• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The 5 Best Studio Ghibli Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
childeroland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
1. Only Yesterday
2. Spirited Away
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Grave of the Fireflies
5. My Neighbor Totoro
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow
You are so right in putting Earthsea last. What a terrible embarrassment that was.
I haven't got round to Ronia yet, but I'm quite keen to see it. I enjoyed Poppy Hill greatly, and much much more than I was expecting qt the time.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Actually I feel sorry for Goro, it must have been hell to have your first effort so roundly panned when your dad is legendary. But, yes, despite there being some people that loved Earthsea like my daughter I forgot it existed let alone being "Ghibli" so if not absolute last ranking, maybe close to that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
Yes, Earthsea needed what Poppy Hill had, more collaboration. Goro had to do too much for a first work, as far as I can tell. He was a main screenwriter with another first-timer, story-boarder, and was temporarily estranged from his father. Not a good recipe for success. Yet, when you compare it to other stuff... Did you notice what won best animated film at the Golden Globes?- MIssing LInk- a rote animated road-trip comedy. The animated equivalent of that 2004 Around the World in 80 Days movie- with a Jack Black Bigfoot. At least Earthsea had ambition. I wouldn't necessarily choose to rewatch either, but if forced, definitely Earthsea.

I assume Toshio saw the writing on the wall, Ghibli absolutely needed new directors or it would go the way... it eventually did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maddynamite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Did you notice what won best animated film at the Golden Globes?- MIssing Link... At least Earthsea had ambition.

Have you...never seen any of Laika's films? They're extremely ambitious lol. And note it didn't win best comedy or drama. It won for animation, and they deserve it. Their artists are top notch, and the love they have for their craft really shows.

Take a gander at any behind-the-scenes videos or photos and tell me their movies are not ambitious. I am biased because I love their movies, but please don't dismiss them just because they made a buddy road trip movie. They also did Kubo and the Two Strings, a fantasy samurai adventure movie. It's also gorgeous and a blast to watch.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
^^^
You you are defending it by using Laika's other movies. All of their movies have had different directors (well, I guess Missing Link's director was the co-director of ParaNorman but...). There will be varying quality. I didn't like Missing Link, the story was paint by numbers. I saw it the same week as I saw Hellboy. I liked Hellboy more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3