• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The 5 Best Studio Ghibli Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisterofian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
*sees Princess Mononoke is #1*

you got it right.

haha love it! This is Jacki -- thank you all for commenting, really appreciate the discussion Smile Let us know what you'd like the next list to be!?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I figured you were doing this list because January 5 is Miyazaki's 79th birthday?

I'm not going to argue with the list, save that I think Princess Kaguya should be there somewhere, too. I guess I'd bump Howl to make room for it. Maybe Only Yesterday.

A pair of BBC broadcasters did a podcast series going through all of the films that is worth a listen: https://play.acast.com/s/ghibliotheque
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 am Reply with quote
1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
5. Porco Rosso
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
5. Grave of the Fireflies
4. The Wind Rises
3. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
2. Spirited Away
1. Princess Mononoke

Special mention to the original Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga. It's not a movie but it's a masterpiece.
ChoGGi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
1. Nausicaä
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
I heartily agree with another poster that there is such consistency in the quality of Ghibli films that a ranking seems a little arbitrary and rather than repeat the group of films in the consensus for the top five, I'll just put in a good word for Princess Kaguya, an absolute piece of art in motion and glorious cap to Takahata-sensei's work and Laputa my second favorite behind Spirited Away which I believe is the true masterpiece. Also really fail to see how Princess Mononoke is so wonderful, but unlike some do with other shows, I won't say it's "poor" when so many find it so good.

EDIT: @tcdelaney How could I forget Grave of the Fireflies? I agree that it transcends a ranking of this sort because it was not a show to "enjoy" but appreciate (with a little awe). It was impactful, attesting to it's source and masterful composition and execution.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
1) Laupta. For whatever reason I feel it has an extra dose of that Ghibli magic. Few shows have left me with a sense of wonder like Laputa did. Everything about the film is wonderful in the true sense of the word, even down to the artwork during the credits.

2) Nausicaa. A classic among classics, and I don't think that many of the later Ghibli films can hold a candle to it. It's also hard to understate just how influential it was for anime in general.

3) Totoro, not only for its wonderful scenery which you can appreciate equally as a child or as an adult, but also for its amazing soundtrack.

4) Whisper of the Heart, for the exact reasons the article discusses.

5) Princess Mononoke.

I honestly don't get the appeal of Grave of the Fireflies. To me, the emotional impact that the film ought to have is completely undermined by the children's poor choices.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ranking a top five for Ghibli (especially in terms of objective quality) is basically impossible, imo. So many of their films are outright masterpieces. Although I certainly wouldn't have included Howls in this list myself (don't get me wrong, I love the movie - it's just think it's a bit of a lesser Miyazaki film), the other four are pretty hard to contest. Main point - Ghibli remains the best.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen all of Ghibli's films so my list is:

1.Castle in the Sky

2.The Cat Returns

3.Secret World of Arrietty

4.Spirited Away

5. Kiki's Delivery Service

I thought Howl's Moving Castle had an interesting premise, but by the end I wasn't a fan of it. The feeling intensified after reading the novel it was based on. I wish Miyazaki would've stuck to the plot of the book.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Why people like Howl's Moving Castle so much is one of life's mysteries.
My five (in no order) are:
Nausicaa
Whisper of the Heart
Totoro
Kiki
Only Yesterday

And I have affection for many others, including Wind Rises and Marnie - which I appreciate for its cold, very un-Miyazakian tone.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
Raises hand- I HAVE seen all of the movies... but my favorites mostly fall into a single category. Mine are mainly coming of age stories, To me, stories about gaining maturity while holding onto a childish wonder are my favorite stories.

1. Spirited Away
Straight up, my favorite movie. I love movies about the merger of of fantasy and reality. I also love coming of age/ growing stories. And it's beautiful to look at, with fantastic sequences that move seamlessly one to the next.

