• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Carole & Tuesday, Demon Slayer, Vinland Saga Land Most Nominations for Crunchyroll's A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Shield Hero's shut out is not much of a surprise either, considering some of the judges we're bragging about their intent to do so even as far back as a year ago.

The slave's fidelity was acknowledged.
Good for her, I guess.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

The slave's fidelity was acknowledged.
Good for her, I guess.

Very Happy Yep. Although, of the shows nominations i'm only going to vote for OST since i didn't watch the dub and i preferred Chika to Raph in 2019
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
They picked the wrong ED for Carol & Tuesday. I would've voted for "Not Afraid" by Alisa.

And I felt they had the wrong Vinland Saga opening and ending. I would have voted for Vinland Saga's 2nd opening. A choice between Vinland Saga's 2nd ending and Dororo's ending would have been a more difficult one. Though none of the aforementioned would have been my actual preferred picks.

Probably most of the categories didn't have my preferred pick, but it was still a fun waste of couple minutes.

Last edited by Cam0 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
They picked the wrong opening for Vinland Saga... 2nd OP is better than the first
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Happily surpised to see Machio nominated, though I would've voted Hibiki for best girl..... Very Happy
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I get what the Anime Awards are meant to be, but it's still disappointing to see Crunchyroll being content to simply being the anime equivalent of the Game Awards. By that, I mean that there is no real effort to aim anything more than simply being a surface level celebration of the medium it's giving the awards to.

For example, we don't just get brand new shows every year via streaming, but we also get older titles being made available via streaming every year, but once they get uploaded they're essentially ignored & forgotten; they're nothing more than abandoned babies at an orphanage. Why not have a "Best Catalog Addition" category where fans & the judges can pick which older title that was added to a streaming service is the "best?

Hell, 2019 alone saw titles like Eat-Man (both seasons), GoShogun (TV & movie), Kaiba, Twelve Kingdoms, Kimagure Orange Road, Dairugger XV, & freaking Neon Genesis Evangelion all become available to watch via streaming, and of those only Eva is getting any sort of attention at the Anime Awards this year via Casey Mongillo's performance as Shinji in the new dub. Think about that for a second: The Anime Awards could have had a year where people could pick between Kaiba, Twelve Kingdoms, GoShogun: The Time Etranger, Kimagure Orange Road, & Evangelion for best old anime that's now streaming officially... And Crunchyroll decided to not do so, let alone the lack of a movie category, in general.

And I haven't even brought up the lack of any sort of "Lifetime Achievement Award" or "Honorary Award" to acknowledge the contributions of specific individuals or studios, ala the Academy Awards.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
How could they ignore Aoi Yuuki's terrific performance as Boogiepop, coming after her work as the cursed sword in Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers (2018). She has such a remarkably pliant voice. I've been following her career since she voiced Murasaki in 2008's Kurenai at age fifteen.

And what's the fascination with Magase Ai from Babylon, a character who is woefully underdeveloped.

I always have a problem with the character design categories since in most cases the original design came from the manga-ka. I could see limiting it to original anime productions, but including adaptations seems a bit silly to me.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I try not to let these Award shows bother me too much especially after last year's Crunchyroll Awards but I don't think I can keep quiet when I see that Demon Slayer's OP isn't anywhere to be found in the Best Opening Sequence category. That just seems wrong to me so much so that I had to roll my eyes twice to see if it wasn't just my imagination.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I get what the Anime Awards are meant to be, but it's still disappointing to see Crunchyroll being content to simply being the anime equivalent of the Game Awards. By that, I mean that there is no real effort to aim anything more than simply being a surface level celebration of the medium it's giving the awards to.

For example, we don't just get brand new shows every year via streaming, but we also get older titles being made available via streaming every year, but once they get uploaded they're essentially ignored & forgotten; they're nothing more than abandoned babies at an orphanage. Why not have a "Best Catalog Addition" category where fans & the judges can pick which older title that was added to a streaming service is the "best?

Hell, 2019 alone saw titles like Eat-Man (both seasons), GoShogun (TV & movie), Kaiba, Twelve Kingdoms, Kimagure Orange Road, Dairugger XV, & freaking Neon Genesis Evangelion all become available to watch via streaming, and of those only Eva is getting any sort of attention at the Anime Awards this year via Casey Mongillo's performance as Shinji in the new dub. Think about that for a second: The Anime Awards could have had a year where people could pick between Kaiba, Twelve Kingdoms, GoShogun: The Time Etranger, Kimagure Orange Road, & Evangelion for best old anime that's now streaming officially... And Crunchyroll decided to not do so, let alone the lack of a movie category, in general.

And I haven't even brought up the lack of any sort of "Lifetime Achievement Award" or "Honorary Award" to acknowledge the contributions of specific individuals or studios, ala the Academy Awards.

Including shows that are decades old simply because they found a new home on a new streaming platform or home video release isn't a good idea. It would truly cause these awards to stand out from the actual industry because it'd no longer be (in theory) a celebration of Japan. It'd be a celebration of the myriad of American streaming services and companies constantly vying for streaming rights and re-releases every year. Just the fact they only allow legally available anime to be nominated already holds it back, in my opinion. And really, refusing to name a modern anime as Show of the Year and instead citing something old like Twelve Kingdoms as 'best isekai of 2019' would be a totally believable headline I could find at some clickbait website.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Odd no one seems to be bothered that of the 200 to 300-something anime released in 2019 the award nominations would lead you believe there were only like 5 good shows and 2 genres.

...and what the hell is with the Babylon nominations? The show isn't even done and the plot is kind of all over the place.

In past years, even though tilted heavily shounen, there seemed to be just a little bit more variety. This year it's the same shows in every category, how boring.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
^^My thoughts as well. Holy cow, I thought last year meant there would be more variety, but this is worse than two years ago when every choice practically was Yuri on Ice if I remember correctly. I'll vote to be heard, but in a number of categories I didn't watch any choices so not sure how I can vote other than just randomly. Just call it the Critic's Choice Awards and be honest at least. Wish they had a "write-in" possibility...

angelmcazares wrote:
The nominations are fine. All the important anime is being represented, but some people love to complain.
Only ~5 anime are "important" and anyone that disagrees are "complainers"? I guess we know who the judges apparently represent then...
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
There's way more than 5 animes represented there and when I went to vote, in most of the categories I was impressed with all or most of the choices available. Even if I didn't watch the show yet, like Vinland Saga or Promised Neverland, I knew it was good anime. So I can only agree with angelmcazares and others who think the nominations are fine.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
Shows that comprised 45-50% of all choices by category (=5)
Carole&Tuesday
Demon Slayer
Vinland Saga
Sarazanmai
Promised Neverland
Shows that Comprised 28-45% (=5)
Mob Psycho II
AoT S2
Kaguya Sama
Jojo Golden Wind
Dr. Stone
All others <22% (=20)
I hope you can see the lopsided distribution in favor of 5 shows. Also, 8% of the judges are associated with Anime World Order, 5% are ANN and the rest are 2.8% each (=31)
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised C&T got so many nominations. It didn't seem very popular or even well liked. I didn't watch it myself but I knew and followed people who did and I thought the consensus was that it showed promise but fell off hard. I guess thats what happens when you live in a bubble. Still, its hard to imagine it winning anything which would be weird for a show nominated so many times.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
Makes voting a mockery when you clearly are biased against certain shows. The choices are too superficial.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3