so far but nearly all of vol 1 was adapted in only 2 eps. The full runtime will be 12 eps + 6 full-length OVAs. Let´s hope that we don´t end with another Blade of the Immortal 2019/20 situation on our hands which went from too fast (and badly directed) to incomprehensibly condensed in a bit over a month. The inconsistent CG mix doesn´t fully work either and some of the VAs are borderline miscast. The censorship is already way too high too so I have no idea how the later volumes are supposed to be adapted. I still had fun and like the moody backgrounds but MAPPA just isn´t the studio it could be. A 7,5/10 for now. The manga is a 9/10.

Kuutei Dragons I already ain´t crazy about the manga´s ultimate direction but Polygon´s take is lesser than the source material to begin with. Their Star Wars work proves that they can animate but this looks too stiff and kinda cheap. The titular dragons outright look like ass. Try the manga instead but I liked the VAs. 6/10

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story is the mismanaged mess I expected to be. The crew is too green to make it look as good as the last one and any possible story possibilities were explored in the original 12 eps. Not that I ever expected a mobile game to get a good anime. Shingeki no Bahamut S01 was clearly an accident. 5/10

Only Mugen no Juunin: Immortal goes on for me as I apparently hate myself. 4/10
So are: BoJack Horseman, Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons, Harley Quinn, Steven Universe Future, The Simpsons (trash) and Teen Titans Go.

I lastly sat down and cleaned up the interesting looking anime films of 2019 outside of Dragon Quest: Your Story (soon on Netflix) and Lupin III: The First. Eiga no Osomatsu-san and Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara were the only ones I actually liked but even they were too formulaic.
Lupin the IIIrd: Mine Fujiko no Uso, Ni no Kuni (set after the 1st game), Tenki no Ko and probably Kaijuu no Kodomo (based on the style over substance manga) are further ok. A meh/10 year for anime films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a big shame, as she was an expert at voicing haughty characters like Misaki. Her replacement, whom I have not been able to identify yet, is a distinct step down, but she will have the advantage of being able to establish herself in the role over a broader expanse of appearances (Misaki only had a significant part in one episode of Railgun S), so she should eventually define Misaki on her own.

From what I can tell, I THINK Misaki is being voiced by Mikaela Krantz now. Since I don't remember how Rogers sounded, I think Krantz does a good job.

Wannai's (the brown haired friend of Kongou) VA was replaced as well, which I am much more upset about since I really like Kristi Kang. Hopefully its just a scheduling thing and she hasn't retired either. I mean she did manage to do the FT dub IIRC.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see a few of the simuldubs getting short reviews! I really enjoyed the Hanako-kun dub from the couple episodes I've seen. I also think Darwin's Game and Smile Down the Runway had really solid dub premieres (even if I'm only probably going to keep watching the latter show).

Also, add Orphen as yet another recent show that had an English VAs revisit one of their earliest roles from 15-20 years prior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18