• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Carole & Tuesday, Demon Slayer, Vinland Saga Land Most Nominations for Crunchyroll's A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF65

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:
I'm surprised C&T got so many nominations. It didn't seem very popular or even well liked. I didn't watch it myself but I knew and followed people who did and I thought the consensus was that it showed promise but fell off hard. I guess thats what happens when you live in a bubble. Still, its hard to imagine it winning anything which would be weird for a show nominated so many times.

If there was a category for "overrated anime of the year" C&T would certainly get my vote. Had it not been directed by Watanabe, it would have largely been ignored.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
I would complain but honestly, these things are mainly decided by like 30 people out of Thousands and thousands of anime fans so there's no way they would make sense or be unbiased
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
If there was a category for "overrated anime of the year" C&T would certainly get my vote. Had it not been directed by Watanabe, it would have largely been ignored.

I'm in general agreement with this view. I only gave C&T a seven at MAL. The production values were better than the story.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

Including shows that are decades old simply because they found a new home on a new streaming platform or home video release isn't a good idea. It would truly cause these awards to stand out from the actual industry because it'd no longer be (in theory) a celebration of Japan. It'd be a celebration of the myriad of American streaming services and companies constantly vying for streaming rights and re-releases every year. Just the fact they only allow legally available anime to be nominated already holds it back, in my opinion. And really, refusing to name a modern anime as Show of the Year and instead citing something old like Twelve Kingdoms as 'best isekai of 2019' would be a totally believable headline I could find at some clickbait website.

He meant an additional category just to old material even if just to raise awareness that it's now available to watch.

Samiamiam wrote:
I'm surprised C&T got so many nominations. It didn't seem very popular or even well liked. I didn't watch it myself but I knew and followed people who did and I thought the consensus was that it showed promise but fell off hard. I guess thats what happens when you live in a bubble. Still, its hard to imagine it winning anything which would be weird for a show nominated so many times.

C&T is what some would call "Oscar Bait" in other places. That much promised "miracle" was in the end a bit embarrassing to watch.
Only the critics seems to like, and having plenty of actual music from good musicians don't make it a good "musical" anime in my option.
And now that I'm talking about C&T I have to say that the "inclusiveness" in this anime is an illusion. It's full of stereotypes just like any other anime, and some actually bothered me while watching.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
No Fruits Basket in Best Anime of the Year, why? *smh* Glad it's up for Best Drama but still I'd put Fruba over O Maidens at least. Demon Slayer I sure wouldn't put in Anime of the Year because really strip away the pretty animation there's not much to it.

Saddened by the stripping of "Ongoing" Category granted it seemed vague but I think it would be appropriate to have it for long runner shows that will guaranteed have more series to come. Then ya know the same shonen shows (My Hero and the likes) don't have to win everything every year. Demon Slayer's lack of nominations in theme songs is surprising, granted I'm biased towards Kajiura/FictionJunction but seemed plenty liked the OP at least.

Surprised to see no Movie category this year but so many movies these days are just franchise films maybe it's harder to just tally an appropriate vote count or nomination pool? But overall the categories really should be more consistent year to year.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't complain that this is the most diverse the crunchyroll awards has gotten so far. Which isn't saying much. At least we get to see some 'non' crunchyroll shows up on the list.

Vinland Saga, Dororo, and C&T.

No Dororo OP though? Are they even awake while making these lists? No doubt it was the most dominating of OP's for 2019.

O Maidens & Stars Align really should have gotten more love...Fruits Basket as well easily could have taken AOTY.

Also, no Kono Oto Tomare? Am I just not recalling that the first season aired before...2019? I mean that was one of my top anime of the past year.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
Also, no Kono Oto Tomare? Am I just not recalling that the first season aired before...2019? I mean that was one of my top anime of the past year.

Both cours aired in 2019. It was one of my top picks last year as well.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
Well, I can't complain that this is the most diverse the crunchyroll awards has gotten so far. Which isn't saying much. At least we get to see some 'non' crunchyroll shows up on the list.

Vinland Saga, Dororo, and C&T.

Also Astra, Dumbbells, Babylon, Baki, Aggretsuko, and Stars Align (Eva for the dub performance as well). Maidens was also a non crunchyroll show, though it is available on VRV, which is owned by CR's parent company.

This isn't the first time the awards have had non CR shows as well.

From 2017: Made in Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, Little Witch Academia, Yuki Yuna's second season, Inuyashiki, Fate/Apocrypha, Scum's Wish, Girls' Last Tour, Princess Principal, Just Because, and Re:Creators.

From 2018: Aggretsuko, Kakegurui, Violet Evergarden, Devilman Crybaby, Wotakoi, Revue Starlight, Banana Fish, Bloom Into You

Even 2016 had one non CR show with Kabaneri, and that didn't prevent it from getting the most nominations that year.

Non Crunchyroll shows have won Anime of the year for two years running (Made in Abyss and Devilman Crybaby) - in other words all but 2016. You can certainly take issue with how they run the awards, but including shows from other platforms was never really one of them.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
While i still don't like the process of how we get to the same 3-4 shows nominated 6-9 times this year is somewhat improved while also being a huge step back.

Some of the more glaring things for me that i'd love to see changed is
-Split Male and Female VA awards
-Split Sci-Fi and Fantasy awards (these are two seperate genre's)
-If something is up for Best X genre it shouldn't also be up for Best Y genre (pick one best of for it to represent).
-Best Anime Film where ?
-More Genre awards (To give room for more shows to see the light of day and not be crowded out by the big 4 the judges cater to)

Like i get that they're going to be having a physical award show but that shouldn't stop you from doing a more comprehensive job of awarding.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
And now that I'm talking about C&T I have to say that the "inclusiveness" in this anime is an illusion. It's full of stereotypes just like any other anime, and some actually bothered me while watching.

Poe's Law at work. What some may view as an offensive stereotype could be easily embraced and lauded as a genuinely empowering presentation to an actual community and vice versa. That clip of the Mermaid Sisters singing and swearing is the only thing most anime fans have ever seen about Carole & Tuesday because of how bizarre, offensive, and over the top it was deemed to get it shared around a lot. But it would also not be out of place at all at any Pride march I've seen. So it seems up to the individual to decide.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:

Both cours aired in 2019. It was one of my top picks last year as well.

I loved Kono Oto Tomare too but let’s face it barley anyone watched it. Neither the critics or audiences who will be voting in this poll. When people say something is underrated this is what they mean.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
That clip of the Mermaid Sisters singing and swearing is the only thing most anime fans have ever seen about Carole & Tuesday because of how bizarre, offensive, and over the top it was deemed to get it shared around a lot.

No! Not that!
That was the single good scene in C&T! Razz
Music "like that" actually exists (and I can't post examples here for obvious reasons Laughing)
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
I would complain but honestly, these things are mainly decided by like 30 people out of Thousands and thousands of anime fans so there's no way they would make sense or be unbiased

Looking over the list of judges, I do wonder just how one would get on this panel. Half the people on it are from websites like Forbes or IGN which aren't exactly known for anime so I'm guessing you don't need to be a big name in the anime community to get on the judging panel so it's probably just a 'who you know' kinda thing.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
Black Clover had bunch of great openings/endings, some insane animated episodes, like #100 one, yet no nominations?
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:15 am Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
Black Clover had bunch of great openings/endings, some insane animated episodes, like #100 one, yet no nominations?

They didn't want to include any continuing series in the Awards which is why you dont see series such as Boruto in here. Though, I agree that it's rather a shame that the one fight you're referring to in Black Clover isn't included as a nominee for Best Fight as it is honestly quite good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3