2. My Neighbor Totoro
It's the cuteness, and the girls growing, and the simple awesomeness of Totoro and Catbus.

3. Whisper of the Heart
Such a beautiful coming of age story, combined with the quest for creativity and love of literature. I also love the serendipity involved, from the chance meeting to the wondrous coincidence, intuition of Shizuku in creating a story about a missing partner for the Baron, even giving her the right name (a feature that is infuriatingly almost completely ruined by the English dub)
4. Only Yesterday
Again, coming of age. Informed this time by hindsight and a second period of discovery. It also reminds me of my family roots in farming and maybe eventually influenced my current occupation working in an agriculture agency.

4. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Only Yesterday is my personal choice based on emotional resonance, Kaguya is my choice for pure masterful craft and artistic vision. There’s nothing wrong with the story but the artistic side is without equal (IMO). Probably has the best themesong too. IF you look up the trailer on Youtube find the International trailer without dialogue (I think the one posted with English text is for the AU Madman release). That song and those images bring a tear to my eye. In a time when all trailers (including the US trailer for this) are made of frantic cuts and “From the makers of… In a world where…” type of dumb downed narration that trailer is breath of fresh air and such a better inspiration to watch the film

It's a little weird that all the rest of Takahata's movies (including Grave of the Fireflies) would be at the bottom of a complete list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, what a challenge! I'm so fond of most of them. The only movie I didn't particularly enjoy was Grave of Fireflies.

5. Ocean Waves/Only Yesterday
My current #5 spot has to be split between these two wonderful movies. Their praises are not sung as often as the other Ghibli films, but they are each unique and beautiful (with great soundtracks!).

4. My Neighbor Totoro
This was the first Ghibli movie I ever watched. I was probably around 4 when I saw it for the first time. It wasn't until several years later that my father stumbled upon Princess Mononoke (see below).

3. Spirited Away
My twin brother and I watched this movie almost every night for over a year after we saw this.

2. Howl's Moving Castle
This movie introduced me to one of my favorite authors, Diana Wynne Jones. I've since collected many of her books and often re-read them.

1. Princess Mononoke
A true masterpiece. I remember when my father brought us to our local blockbuster and rented this movie on a whim. I believe the original DVD had comments comparing the movie to Starwars? Laughing
maddynamite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen all the Ghibli movies, but I've seen all the most popular ones. As I think about my list, I'm also thinking about which movies to share with my infant and toddler daughters when they get a little older. Ghibli movies are such great family movies: visually appealing and narratively simple enough for children to enjoy, but there's also a depth to the characters and story that you appreciate many years later, after watching the movies again.

5. Tale of Princess Kaguya
4. Howl's Moving Castle
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
2. My Neighbor Totoro
1. Spirited Away
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It's a little weird that all the rest of Takahata's movies (including Grave of the Fireflies) would be at the bottom of a complete list.

I think I might slit my wrists rather than watch Pom Poko again. I have a fondness for the Yamadas, though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I think I might slit my wrists rather than watch Pom Poko again. I have a fondness for the Yamadas, though.

bottom (Not exactly bad- but not the best):
17. Pom Poko (goes slow and has weirdly contradictory bits... that it meanders some could be part of its character- they aren't known for keeping plans well). NOt really bad IMO, but considering the competition...
18. (The Cat Returns- too standard of a cartoon)
19. (Ocean Waves.... I've now seen it twice, once last year... still so forgetable I'm having dificulty thinking of its plot... pleasant enough while watching)
20. Grave of the Fireflies... sure it's powerful, but I can't watch it again, and there are other things I don't like that I won't get into here. It's not a "worst" list.
21. Yamadas... I wasn't going to buy this again after the first watch, but I found the DVD for a couple bucks in a resale store and watched it again... still bores me and I just don't find it as funny as I should. There's plenty worse in the world but not in the Ghibli catalog
22.(Tales from Earthsea... there is definitely one worse though. Sorry Goro,.. I'd put Ronja around Pom Poko if it counted)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3