• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Screen Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll Anime in U.S. Thea

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
https://www.amazon.co.jp/【Amazon-co-jp限定】ヴァイオレット・エヴァーガーデン-外伝-永遠と自動手記人形-Blu-ray-三方背スリーブケース付/dp/B083PF673B/ref=tmm_blu_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Blu-ray drops 12th March

You should be glad you live in the US - the amount of film screenings of Anime in the UK is quite sparse. Not to mention a lot of titles released in the UK are usually 1 - 2 seasons behind them being released in the US. I'm glad that I can (mostly) watch things raw albeit some vocab sails right past me LOL.

Will be quite a culture shock when I'm back in the UK end of year and not able to see anime on day of release at my local multiplex (I saw Violet Evergarden on the first / second day of release in Japan)
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Why only English Subtitle screening? I started to go to the cinemas last year to see Gkids films dubbed. I don't want to spend about $16 and drive 45 minutes to the closest cinema (then 45 minutes back home.) just to see subtitles. I can't wait, I'm going to see Weathering With You dubbed in English on Wednesday January 15th.

Exactly my point-I refuse to pay $14 to see subbed only anime. No dub-no watch.
Well don't complain when you don't get quality theatrical releases of anime. Support them getting shown, and you might get more.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
zrdb wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Why only English Subtitle screening? I started to go to the cinemas last year to see Gkids films dubbed. I don't want to spend about $16 and drive 45 minutes to the closest cinema (then 45 minutes back home.) just to see subtitles. I can't wait, I'm going to see Weathering With You dubbed in English on Wednesday January 15th.

Exactly my point-I refuse to pay $14 to see subbed only anime. No dub-no watch.
Well don't complain when you don't get quality theatrical releases of anime. Support them getting shown, and you might get more.

I will support the movies at cinemas that get dubbed. Honestly I don’t even know what Violet Evergarden is about but being sub only doesn’t make me even care.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I will support the movies at cinemas that get dubbed. Honestly I don’t even know what Violet Evergarden is about but being sub only doesn’t make me even care.
I’m old enough to remember when you wanted to watch anime movies you either rent Manga dubs from Blockbuster and nine times out of ten Record Town would only sell the dub VHS for like $24. So it was a rare experience if you got to see subbed anime back in those days. Most likely this is a license issue and since Netflix controls the license for the dub, Funimation probably doesn’t have the rights to the dub, just like Netflix had to make their own dub of Saiki K. And this is the sequel to a recent Kyoto Animation TV series which was burned down in an arson attack last year and your tone seems unnecessarily dismissive.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Exciting news! If this gets released near me, I'll definitely go see it. And I'm super happy that its gonna be subbed. Unlike some in this thread, I'm sub or go home. Very Happy
Nakiri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
TBH. The movie came out in my country about a month ago so I already seen what happened. Heads up. Its shorter than expected
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
While I hadn't seen Violet Evergarden myself yet, I'm glad that the movie will be airing in the US for people that want to see it. It does stink that it's going to be sub-only - which, if I was wanting to see this movie, would be a deal-breaker for me in theaters due to my husband refusing/unable to really pay attention to subtitles - but hopefully that won't deter people too much from trying to see it if they are really big fans of the series. The one thing I do kinda hope they'll do in the credits is add some sort of dedication or in memorial to those that had died in the KyoAni arson, although I'm not sure if Funi will have the ability/rights to do that.
Matriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
As long as I don't have to drive to drive 5+ hours to see it, I'll do what I can to make it to this screening. Someone on Reddit says Funi's theatrical releases have at times been super limited. I'd like to support this release and Kyoani as much as I can.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Aha, at last we have word! I hope this gets released fairly widely, because I absolutely want to see and support this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2